Am i atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2014, 03:18 AM
Am i atheist?
Iv'e never once believed in Adam or eve not even for a split second. I always looked into the universe for my answer. Iv'e only ever held on to the fear of hell because of it being drilled into my head as a child. Iv'e questioned the idea of god, but all in all i never believed in anything inside of the bible it's self. Not even the story's about a ark, the moment i read about evolution i connected and had confidence. Without putting my belief in spirits inside of everything if i push "Hold" would i honestly be considered an atheist? Please i only ask for nobody to jump on me this is my personal beliefs and i'm just being curious as it's my nature and always has been. I haven't ever really thought about the entire thing other then the idea of a god and now, yeah now i'm really wondering. Consider

Note: I wasn't sure what form this should be put in so i just put it here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Autumnflowers's post
13-12-2014, 03:26 AM
RE: Am i atheist?
Do you believe in a deity? It's a bit complex because
a. WTF does "believe in" mean?
b. WTF is a deity?

Basically, a large proportion of highly evolved apes on this planet hold to the view that the universe was created and is controlled by super-beings, (or just one super-being) who rarely if ever reveal themselves to humans (except under suspicious circumstances, when they pop out of the woodwork at every opportunity).

If you do not subscribe to some variant of this philosophy, then you are basically an atheist.

There are any number of variants of the term atheist, invented by people with too much time on their hands, but my favourite is "igtheism" which view is that terms such as deity and belief are so ridiculously amorphous and badly defined as to be meaningless, so ignore the whole lot.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
13-12-2014, 03:36 AM
(13-12-2014 03:18 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  Iv'e never once believed in Adam or eve not even for a split second. I always looked into the universe for my answer. Iv'e only ever held on to the fear of hell because of it being drilled into my head as a child. Iv'e questioned the idea of god, but all in all i never believed in anything inside of the bible it's self. Not even the story's about a ark, the moment i read about evolution i connected and had confidence. Without putting my belief in spirits inside of everything if i push "Hold" would i honestly be considered an atheist? Please i only ask for nobody to jump on me this is my personal beliefs and i'm just being curious as it's my nature and always has been. I haven't ever really thought about the entire thing other then the idea of a god and now, yeah now i'm really wondering. Consider

"Am I an atheist?"

This question can be answered with a simply question:

Do you believe in a god or gods?

If "yes": no, you're not an atheist.

If "no"; congratulations, you're an atheist.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
13-12-2014, 03:45 AM
(13-12-2014 03:36 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(13-12-2014 03:18 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  Iv'e never once believed in Adam or eve not even for a split second. I always looked into the universe for my answer. Iv'e only ever held on to the fear of hell because of it being drilled into my head as a child. Iv'e questioned the idea of god, but all in all i never believed in anything inside of the bible it's self. Not even the story's about a ark, the moment i read about evolution i connected and had confidence. Without putting my belief in spirits inside of everything if i push "Hold" would i honestly be considered an atheist? Please i only ask for nobody to jump on me this is my personal beliefs and i'm just being curious as it's my nature and always has been. I haven't ever really thought about the entire thing other then the idea of a god and now, yeah now i'm really wondering. Consider

"Am I an atheist?"

I have to actually say just yes or no to a simple question wouldn't help me out.
Technically you first have to understand where i'm coming from, if i don't believe in every part of the bible. Yet, question a deity but not admitted you could consider that agnostic "And as of now it's what i use" However, when you put it all together a god wouldn't even make sense or that god at least and the christian gods the one i question. However i can't say "I know he doesn't exist" don't we all to a point say that until the day we die? However in the end do we actually know.
Maybe it's just a agnostic atheist view point i hold, but then in that sense wouldn't we all to some extent be agnostic? Unless you really wanted to claim all knowledge, then wouldn't if you claimed all knowledge be the replica of the "idea" of deity- christian deity/god you hated? (Sorry i'm thinking deep tonight and i tend to do that i sometimes sound silly)
13-12-2014, 04:44 AM
(13-12-2014 03:45 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  
(13-12-2014 03:36 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  "Am I an atheist?"

I have to actually say just yes or no to a simple question wouldn't help me out.
Technically you first have to understand where i'm coming from, if i don't believe in every part of the bible. Yet, question a deity but not admitted you could consider that agnostic "And as of now it's what i use" However, when you put it all together a god wouldn't even make sense or that god at least and the christian gods the one i question. However i can't say "I know he doesn't exist" don't we all to a point say that until the day we die? However in the end do we actually know.
Maybe it's just a agnostic atheist view point i hold, but then in that sense wouldn't we all to some extent be agnostic? Unless you really wanted to claim all knowledge, then wouldn't if you claimed all knowledge be the replica of the "idea" of deity- christian deity/god you hated? (Sorry i'm thinking deep tonight and i tend to do that i sometimes sound silly)

To be an atheist, you do not need to espouse total assurance that god doesn't exist. Atheism is a word which describes the status of one's belief in deities and informs nothing else, hence the question: Do you believe in any god or gods? An atheist, by definition does not hold a positive belief in any deities.

