Am I the only atheist opposed to same-sex marriage?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2014, 01:47 PM
RE: Am I the only atheist opposed to same-sex marriage?
Yeah, no reason to split. I'm sure there are hundreds of issues people disagree on here, but if we all left every time we did, there'd be no forum. Stick around.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
06-01-2014, 02:11 PM

I am completely unfamiliar with chilled vomit. I can honestly say I am sorry that you are. *wink*
Now.......... I suggest rather than leave that you stick around and hang out with us a little. This particular topic is a hot one and there IS emotion in it for most people. Basis most often being if YOU are allowed your feelings on the matter (and how you live accordingly) then so do others. Surely you can appreciate that?

Don't go......... maybe just leave your prejudice alone for awhile and discuss other things. There's more to you than this ONE opinion I'm sure.

cheers
[/quote]
Thank you for your forbearance, Sabrina. It was clumsy of me to outline my argument in such plain terms. It's certainly an emotive issue here and I found out the hard way! Still, I'll take the positives out of this and hope to chip in on future debates, though I'll probably try another tack - like diplomacy, for example...
[/quote]

I don't think you need to be overly diplomatic here --- and please realize you're as welcome to your opinions as anyone else. But - be aware if your opinions catch flack that's just other people here expressing Their opinions same as you. No one better - No one worse than the other.
As long as you keep that in mind - you'll do fine here --- right?

Certainly I do not think you should leave. Do I have problems with prejudiced people? Yes I do. But as I stated already - I'm sure there's a Lot more to you than this one opinion you hold regarding gays.

I hope you stay.
We're really not bad - and in fact we're fun at times.

ThumbsupBig GrinThumbsupBig Grin

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
06-01-2014, 02:40 PM
I have to say I disagree with this lynch mob mentality.
If this was a real life community he would be hanging from a tree by now.

*crosses his arms and pouts *

...then goes to fetch the rope Big Grin

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 3 users Like Slowminded's post
06-01-2014, 02:57 PM
(06-01-2014 02:40 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I have to say I disagree with this lynch mob mentality.

LOL Slow.
I have noticed that quite a bit - several forum members hold the same opinion of _________ xyz matter and voice their opinions only to get to page 2 or 3 of such a thread and someone throws down "lynch mob" comment.
Actually, it's annoying.
Can't stand the heat - get out of the kitchen - right? LOL People should get to have their say = even negative ones. If people were saying "Get him out of here" backed up with several other members stating "YEAH - do that" then lynch mob would apply......otherwise........ I don't see it that way myself.

just my two cents worth

06-01-2014, 03:27 PM
(06-01-2014 02:57 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 02:40 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I have to say I disagree with this lynch mob mentality.

LOL Slow.
I have noticed that quite a bit - several forum members hold the same opinion of _________ xyz matter and voice their opinions only to get to page 2 or 3 of such a thread and someone throws down "lynch mob" comment.
Actually, it's annoying.
Can't stand the heat - get out of the kitchen - right? LOL People should get to have their say = even negative ones. If people were saying "Get him out of here" backed up with several other members stating "YEAH - do that" then lynch mob would apply......otherwise........ I don't see it that way myself.

just my two cents worth

I don't mind telling people that they are idiots or worse, and I agree with "if you can't take the heat..." , it's just that this avalanche of negative rep seems a bit excessive.
Everybody knows that you can't get anybody out of here by a popular vote, so a negative rep is the most harm they can inflict.
I can't escape the feeling that if there was more they could do, they would. I wonder where it would stop?

If we gonna demand tolerance , shouldn't we show some ourselves?

Our tolerance (that we are so proud of? ) is only tested when we disagree with somebody,no?

All that said, I'm happy either way. I don't mind a nice hanging.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
06-01-2014, 03:43 PM
(06-01-2014 03:27 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 02:57 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  LOL Slow.
Actually, it's annoying.

just my two cents worth

I don't mind telling people that they are idiots or worse, and I agree with "if you can't take the heat..." , it's just that this avalanche of negative rep seems a bit excessive.
Everybody knows that you can't get anybody out of here by a popular vote, so a negative rep is the most harm they can inflict.
I can't escape the feeling that if there was more they could do, they would. I wonder where it would stop?

Our tolerance (that we are so proud of? ) is only tested when we disagree with somebody,no?

I think a conversation on Tolerance (or lack thereof) and what limits are/are not deserves a good thread of its own. *wink* Dodgy Sometimes it's good to get things like that expressed AND it's good to take forum temp to see how everyone feels. See? I tend to think Soooo far towards Tolerance that I support people like Taq. Censorship and gang-think blows IMHO. Buuut........ others see that as the opposite of tolerance.
So......

yeahUnsure

06-01-2014, 03:54 PM
(06-01-2014 03:43 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 03:27 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I don't mind telling people that they are idiots or worse, and I agree with "if you can't take the heat..." , it's just that this avalanche of negative rep seems a bit excessive.

I think a conversation on Tolerance (or lack thereof) and what limits are/are not deserves a good thread of its own. *wink* Dodgy Sometimes it's good to get things like that expressed AND it's good to take forum temp to see how everyone feels. See? I tend to think Soooo far towards Tolerance that I support people like Taq. Censorship and gang-think blows IMHO. Buuut........ others see that as the opposite of tolerance.
So......

yeahUnsure

I am not proposing any kind of censorship . Unsure

Anyway, I'm just gonna slowly walk away biting my tongue...

06-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Hopefully this thread has devolved enough at this point for the following...

This thread has me thinking about grammer (yes, I did that on purpose), tone and meaning of a statement.

There's a big difference between:

I fucking hate gays.

and:

I hate fucking gays.

Yes/No? For the record, I hate neither (well, I have no experience with one, but if I did, I hope I'd be good at it and find some enjoyment in it)
[+] 2 users Like Regular_Joe's post
06-01-2014, 04:00 PM
I tend to look at things from the point of view of "how constructive is this?"

Now. granted, with some people there is just nothing constructive to say or do.

But I don't think that was the case here.

The Op is perfectly willing to think about things. And that is constructive, because obviously he is in an environment that supports his position. When he changes his views, he will present them to others, and it spreads.

THAT is what helps the cause. beating someone down does not.

Just my two bits.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
06-01-2014, 04:08 PM
(06-01-2014 04:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  THAT is what helps the cause. beating someone down does not.

But on the other hand, something provoking a strong response may well seem to cue the beatdown without anyone ever having any such intent, given the nature of asymmetric communication; if responses are independently but along similar lines, or are made without considering the entire thread post-OP, or similar. And a contentious topic ("some people are more equal than others" isn't going to go down well!) is going to get some strong responses.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post