Am I the only atheist opposed to same-sex marriage?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2014, 07:49 PM
RE: Am I the only atheist opposed to same-sex marriage?
(07-01-2014 07:39 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Guys guys read the whole thread

[Image: Grumpy-Cat-Says-No.jpg]

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
13-01-2014, 07:15 AM
(05-01-2014 12:50 PM)veitstoss Wrote:  I am not opposed to same-sex relationships per se but I draw the line at marriage.

Then don't get married to someone of the same sex as you.

You can take the egotistically-fathomed dogmatic moral system you call what "should be" and shove it up your asshole for thinking it's applicable to anyone but yourself.
[+] 2 users Like JesusChrist's post
13-01-2014, 07:26 AM
(07-01-2014 07:44 AM)veitstoss Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 05:12 AM)Dom Wrote:  Even though we have the world of research at our fingertips these days (was a lot of hard work when I grew up and involved spending days in the libraries), not everyone grew up becoming used to doing this. A lot of folks don't spend much time on the computer. I don't automatically assume everyone has been spending a lot of time researching all the views that are held by the people around them.

When someone comes and presents any view for discussion, I don't start out looking at them as a troll just because the view doesn't fit my world view. I start out explaining. That ends up leading to a better way to evaluate the person by their responses. The OP has responded by showing interest in our views, and by apologizing repeatedly for starting the topic.

I don't think it's good to stifle people and to make them feel bad for asking questions. That leads nowhere.
Wise words again, Dom.
Revenant 77 was right to call me out over lack of research. My argument was constructed by reasoning from a series of assumptions probably formed from subconsciously absorbing media soundbites. That's not the same as basing an argument on facts or supporting evidence. It seems there's a lot more to this atheism game than not believing in god. I've learned much about myself and the level of intellectual prowess on this forum. For someone who generally considers himself a clear thinker, I'm in a state of confusion right now. It's a nice feeling!
If I ever feel brave enough to launch another thread here, you can be sure I'll do my homework.

Thanks to all of you.

Atheism or no atheism is irrelevant. Doing research has to do with being an intelligent informed human being, not being an atheist. Atheism may fall out of THAT. THAT does not fall out of atheism.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)