Am I racist? Or just a statistician?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Am I racist? Or just a statistician?
I was thinking about titling this thread 'whats wrong with being a stereotype?' Anyway, let me explain.

I don't consider myself racist. Because I'm not.

Stereotypical? Maybe. But if you fight not being a stereotype then you fight evolution IMO.

But one thing I am for sure, is a statistician. I know, as an evolved human being. statistically if I had my choice of

A). going down an alley with 3 black people dressed liked thugs dancing to (what looks like) rap music.

or

B). going down an alley with 3 white people dressed in suits.

Guess what, I'm going down B. But I'm white. IDK. Maybe it would be different for a black man. Or asian whatever....

Now if it was

A). 3 black people in suits. Looking to be maybe theists, perhaps some Jehovahs witnesses preaching.

or

B). 3 White people looking shitty and trashy as hell desperate for $.

Guess what, I'm going down A.

But my decision is only based off the light that bounced off of them and into my eyes and my brain deciphering the best decision for my survival. Yes?

Now let's be honest. Statistically black people are more prone to violence. Yes? Have you ever seen 'Boys N the hood.'? The very beginning words are, 'One out of every 21 Black American males will be murdered'. Most will die at the hands of another Black male.'

Let's talk about this.

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2012, 09:08 AM
RE: Am I racist? Or just a statistician?
(22-07-2012 12:09 AM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  I was thinking about titling this thread 'whats wrong with being a stereotype?' Anyway, let me explain.

I don't consider myself racist. Because I'm not.

Stereotypical? Maybe. But if you fight not being a stereotype then you fight evolution IMO.

But one thing I am for sure, is a statistician. I know, as an evolved human being. statistically if I had my choice of

A). going down an alley with 3 black people dressed liked thugs dancing to (what looks like) rap music.

or

B). going down an alley with 3 white people dressed in suits.
Those 3 white guys you mentioned? Yeah, they are Mafioso. You just witnessed them kill someone. Bad luck, pal.

[Image: opforum1.png]
23-07-2012, 01:40 AM
Could this double thread be locked please? To avoid confusion?

Thank you.

P.S.

Got to get me some of those moderator rights to do this on my own... Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
23-07-2012, 11:48 PM
I'm confused already.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-07-2012, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2012 02:03 PM by Peterkin.)
(22-07-2012 12:09 AM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  Now let's be honest. Statistically black people are more prone to violence. Yes? Have you ever seen 'Boys N the hood.'? The very beginning words are, 'One out of every 21 Black American males will be murdered'. Most will die at the hands of another Black male.'

Let's talk about this.

OK. Lies, damn lies and statistics?
I understand your position. Everyone takes such positions every day, whether they're aware of it or not. We make judgments based on what we've experienced, what we've been taught, what we've seen, what we've heard. And we make those judgments in the context of an environment and situation, and under the influence of mood, atmosphere and emotion.

But if you want to think about it objectively (when you're safe and calm), the first thing i advise you to examine your data.

- I have to assume from the future tense that this is not a current statistic but a prediction about the future, based on events of the past.
- It is predicated on an assumption that social dynamics in America are constant and will not change within the time-range of the prediction.
- Because we have no indication of that time-range, and are given no source for the past statistic, the prediction is already factually suspect.
- Even if we accept the factual basis, we have no context for it in this instance (though i believe one was given in the film)

Not included in the statement:
- the relative income of African Americans by percent of population, by geographical region, by age or gender
- the physical, economic, political, social and psychological environments in which the Black males in question are now living, and are expected to live in the future encompassed by the prediction
- peri-natal health, nurturing, nutrition, early childhood enrichment, socialization, education and role-models available in the various environments
- employment, career and improvement opportunities available in those environments
- the means and methods whereby the murder of every 21st Black man or boy is accomplished
- how many is meant by "most" of 1 in 21
- any comparison between incidence of murder in San Francisco gated communities where successful professional Black men live and Detroit burn-outs, post-Katrina refugee camps and mid-western farming towns... In fact, you've given us no geographic or demographic reference points at all.

Now - remove from the prediction all murders (1st and 2nd degree, also manslaughter) of Black males committed by a person of another race, including law enforcement personnel.
Next - remove all deaths resulting from fights engaged in voluntarily by two or more combatants
Then - pinpoint the location of the remaining deaths
Finally: compare that map to a corresponding map for Caucasians, Latinos, Asians and Amerindians

Are you sure the Blacks are more prone to violence? If you are still sure, does the map you've just created offer any possible explanation as to why this may be? Does the map suggest ways that you might avoid becoming a victim of violence by Black men?

Using statistics as a source of decision-making information doesn't make you a bigot. Accepting them uncritically and without perspective may put you at risk of becoming one.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
24-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Uh oh this should have been locked. Here is the bigger conversation Smile

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...cian--8734
25-07-2012, 12:03 AM
DUUUUUH!

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson