Poll: Am I being too sceptical ?
Yes, too pessamistic
No, its rational scepticism
[Show Results]

Am I too sceptical ? : bullshit battery !

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2014, 03:40 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014 03:50 AM by sporehux.)
Am I too sceptical ? : bullshit battery !
a Friend sent me this link: battery that charges in 30 seconds
after a few seconds of super excitement, the self regulation of no free lunch kicked in.

anyone could write an app that shows a virtual battery meter, WTF

its in my obsessive need to know area, and it smelled funny from the start, by the time I'd gone through the website and looked up the individuals involved in the product, I'm convinced its pure fundraising woo on par with STEORN perpetual motion device (and they are still raising money for that).

Am I too skeptical / fanatical /negative, or am I just being a diligent sceptic ?

At best I think they may have a tech that charges in 30 seconds and goes flat in the same time, would explain why they need till 2016 to make it work.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2014, 04:48 AM
RE: Am I too sceptical ? : bullshit battery !
Maybe it's not so much of a negative/ pessimistic trait, maybe you just have a really, really good bullshit detector.

Had you looked at the battery details (I didn't), and found the specs to be something that would work as they claim, would you still be negative about it?

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
01-05-2014, 05:45 AM
When I was working in London in 1998, the boss there told me of someone he knew who created a GPS that you could wear on your wrist. At the time it just wasn't possible so they just made a mock up and tried to sell that to get funding. This was before the dot com crash. The technical term for it is vapor-ware (or vapour-ware for anyone who is British).

From my own experience, what happens is that people create a prototype and really talk up what it can do. So perhaps the battery in the video does technically work, but as you can see is really huge, and maybe it only gives the phone enough charge for such a short period of time that you would have to be charging it 50 times a day. My last job did something similar with some intelligent software that I was told to write.

The problem is that a lot of prototypes won't scale. Potential investors often don't have the technical ability to recognise this. That battery may actually work but won't ever be practically usable or commercially viable. These small companies will often have an eye on selling to larger corporations which have largely given up doing their own R&D and prefer to buy up successful small companies instead.
07-05-2014, 11:49 PM
No clue about the device linked, but the 30 second charging battery is not unheard of in science. I have read multiple stories about people circling around it, including a young indian girl in high school who won a free ride to to an ivy league for her research into fast charging batteries. To my knowledge though there is no working products.

Edit: So this thread is ancient, my bad :/
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post