Am I the only atheist opposed to same-sex marriage?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Am I the only atheist opposed to same-sex marriage?
Allow me to state my view.

Being non-religious, I don't oppose same-sex marriage from a church or 'moral' point of view. I don't accept that the church or any other faith 'owns' the 'sacrament' of marriage. Rather, I oppose it from a socio-biological point of view.

Stripped down to its bare essentials, a marriage certificate is a legal document. It seems to me that, by far, the principal reason for marriage as a legal institution is to sanction the procreation of children - i.e the continuation of the human species.

The vast majority of studies I've read suggest that, GENERALLY speaking, children who are product of married parents tend to make more rounded citizens than those whose parents are separated/divorced, in terms of how long they remain in education, salary level, likelihood of spending time in prison etc. Therefore, couples who intend to marry in order to establish a stable foundation for the production of children should be incentivised by the state to do so (tax/inheritance benefits). It's in society's interests.

This ties in with the time-honoured definition of marriage being a union between a man and a woman, essentially because they represent the two components required for sexual reproduction. A same-sex couple represents one component only. In terms of entitlement to legally marry, this is not the same as a hetero couple who choose not to have children or are unable to do so for some physiological reason. Put simply, a same-sex couple has zero potential for producing a family therefore has no legal justification for marrying. Acquiring children by arranging for someone outside the relationship to provide the opposite sexual component required, so that one partner becomes a biological parent and the other is entitled to legally adopt the child, is a practice I would question the ethics of. It seems to wilfully deny a child its other biological parent.

I am not opposed to same-sex relationships per se but I draw the line at marriage. In my view, that can only ever be defined as a union between a man and a woman. It simply isn't a discrimination or equalities issue.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2014, 12:51 PM
RE: Am I the only atheist opposed to same-sex marriage?
K - I ran a thread yesterday SPECIFICALLY Asking those who oppose same sex marriage to SPEAK up ??? Where were you?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
05-01-2014, 12:53 PM
(05-01-2014 12:50 PM)veitstoss Wrote:  Allow me to state my view.

Being non-religious, I don't oppose same-sex marriage from a church or 'moral' point of view. I don't accept that the church or any other faith 'owns' the 'sacrament' of marriage. Rather, I oppose it from a socio-biological point of view.

Stripped down to its bare essentials, a marriage certificate is a legal document. It seems to me that, by far, the principal reason for marriage as a legal institution is to sanction the procreation of children - i.e the continuation of the human species.

The vast majority of studies I've read suggest that, GENERALLY speaking, children who are product of married parents tend to make more rounded citizens than those whose parents are separated/divorced, in terms of how long they remain in education, salary level, likelihood of spending time in prison etc. Therefore, couples who intend to marry in order to establish a stable foundation for the production of children should be incentivised by the state to do so (tax/inheritance benefits). It's in society's interests.

This ties in with the time-honoured definition of marriage being a union between a man and a woman, essentially because they represent the two components required for sexual reproduction. A same-sex couple represents one component only. In terms of entitlement to legally marry, this is not the same as a hetero couple who choose not to have children or are unable to do so for some physiological reason. Put simply, a same-sex couple has zero potential for producing a family therefore has no legal justification for marrying. Acquiring children by arranging for someone outside the relationship to provide the opposite sexual component required, so that one partner becomes a biological parent and the other is entitled to legally adopt the child, is a practice I would question the ethics of. It seems to wilfully deny a child its other biological parent.

I am not opposed to same-sex relationships per se but I draw the line at marriage. In my view, that can only ever be defined as a union between a man and a woman. It simply isn't a discrimination or equalities issue.

In my view you are an idiot.
[+] 6 users Like Losty's post
05-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Marriage, and the legality thereof, is not just about resulting children. There are hetero couples that don't or can't have children. So, by your thinking there is no reason for them to marry either. And if they do and children don't result, the union should be dissolved.

Same sex couples should be able to have the same legal rights as to things like property and health care decisions regarding their partners. As it stands, they are often excluded during very important life events due to not having that legal bond.

I’m not anti-social. I’m pro-solitude. ~Author Unknown
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
05-01-2014, 12:57 PM
(05-01-2014 12:53 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 12:50 PM)veitstoss Wrote:  Allow me to state my view.

In my view you are an idiot.

Yep - I'm with you LAI.

Trying to explain to folks why same sex marriage is ZERO problem in society goes a little something like this:
[Image: 6d467b30.gif]

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 3 users Like WitchSabrina's post
05-01-2014, 01:02 PM
We've been trough all this before, haven't we.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 6 users Like Slowminded's post
05-01-2014, 01:04 PM
(05-01-2014 12:57 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Marriage, and the legality thereof, is not just about resulting children. There are hetero couples that don't or can't have children. So, by your thinking there is no reason for them to marry either. And if they do and children don't result, the union should be dissolved.
I addressed the issue of hetero couples who don't or can't have children. Marriage and the legality of it is not about resulting children but the potential for having them in terms of the components required for sexual reproduction.
05-01-2014, 01:05 PM
(05-01-2014 01:02 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  We've been trough all this before, haven't we.

But not with this obviously narrow-minded...err...umm...person.

[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
05-01-2014, 01:05 PM
(05-01-2014 12:51 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  K - I ran a thread yesterday SPECIFICALLY Asking those who oppose same sex marriage to SPEAK up ??? Where were you?
Sorry - I wasn't on the forum yesterday!
05-01-2014, 01:06 PM
(05-01-2014 01:04 PM)veitstoss Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 12:57 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Marriage, and the legality thereof, is not just about resulting children. There are hetero couples that don't or can't have children. So, by your thinking there is no reason for them to marry either. And if they do and children don't result, the union should be dissolved.
I addressed the issue of hetero couples who don't or can't have children. Marriage and the legality of it is not about resulting children but the potential for having them in terms of the components required for sexual reproduction.

You are homophobic, you just don't want to phrase it that way. You have no other reason for such a stance.

[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post