Am I wrong to pick on religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2014, 01:04 PM
RE: Am I wrong to pick on religion?
I don't find "pick on" to be the best choice of words. If it's truly what you meant, then I do think it's mostly wrong. "Pick on" implies that you are the initiator going after the religious. As WindyCityJazz said, if they aren't bothering you, then why bother them?

On the other hand, defend yourself with everything you have if they are picking on you.

I also generally agree with Seth's approach - that is, ask questions that make them think rather than being confrontational when that's reasonable. However, if they are just spouting insults and aren't interested in real conversation, then by all means drop the politeness.

However, I think it's fine to promote information and ideas in opposition to all the Woo in general. That's not the same as "picking on" them and is necessary if there is ever any hope of moving humanity beyond the fairy land.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
18-02-2014, 02:25 PM
I fall in the "no reason to be unneceassaraly confrontational" camp. If you get put in a position where you need to defend yourself do it with dignity. Being loud or overbearing does not help make your point and puts the other person on the defensive. If it is a fight I can not make my point understood I bow out, any topic not just religion. Not going to waste the time or energy to get frustrated.
18-02-2014, 02:44 PM
(18-02-2014 01:04 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I don't find "pick on" to be the best choice of words. If it's truly what you meant, then I do think it's mostly wrong. "Pick on" implies that you are the initiator going after the religious. As WindyCityJazz said, if they aren't bothering you, then why bother them?

On the other hand, defend yourself with everything you have if they are picking on you.

I also generally agree with Seth's approach - that is, ask questions that make them think rather than being confrontational when that's reasonable. However, if they are just spouting insults and aren't interested in real conversation, then by all means drop the politeness.

However, I think it's fine to promote information and ideas in opposition to all the Woo in general. That's not the same as "picking on" them and is necessary if there is ever any hope of moving humanity beyond the fairy land.

^ This. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes thedudette's post
18-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Religion = comfort blanket.

Try taking it away and see what happens? Screaming children.

The routines and rites and triteness and excuses... it's like a drug addiction.

Should you pick on the drug addict?
Should you blame the drug?
Should you blame the human instinct that wants to be in-group?

Or should you pick on the societal causes that help the addictions become acceptable and flourish?

Quote:The foundation of irreligious criticism is: Man makes religion, religion does not make man. Religion is, indeed, the self-consciousness and self-esteem of man who has either not yet won through to himself, or has already lost himself again. But man is no abstract being squatting outside the world. Man is the world of man – state, society. This state and this society produce religion, which is an inverted consciousness of the world, because they are an inverted world. Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d’honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification. It is the fantastic realisation of the human essence since the human essence has not acquired any true reality. The struggle against religion is, therefore, indirectly the struggle against that world whose spiritual aroma is religion.

Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.

The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions. The criticism of religion is, therefore, in embryo, the criticism of that vale of tears of which religion is the halo.

Criticism has plucked the imaginary flowers on the chain not in order that man shall continue to bear that chain without fantasy or consolation, but so that he shall throw off the chain and pluck the living flower. The criticism of religion disillusions man, so that he will think, act, and fashion his reality like a man who has discarded his illusions and regained his senses, so that he will move around himself as his own true Sun. Religion is only the illusory Sun which revolves around man as long as he does not revolve around himself.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
18-02-2014, 05:12 PM
I don't bring it up at all, unless they bring it to me.

I have very close friends, who know I'm not religious in the same way they are, but I doubt they know that goes as far as my actually being an atheist. For all I know they assume I'm a non practicing Christian. I have other friends who think I can’t shut up about being an atheist.

The difference between these two types of friends is that the first ones never bring it up to me, and don't make statements that sound like imposing religion on myself or others. They rarely say something of a religious nature. And when they do I don't care because it's not directed at me or anyone. It's just part of their belief. I don't get it, but I also don't care.

The friends who think I can't shut up about atheism, or antitheism, are my friends who can't stop talking about their religion, bringing up conversations to me, questioning very obvious science for religious reasons (e.g, climate change denial, creationism in the classroom etc…), expect others to accept or force their beliefs on other, demand tolerance of their view point for religions reasons, where they don't tolerate others' view points on the same topic (e.g., abortion, etc…), hold political views that sever no meaning or purpose outside of religion, etc...

Those friends will not necessarily do all of those things (some do), and if they do, in general, they do to greater or lesser degree. Some more than others, some less. But the less they do, the less they hear my opinion. And the more they do, the more they hear my opinion.

Some of these friends will bring up religion to me, even ask my opinion on the topic, and then get pissed at me for it, and act like I’m obsessed with attacking their religion. When in reality, they came to me, not me to them, and asked me a question, and are attacking my “beliefs”, not me attacking theirs. But they never seem to see it that way.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
18-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Music RE: Am I wrong to pick on religion?
I wish I could comment on all of your great opinion but I just don't have the time.

What I Usually do is make fun of a lie on facebook or post a great atheist picture. That usually offends people even when I try my best to explain why their religion is poison and why it should not matter whatever confort it brings to them if it comest at such a high price to the world. I am also thinking on welcoming jahovah's witnesses in my house so I can share a message with them, of course in a polite manner. I believe one person can make a difference even if their voice has a low range, If I can plant a seed of doubt on anyones and it makes them think just a little is good enough for me.

I understand about being tolerant and I am with most Ideas but I don't think I should with this because it is just wrong and people have the right to feel offended but that doesn't mean I am being offensive.

Maybe one day I'll even go on youtube to support the revolution Smile

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.