Am I the only atheist opposed to same-sex marriage?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2014, 03:53 PM
RE: Am I the only atheist opposed to same-sex marriage?
(05-01-2014 03:48 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 03:34 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Okay, I think we are done here.

Here Here
And a complete Pussy for not answering my question of why be prejudiced.
*eye roll*

My very first negative rating here. Hopefully my last.
(and Chippy chewed on my leg for over 2 weeks lol)

I have already given too many positives to give him a negative today, but there's always tomorrow.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2014, 03:55 PM

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
05-01-2014, 04:02 PM
Why even ask this question? What did you hope to accomplish? Were you clinging to the hope that there were others like you so you wouldn't be alone in your prejudice? That we'd all say, oh yeah, you're so right!

Misery loves company?

Does it really bother you THAT much? Why? Why can't you just worry about yourself? The Golden Rule, man. You say you're an atheist, but your comments are theistic in view. Think about that for a minute.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2014, 04:05 PM
(05-01-2014 03:34 PM)Crulax Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 03:26 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Here's my question...how can it possibly affect you?

Every time a homosexual couple is married a kitten is killed!

[Image: kitten_gun.jpg]

Think of the kittens!

(05-01-2014 03:55 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 03:49 PM)veitstoss Wrote:  Fault with my logic? Would you say evolution has favoured very dangerous and potentially fatal (to man, foetus or both?) male pregnancies?

You're an idiot.Beat_stick

Anjele - I fixed my screw up BowingHeartBowing

At Crulax - that must be why my cousin and her wife foster cats and kittens.

At WitchSabrina - Heart

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
05-01-2014, 04:11 PM
(05-01-2014 04:02 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Why even ask this question? What did you hope to accomplish? Were you clinging to the hope that there were others like you so you wouldn't be alone in your prejudice? That we'd all say, oh yeah, you're so right!

Misery loves company?

Does it really bother you THAT much? Why? Why can't you just worry about yourself? The Golden Rule, man. You say you're an atheist, but your comments are theistic in view. Think about that for a minute.
I hear you WillHopp. Guess the answer to my question is a resounding YES!

The issue doesn't really bother me much - I just wanted to see which way the land lies. I will think about what you said. Sorry if I rattled anyone's cage.
05-01-2014, 04:15 PM
(05-01-2014 04:11 PM)veitstoss Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 04:02 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Why even ask this question? What did you hope to accomplish? Were you clinging to the hope that there were others like you so you wouldn't be alone in your prejudice? That we'd all say, oh yeah, you're so right!

Misery loves company?

I hear you WillHopp. Guess the answer to my question is a resounding YES!

The issue doesn't really bother me much - I just wanted to see which way the land lies. I will think about what you said. Sorry if I rattled anyone's cage.

If you arrived at your atheistic stance through critical thinking, then apply that same method to this issue and you will see the light. If you have always been an atheist then you're just prejudice and I feel sad for you. But if you give it some thought and see how terribly hateful and hurtful your words and thoughts are, you may find it important to apologize again for different reasons.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
05-01-2014, 04:23 PM
(05-01-2014 04:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  At Crulax - that must be why my cousin and her wife foster cats and kittens.

I wasn't being serious. I was making a completely illogical post in a completely illogical thread.Thumbsup

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
05-01-2014, 04:24 PM
(05-01-2014 04:23 PM)Crulax Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 04:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  At Crulax - that must be why my cousin and her wife foster cats and kittens.

I wasn't being serious. I was making a completely illogical post in a completely illogical thread.Thumbsup

I know, damn sarcasm font doesn't work worth a shit around here. Dodgy

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
05-01-2014, 04:26 PM
(05-01-2014 04:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 04:23 PM)Crulax Wrote:  I wasn't being serious. I was making a completely illogical post in a completely illogical thread.Thumbsup

I know, damn sarcasm font doesn't work worth a shit around here. Dodgy

Oh, carry on then! Tongue

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
05-01-2014, 04:26 PM
(05-01-2014 12:50 PM)veitstoss Wrote:  Allow me to state my view.

Being non-religious, I don't oppose same-sex marriage from a church or 'moral' point of view. I don't accept that the church or any other faith 'owns' the 'sacrament' of marriage. Rather, I oppose it from a socio-biological point of view.

Stripped down to its bare essentials, a marriage certificate is a legal document. It seems to me that, by far, the principal reason for marriage as a legal institution is to sanction the procreation of children - i.e the continuation of the human species.

The vast majority of studies I've read suggest that, GENERALLY speaking, children who are product of married parents tend to make more rounded citizens than those whose parents are separated/divorced, in terms of how long they remain in education, salary level, likelihood of spending time in prison etc. Therefore, couples who intend to marry in order to establish a stable foundation for the production of children should be incentivised by the state to do so (tax/inheritance benefits). It's in society's interests.

This ties in with the time-honoured definition of marriage being a union between a man and a woman, essentially because they represent the two components required for sexual reproduction. A same-sex couple represents one component only. In terms of entitlement to legally marry, this is not the same as a hetero couple who choose not to have children or are unable to do so for some physiological reason. Put simply, a same-sex couple has zero potential for producing a family therefore has no legal justification for marrying. Acquiring children by arranging for someone outside the relationship to provide the opposite sexual component required, so that one partner becomes a biological parent and the other is entitled to legally adopt the child, is a practice I would question the ethics of. It seems to wilfully deny a child its other biological parent.

I am not opposed to same-sex relationships per se but I draw the line at marriage. In my view, that can only ever be defined as a union between a man and a woman. It simply isn't a discrimination or equalities issue.

So it's an over elaborate justification for controlling who gets to live in a legally/financially secure relationship based on your subjective opinion. Not all hets want or have kids.Hets and gays who can't have kids are prime candidates for adopting. There's a lot of children who would benefit from that.

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 4 users Like Monster_Riffs's post