Am I the only atheist opposed to same-sex marriage?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2014, 10:50 AM
RE: Am I the only atheist opposed to same-sex marriage?
(06-01-2014 08:33 AM)veitstoss Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 06:47 AM)Dom Wrote:  Well, if you are not religious, you are culturally indoctrinated, i.e. you are defending a view that has been held around you as you grew up.

Coming from a different generation, I am not unfamiliar with that. When gay pride started, all kinds of otherwise reasonable people shared your view - it was the status quo.

Long as you start thinking about it and growing, that's ok. Question the attitudes you grew up with, the reason they are largely not shared anymore is because they don't make sense.

Society evolves just as we evolve physically. There was a time when women were thought to be too stupid to vote. Most all men thought so. It was a long struggle to get that changed. Now the struggle gays have fought for some 40+ years is finally starting to succeed. Of course there will be resistant pockets of the population. Give it 20 years and no one will think that gays don't deserve to have the same legal rights straights do.

It's time to base your opinions on facts, not hear say.
Fair enough, Dom - I take your points on board.

That's cool. You stepped into a hornit's nest here - a lot of people feel very strongly about this - especially now, where the end of discrimination is in sight.

Like I said, coming from an older generation, I have watched the whole development of this, and I am not surprised that there are still pockets of people who don't get it. Back when this whole thing started to come to light and out of the closet, it was tons worse.

I draw a lot of satisfaction and hope from the progress both women and gays have made during my lifetime - I can see atheists making the same progress in the near future.

IMO trashing those who still hold older beliefs does nothing to further the cause - quite the opposite, it stifles it. Education is so much more effective.

Think of the example of a California gay couple who lived together as a couple for some 30 years. They shared everything, they bought a house, furnished it, bought bunches of collector's items and so on. Unfortunately, like a lot of married couples, they did not think ahead and put everything in one person's name. Now, if you are married, your spouse inherits by default in most states. Not so here. The one person got very ill. The partner was unable to see them in the hospital since only relatives are allowed. Now the partner died, and the state claimed the entire inheritance. The surviving partner was left alone and in the streets, not even having been able to comfort the dying partner.

How is that right? It's just so very wrong!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
06-01-2014, 11:07 AM
(06-01-2014 10:37 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 10:29 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Hello, I'mma just poke my head in because I'm on my 1:00-2:00 AM high and have nothing better to do and thus will ignore everything prior to the OP, and most of that too.

There isn't anything prior to the OP. Just saying Tongue

It was 2:something AM, what do you want from me!?

..Still My statement is correct.

(06-01-2014 10:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Fucking FT...here's a bug! Let's squish it with my thermonuclear device! Big Grin

Was it something I said?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
06-01-2014, 11:09 AM
(06-01-2014 11:07 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Was it something I said?

Nope. The OP is well and truly nuked. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2014, 11:38 AM
(06-01-2014 11:07 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  ...
(06-01-2014 10:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Fucking FT...here's a bug! Let's squish it with my thermonuclear device! Big Grin

Was it something I said?

No. Just when you said it.

Once someone throws up their hands and waves the white flag, it's bad form to throw another grenade.

Don't fret though... not the first time and won't be the last when someone weighs in with "I don't care what anyone has said so far but... hello? ... hello? where has everyone gone?"

Tongue

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
06-01-2014, 11:54 AM
(06-01-2014 09:49 AM)veitstoss Wrote:  Yes, sorry for that as well. I did want to respond in more detail to those who questioned me logically but was in and out doing other things. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered with the whole enterprise as it seems to have gone down like a mug of chilled vomit. I just wanted to get some opinions but underestimated the level of hostility fired at me! Rest assured I'll take Dom's advice and cogitate on this one. But I would like to state for the record that I'm not a theist or a troll. With that, I'll get out of your hair.

Well I'll be...

Humility and a willingness to reevaluate one's views on an internet forum. You don't see that very often.

I, for one, applaud your display of intellectual integrity! Thumbsup
[+] 6 users Like Elcarch's post
06-01-2014, 12:28 PM
(06-01-2014 10:03 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 09:49 AM)veitstoss Wrote:  Yes, sorry for that as well. I did want to respond in more detail to those who questioned me logically but was in and out doing other things. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered with the whole enterprise as it seems to have gone down like a mug of chilled vomit. I just wanted to get some opinions but underestimated the level of hostility fired at me! Rest assured I'll take Dom's advice and cogitate on this one. But I would like to state for the record that I'm not a theist or a troll. With that, I'll get out of your hair.

I am completely unfamiliar with chilled vomit. I can honestly say I am sorry that you are. *wink*
Now.......... I suggest rather than leave that you stick around and hang out with us a little. This particular topic is a hot one and there IS emotion in it for most people. Basis most often being if YOU are allowed your feelings on the matter (and how you live accordingly) then so do others. Surely you can appreciate that?

Don't go......... maybe just leave your prejudice alone for awhile and discuss other things. There's more to you than this ONE opinion I'm sure.

cheers

I also sent this to Viet in the form of a PM. Hopefully, he reads his mail.
Thumbsup

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
06-01-2014, 12:35 PM
(06-01-2014 11:38 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 11:07 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  ...

Was it something I said?

No. Just when you said it.

Once someone throws up their hands and waves the white flag, it's bad form to throw another grenade.

Don't fret though... not the first time and won't be the last when someone weighs in with "I don't care what anyone has said so far but... hello? ... hello? where has everyone gone?"

Tongue

Nah, DLJ, he was merely making a prophecy. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-01-2014, 01:35 PM
[/quote]

I am completely unfamiliar with chilled vomit. I can honestly say I am sorry that you are. *wink*
Now.......... I suggest rather than leave that you stick around and hang out with us a little. This particular topic is a hot one and there IS emotion in it for most people. Basis most often being if YOU are allowed your feelings on the matter (and how you live accordingly) then so do others. Surely you can appreciate that?

Don't go......... maybe just leave your prejudice alone for awhile and discuss other things. There's more to you than this ONE opinion I'm sure.

cheers
[/quote]
Thank you for your forbearance, Sabrina. It was clumsy of me to outline my argument in such plain terms. It's certainly an emotive issue here and I found out the hard way! Still, I'll take the positives out of this and hope to chip in on future debates, though I'll probably try another tack - like diplomacy, for example...
[+] 6 users Like veitstoss's post
06-01-2014, 01:40 PM
(06-01-2014 01:35 PM)veitstoss Wrote:  
Quote:I am completely unfamiliar with chilled vomit. I can honestly say I am sorry that you are. *wink*

cheers
Thank you for your forbearance, Sabrina. It was clumsy of me to outline my argument in such plain terms. It's certainly an emotive issue here and I found out the hard way! Still, I'll take the positives out of this and hope to chip in on future debates, though I'll probably try another tack - like diplomacy, for example...

Ok ok I'm going to try to help you out here.
If you remove every - then this is how you quote:

[-quote-] whatever you're quoting [-/quote-]

Just take out all the -, and you wil be quoting properly Smile
06-01-2014, 01:45 PM

cheers
[/quote]
[/quote]
Okay, you can stay. Dodgy

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy