Am I the only person that didn't care for Zombieland

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Am I the only person that didn't care for Zombieland
All I meet are people who loved this movie, and all I can remember was being massively disappointed by it. For an 80 minute movie, it was surprisingly sparse on zombie killing, and it really was trying to sell itself as a romping zombie-bashing film in the trailers. Instead, there were only three scenes were zombies predominated, the beginning, the grocery store scene, and the end. The rest of the movie was filled by "character development," which actually could have been promising considering the rag tag band of personalities constituting the group, but it was soon overshadowed by the awkward teen like romance developing between Eisenberg's and Stone's characters. Other than those three scenes with zombies and the Murray mansion scene, the movie felt empty.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2013, 12:56 PM
RE: Am I the only person that didn't care for Zombieland
(03-07-2013 12:19 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  All I meet are people who loved this movie, and all I can remember was being massively disappointed by it. For an 80 minute movie, it was surprisingly sparse on zombie killing, and it really was trying to sell itself as a romping zombie-bashing film in the trailers. Instead, there were only three scenes were zombies predominated, the beginning, the grocery store scene, and the end. The rest of the movie was filled by "character development," which actually could have been promising considering the rag tag band of personalities constituting the group, but it was soon overshadowed by the awkward teen like romance developing between Eisenberg's and Stone's characters. Other than those three scenes with zombies and the Murray mansion scene, the movie felt empty.

Really? I thought it was a pretty good rip on the typical zombie film. The American Shawn of the Dead if you will.... The grocery store scene was hilarious.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-07-2013, 01:00 PM
(03-07-2013 12:56 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 12:19 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  All I meet are people who loved this movie, and all I can remember was being massively disappointed by it. For an 80 minute movie, it was surprisingly sparse on zombie killing, and it really was trying to sell itself as a romping zombie-bashing film in the trailers. Instead, there were only three scenes were zombies predominated, the beginning, the grocery store scene, and the end. The rest of the movie was filled by "character development," which actually could have been promising considering the rag tag band of personalities constituting the group, but it was soon overshadowed by the awkward teen like romance developing between Eisenberg's and Stone's characters. Other than those three scenes with zombies and the Murray mansion scene, the movie felt empty.

Really? I thought it was a pretty good rip on the typical zombie film. The American Shawn of the Dead if you will.... The grocery store scene was hilarious.

I know, those parts were great, but there weren't enough of those great scenes.

[Image: giphy.gif]
03-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Re: Am I the only person that didn't care for Zombieland
I didn't think it was great or terrible. I didn't go into watching it thinking it was all about zombie decapitation left and right or a similar less exaggerated way to describe that.

Two Co-workers of mine have opposing views. One loves the film and another deeply dislikes it. But the guy who Hated it, did because of the Bill Murray scene and having them sit to watch Ghostbusters in the film. The other guy thinks it "makes" the film.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
03-07-2013, 03:48 PM
As you know, I thought it was a good comedy, but an average zombie film.

What really bugged me was the narration... I thought it was horribly written.

[Image: opforum1.png]
03-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Well, let's face it: zombies themselves really aren't all that interesting. Sure they eat brains, yes they pursue the living relentlessly, and yea when they are blown apart by a shotgun blast they fly apart somewhat entertainingly. However, they aren't much for conversation; the most they can manage is, "Braaaaaaains".

Zombieland was entertaining. However, I agree with FrankieJ - it was poorly written and I think they knew it. It felt disjointed - put together from stuff they didn't seem sure about. If it wasn't for Woody Harrelson and some of the other actors, this film might have been in the trash.

Zombie is a metaphor. Hell, a zombie might as well be a theist... although, I think it was first thought to be a communist. The zombie is an example of a human who has become controlled by something other than human and so, the focus of the story must be the actual humans' resistance to become nonhuman. There is always some moral issue where a human feels sorry for a zombie and has to decide in favor of the survival of humanity ... etc.,.

The focus of the story becomes the distraction for the metaphor. The zombie story really is one of the most perfect of genres because you can be talking about anything and tell a fairly detached story. I think Shakespeare would have adored and exalted the zombie genre.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
03-07-2013, 04:59 PM
I never cared enough to watch it.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
03-07-2013, 05:08 PM
It was OK for a chuckle.
It's not worth the time and effort starting a topic over.
Is World War Z bringing this up?
The zombie-thing is about done now.

Romero's made enough.

Resident Evil got tiresome after 3 games.

Walking Dead should have stopped after issue 50 or something.

Left 4 Dead really didn't need a more-of-the-same sequel either.

Oh, Shaun of the Dead.
That was the perfect finale and magnum opus to the Zombie genre.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
03-07-2013, 06:10 PM
I didn't like it; I didn't hate it.........

Until they killed Bill Murray Angry Censored Evil_monster

Who you gonna call? Just replace "ghost busters" with "zombie stompers" or something!!!!! Assholes Dodgy

Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
04-07-2013, 01:23 AM
I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it enough to watch it more than once. The love story between ...oh what's their names, Wichita and whatever, that I could take or leave, but I thought Woody was good, and Bill was fantastic. "Maybe Garlfield" Laugh out load It was a fun movie and I will watch watch the sequel.