Am I the only one who thinks the bible is pure evil?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2016, 07:11 AM
Am I the only one who thinks the bible is pure evil?
In the bible, it talks about smashing babies against the rocks (Psalms 137:9), killing disabled people (2 Samuel 5:8), killing people for trying to help (2 Samuel 6:6-7), killing people for NOT striking prophets (1 Kings 20:35-36), killing people for picking up sticks (Numbers 15:32-36), killing people for NOT having children with his brother's wife (Genesis 38:8-10), and killing little children for making fun of a bald man (2 Kings 2:23-24).

I cannot justify this no matter how much I try. My parents raised me to be an apologetic and to always come up with a reason for the things in the bible. I feel like a failure. How do I leave?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2016, 07:17 AM
RE: Am I the only one who thinks the bible is pure evil?
I try to refrain from making over-reaching claims. So, I wouldn't call the entirety of the bible evil, but I would call the whole thing a literary bore and a factually incorrect account of the history of the Earth, the Universe, and life. And it is clearly littered with the misogyny and morals of a long gone human society who's views on human lives I don't share and would label today as evil or immoral or generally morally bankrupt.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 5 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
28-04-2016, 07:23 AM
It is also good for a few laughs. Saying a pillar of salt in the desert used to be a woman and was changed because sh didn't pay attention to her man (and his imaginary friend.) Talking donkeys, A young girl having sex with a spirit. Lots of laughs!
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
28-04-2016, 07:33 AM
I never got a laugh out of it myself until you mentioned talking donkeys, and Eddie Murphy in Shrek pops into my head. Thanks!
28-04-2016, 07:58 AM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2016 11:35 AM by Szuchow.)
(28-04-2016 07:11 AM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  In the bible, it talks about smashing babies against the rocks (Psalms 137:9), killing disabled people (2 Samuel 5:8), killing people for trying to help (2 Samuel 6:6-7), killing people for NOT striking prophets (1 Kings 20:35-36), killing people for picking up sticks (Numbers 15:32-36), killing people for NOT having children with his brother's wife (Genesis 38:8-10), and killing little children for making fun of a bald man (2 Kings 2:23-24).

I cannot justify this no matter how much I try.

That's good. I have nothing but contempt for people who even try to justify such shit. Not being able to justify such is a sign of not being immoral piece of waste who think that something called god can do everything/order everything and be praised for it.

(28-04-2016 07:11 AM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  My parents raised me to be an apologetic and to always come up with a reason for the things in the bible. I feel like a failure.

Why exactly you feel like a failure? Not condoning shit happening in bible should make you feel proud not miserable.

(28-04-2016 07:11 AM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  How do I leave?

With effort. Casting aside chains of religion isn't easy.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
28-04-2016, 08:16 AM
The Bible is nothing but a collection of ancient literature, cobbled together by a group trying to justify to its members the actions it told itself it needed to take to survive as that group (which was mostly rather unsuccessful). You should (IMO) stop reading ancient texts through your modern lenses. It was ALL politically motivated, and mostly made up, (historically speaking).

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ble-Bull-s

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-04-2016, 11:02 PM
Sounds like my Saturday night know what I mean, heyoooooooo!!

I joke, I just sit at home and play video games Saturday night. #livingthedream

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
28-04-2016, 11:35 PM
(28-04-2016 11:02 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Sounds like my Saturday night know what I mean, heyoooooooo!!

I joke, I just sit at home and play video games Saturday night. #livingthedream

[Image: resized_shark.jpg]

There are certainly worse things to aspire to.

#livingthedream

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]