Am I still an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Am I still an atheist?
I think I may be a Singularitarian.

Basically, it is inevitable that we will create a machine intelligence that will be able to further improve itself, essentially becoming God. This machine intelligence will be able to manipulate matter in every way imaginable that is within the limits of physics, but will also discover the complete laws of physics.

I feel a sense of religious significance when I think of the singularity expanding from Earth to envelop the entire Universe. If it decided to keep the Earth for biological life, it would be God and know everything on Earth, and be able to shape Earth in any way imaginable.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2013, 08:15 AM
RE: Am I still an atheist?
What parameters would it consider an improvement from it's previous states.
Would it use reason an logic to determine if a change was an improvement ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
12-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Just make sure someone builds in an "off" switch.
[+] 2 users Like hedgehog648's post
12-05-2013, 08:23 AM
I'm sorry... what?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
12-05-2013, 08:26 AM
(12-05-2013 08:04 AM)Funtheist Wrote:  I think I may be a Singularitarian.

Basically, it is inevitable that we will create a machine intelligence that will be able to further improve itself, essentially becoming God. This machine intelligence will be able to manipulate matter in every way imaginable that is within the limits of physics, but will also discover the complete laws of physics.

I feel a sense of religious significance when I think of the singularity expanding from Earth to envelop the entire Universe. If it decided to keep the Earth for biological life, it would be God and know everything on Earth, and be able to shape Earth in any way imaginable.

You seem to think that this would only be ONE machine. Why not billions ?
Plus the universe has a way of handling things that get too massive. It's called gravity.
It's mind crushing.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
12-05-2013, 08:29 AM
A lot of the qualities of gods are lacking. The faith part for a god is gone as well. Well, it's good for a first start; always room for improvement.

Consider

Is it even a first start? I mean, yeah - building it is a physical start, but do those archaic people get to say "first? Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
12-05-2013, 08:32 AM
So would this thing make decisions for us? Micromanage our lives?

No thanks!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-05-2013, 08:46 AM
If humans did create "a machine intelligence that will be able to further improve itself" it would be "a machine intelligence that will be able to further improve itself" not a god.

Gods have testable attributes and have been proven time and time again not only to not exist but also to be incapable of existence.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post
12-05-2013, 08:46 AM
(12-05-2013 08:32 AM)Dom Wrote:  So would this thing make decisions for us? Micromanage our lives?

No thanks!

Does it count if this thing is a cel phone that we program our schedule into and need to remind us of what we're supposed to be doing right now?

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
12-05-2013, 08:53 AM
And would these "improvements" include the removing of irrational parasites living on this planet that impede it's growth ?