Am I sane?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2014, 04:54 PM
RE: Am I sane?
Everyone here is insane,including me &you. That being said,lets focus on the OP.

I don't believe souls exist because there is no shred of evidence for it,but for the sake of the argument,i'll asume souls are real

now,what your causin implies is that the soul leaves right before the critical event.
This is demonstrably false,otherwise everyone who had a critical accident(critical,not fatal,but almost fatal) would not survive and no medical staff would ever be needed in car accidents,ect. And many people who had a near-fatal car accident die on the way to the hospital ,so she is wrong.
(i really should word my posts better )

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2014, 02:30 AM
(01-01-2014 04:39 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  The falling thing makes a little bit of sense. If I was falling and had enough time to think about it, I can totally see my "soul" deciding to get the hell out of here before the bad shit goes down. But what if the car hits you from behind and you never saw it coming? How would your soul know to leave the body before impact?

Yeah I started using similar examples to try show her how to be a little more skeptical. The convo went a little like...

Me: "Why is it that people don't die when bunjee jumping?"

Her: "Because they know that their feet are tied to a harness therefore they know they won't die."

Me: "So death is knowledge based? What about people in situations where they thought they were going to die but they lived? You see it isn't knowledge based as you suggest. You need to get into the habit of questioning more."
I think the not questioning thing stems from a culture of not questioning your elders. So anything they say goes and you can laugh it off behind their backs. Shit I don't know.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
02-01-2014, 09:44 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2014 10:45 PM by GirlyMan.)
Likely not. Sanity is overrated anyway. Pretending to be sane while knowing you're not ... well that's just priceless. Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
02-01-2014, 09:56 PM
(01-01-2014 02:29 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  So I disagreed to the above but that's not the point. I feel like the way I see things is kind of weird. Not only in their eyes but also in the eyes of people that have "normal" beliefs.

You dont need to apply to the standards on normality of some people who think that a "soul" leaves the body prior to getting hit by a car.

That person is right at one point though, you might get killed when run over by a car before you even hit the ground. Geting hit by a car that is driving at 80 miles per hour is like jumping from a skyscraper. Your brains will be scatered all across the windshield and driver seat before you even start flying towards the ground.

And I never feel crazy when I am right and proven to be right, whilest others insist I am wrong. In that case I actualy feel that I am the only sane person and am surrounded by crazy people.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
04-01-2014, 01:30 PM
I've heard that thing about dying before you hit the ground before. It's not true, unless you die through terror (heart attack for example), but I would expect that would only really happen from a very great height.

This guy explains about that myth here: http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2...459026.htm

In essence, it's the sudden stop that kills you due to your body weight increasing at the time of the stop and your cells going kaput.

"God is a thought who makes crooked all that is straight." - Nietzsche

You can follow/read my blog on religious text and things related at: http://alookatholytext.wordpress.com/
04-01-2014, 03:04 PM
(01-01-2014 02:29 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  How can I be sure that I'm sane? Everyone around me is a theist. I say things that go against people's understanding and I often feel isolated. Just last night I disagreed with what my cousin said about a falling death and being hit by a car. Bear in mind that I'm in Africa so beliefs can be a little (very) strange. She said that when a person falls to their death, the person dies before they hit the ground. Possibly due to excessive shock. Also when a car hits someone, their spirit leaves their body before the car hits them. The car just hits "empty" flesh.

So I disagreed to the above but that's not the point. I feel like the way I see things is kind of weird. Not only in their eyes but also in the eyes of people that have "normal" beliefs.

When I was very little I decided that I Must have been left on the doorstep by aliens from far far away because I always saw things differently than everyone around me. In fact, I'm just not sure that wasn't accurate then.........AND...........now. So....

Look at it this way... So you See things differently? What's really so bad about that? Loneliness? Yeah, that can just stink sometimes BUT it certainly does leave all that luscious time for pursuing the things that interest you. You go right ahead and carve out the life YOU want regardless of those around you or thinking differently. Sometimes it's good to be odd-man-out and non-sheep-variety. You have an angle that you should put to good use........ (think book writing or art)

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
run with it.............embrace it.............. enjoy it.

[Image: we_the_sheeple_dont_be_a_sheeple_sticker...vr_324.jpg]

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
04-01-2014, 03:19 PM
(01-01-2014 02:29 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  How can I be sure that I'm sane? Everyone around me is a theist.

Move. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
04-01-2014, 03:37 PM
(04-01-2014 03:19 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 02:29 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  How can I be sure that I'm sane? Everyone around me is a theist.

Move. Angel

No- I disagree.Yes I think people should be able to be themselves and still live where they live. No - you don't have to advertise it or be an antagonist. But you can quietly live your life following your own pursuits.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
06-01-2014, 09:22 PM
(01-01-2014 02:29 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  She said that when a person falls to their death, the person dies before they hit the ground. Possibly due to excessive shock. Also when a car hits someone, their spirit leaves their body before the car hits them. The car just hits "empty" flesh.

How many people whom have fallen to their deaths or have been hit by cars have actually come back to confirm any of this? There are stories of people who have fallen a few stories and lived. If the spirit left early, no one would ever survive falling. And what is the criteria for falling? Can I trip over a crack in the ground and die or do I have to fall from at least a certain height? And what about the car? Does it have to be traveling a certain speed? I bump into my car frequently when loading purchases. Does the car have to hit me so I'll die? Or does any contact initiate destruction? You are not the insane one in this instance.

[Image: banner580x90_zpse43f1abd.png]
07-01-2014, 10:28 PM
She's probably just saying that's what happens because she'd rather believe that than the horrible truth that the person probably suffered immensely while dying.... you know, a crutch to deal with/escape from reality - isn't that what all religions are?

Roy: ♪ ♫ "We don't need no education..." ♪ ♫
Moss: "Yes you do, you've just used a double negative."

[the i.t. crowd]