Personally, I argue that agnosticism is irrelevant to the immediate question. Primarily because agnosticism and atheism are not contradictory states. they also describe two totally distinct things.

Your theistic stance determines where you are an atheist or some form of theist: Either you do have a positive belief in a deity/deities or you don't. It is a question of belief, not knowledge, which is determined by the gnostic stance.

As such, your question of "Am i atheist?" can be answered by a yes/no question: The answer to your question whether you are an atheist literally requires nothing else but an honest answer to the question posed to you.

Hopefully you get what I mean when I ask you, once more: Do you believe in any deities?

If you do, than you are not an atheist.
If you don't believe in any deities, than you are an atheist, by definition.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
13-12-2014, 04:51 AM
Technically, I am an agnostic atheist. For simplicity, I'm an atheist. I don't subscribe to the belief in a god. However, I realize et this point in time, we can't prove there is no god, jut as we can't prove there is one. I can say with certainty the sick fuck jehova in the bible is a man made fabrication.

I don't believe in spirits, but I might use the term "human spirit" to describe our species' passion for survival or helping others. There is no evidence to support an afterlife, once again, something I also can't prove doesn't exist. I find god(esses) highly unlikely, just as I find an afterlife unlikely. Instead, I look to our memories - my dad lives on in the memories and the stories family and friends share about his life. One day I will exhale my last breath, my heart will no longer pump, and I will cease to be. Just as the sun will not shine forever. Maybe the atoms that make up me will become part of another star, or another life-form, maybe they won't - but the consciousness of me won't be aware when it happens.

FWIW, you might find Richard Dawkins The God Delusion helpful.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
13-12-2014, 05:30 AM
(13-12-2014 04:51 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Technically, I am an agnostic atheist. For simplicity, I'm an atheist. I don't subscribe to the belief in a god. However, I realize et this point in time, we can't prove there is no god, jut as we can't prove there is one. I can say with certainty the sick fuck jehova in the bible is a man made fabrication.

I don't believe in spirits, but I might use the term "human spirit" to describe our species' passion for survival or helping others. There is no evidence to support an afterlife, once again, something I also can't prove doesn't exist. I find god(esses) highly unlikely, just as I find an afterlife unlikely. Instead, I look to our memories - my dad lives on in the memories and the stories family and friends share about his life. One day I will exhale my last breath, my heart will no longer pump, and I will cease to be. Just as the sun will not shine forever. Maybe the atoms that make up me will become part of another star, or another life-form, maybe they won't - but the consciousness of me won't be aware when it happens.

FWIW, you might find Richard Dawkins The God Delusion helpful.

I believe in a afterlife strongly, however if others don't that's fine to me.
I thought about the word agnostic/Atheist before at times i still do i can't recall why exactly i didn't use it.
13-12-2014, 05:33 AM
(13-12-2014 04:44 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(13-12-2014 03:45 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  I have to actually say just yes or no to a simple question wouldn't help me out.

To be an atheist, you do not need to espouse total assurance that god doesn't exist. Atheism is a word which describes the status of one's belief in deities and informs nothing else, hence the question: Do you believe in any god or gods? An atheist, by definition does not hold a positive belief in any deities.

Personally, I argue that agnosticism is irrelevant to the immediate question. Primarily because agnosticism and atheism are not contradictory states. they also describe two totally distinct things.

Your theistic stance determines where you are an atheist or some form of theist: Either you do have a positive belief in a deity/deities or you don't. It is a question of belief, not knowledge, which is determined by the gnostic stance.

As such, your question of "Am i atheist?" can be answered by a yes/no question: The answer to your question whether you are an atheist literally requires nothing else but an honest answer to the question posed to you.

Hopefully you get what I mean when I ask you, once more: Do you believe in any deities?

If you do, than you are not an atheist.
If you don't believe in any deities, than you are an atheist, by definition.

I get somethings of what you're saying don't get me wrong however i can't put together what you mean by belief, not knowledge.
When i type i often just type whats on my mind so for the future if anybody ever sees me post something beware of the possibility of me traveling a little of subject i tend to be the writer who writes as she thinks Smile
13-12-2014, 05:39 AM
Out of curiosity, if you believe in an afterlife how did you "know" that for lack of better words? How do you believe in the supernatural and more importantly, why?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
13-12-2014, 05:51 AM
(13-12-2014 05:39 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Out of curiosity, if you believe in an afterlife how did you "know" that for lack of better words? How do you believe in the supernatural and more importantly, why?

I'm open to saying that so i could have gotten a honest reply but i'd rather not get into it as every time i ever have unless talking kindly face to face or meeting a person first.
there's always arguments or insults, i'm just not into that kinda thing.
Not to say you would but just to be on the safe side. I hope you understand and if not i'm not sure what to tell you.