Am I the only atheist opposed to same-sex marriage?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2014, 04:14 PM
RE: Am I the only atheist opposed to same-sex marriage?
I don't think calling him an idiot after reading the op was really all that uncalled for. Now, after seeing his response to Dom's advice I will gladly take it back.
OP Dom had some really great advice and I hope you take it like you said.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
06-01-2014, 04:18 PM
Is this thread still going? Wink

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
06-01-2014, 04:19 PM
(06-01-2014 04:08 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 04:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  THAT is what helps the cause. beating someone down does not.

But on the other hand, something provoking a strong response may well seem to cue the beatdown without anyone ever having any such intent, given the nature of asymmetric communication; if responses are independently but along similar lines, or are made without considering the entire thread post-OP, or similar. And a contentious topic ("some people are more equal than others" isn't going to go down well!) is going to get some strong responses.

Considering the position they took holds no water and has been rather thoroughly destroyed many many times including in the recent DOMA case shows that the OP has not even done basic research on this so I don't feel I need to respect their views. I did however include a citation for the point I raised so if they were going to check their views they could.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
06-01-2014, 04:21 PM
(06-01-2014 04:18 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Is this thread still going? Wink

My exact thoughts!

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
06-01-2014, 04:34 PM
(06-01-2014 04:18 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Is this thread still going? Wink

Actually we were talking about a few different things.......not just the OP alone. I thought it was going well. There's good stuff in here - not just prejudices.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
06-01-2014, 04:39 PM
(06-01-2014 04:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Considering the position they took holds no water and has been rather thoroughly destroyed many many times including in the recent DOMA case shows that the OP has not even done basic research on this so I don't feel I need to respect their views. I did however include a citation for the point I raised so if they were going to check their views they could.

Fair enough - but what I was getting at is that your (justifiable and valid) response in concert with other (similar) responses can be off-putting en mass whereas as singly they might be addressed.

But of course on the flipside there's the fact that the old "no u dogpile me" defense is often resorted to when one is looking for a cheap way not to respond to anything.

But the OP seems to have enough honesty and integrity to actually introspect a little, so there's that.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
06-01-2014, 04:43 PM
I wait and see. Changing tack suddenly is *also* classic troll tactic. If he genuine will come out in the wash.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
06-01-2014, 04:46 PM
(06-01-2014 04:39 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 04:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Considering the position they took holds no water and has been rather thoroughly destroyed many many times including in the recent DOMA case shows that the OP has not even done basic research on this so I don't feel I need to respect their views. I did however include a citation for the point I raised so if they were going to check their views they could.

Fair enough - but what I was getting at is that your (justifiable and valid) response in concert with other (similar) responses can be off-putting en mass whereas as singly they might be addressed.

But of course on the flipside there's the fact that the old "no u dogpile me" defense is often resorted to when one is looking for a cheap way not to respond to anything.

But the OP seems to have enough honesty and integrity to actually introspect a little, so there's that.

Yes but when one pour honey on ones self they can hardly complain when the bears all come.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
06-01-2014, 05:23 PM
(06-01-2014 04:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  I tend to look at things from the point of view of "how constructive is this?"

Now. granted, with some people there is just nothing constructive to say or do.

But I don't think that was the case here.

The Op is perfectly willing to think about things. And that is constructive, because obviously he is in an environment that supports his position. When he changes his views, he will present them to others, and it spreads.

THAT is what helps the cause. beating someone down does not.

Just my two bits.
How come you always hit the nail on the head, Dom?
07-01-2014, 02:04 AM
[Image: 1gays+adopting.jpg]

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 5 users Like Hafnof's post