Amazing historical 35 mm film from 1906

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2015, 11:41 PM
Amazing historical 35 mm film from 1906
I've seen bits of this film before but not the whole 11 minutes. It's one of the first 35 mm films ever made and just happens to have been made 4 days before the San Francisco earthquake of 1906. The film was being shipped to New York when the earthquake rocked San Francisco and most of the buildings in the film were destroyed by fire after the quake.

What I find fascinating is the lack of stop lights. Everyone is crossing in front of everyone else yet no one is getting bumped over or killed. You'll notice horse shit in the streets. There's a guy that quickly goes out with a broom to sweep up some of it There are paperboys here and there. The other interesting thing to notice is there is not one overweight person in the whole 11 minutes of film..... and EVERYONE wore a hat! I love stuff like this.

In the video there's a pop up to another video to take the same drive down the same street in modern times.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
11-08-2015, 12:08 AM
RE: Amazing historical 35 mm film from 1906
That was amazing! The devastation after the quake was immense! What impressed me was how quickly, 4 days, it took them to get all the rubble into piles. And before it the lack of road rules! People seemed to drive wherever they wanted. There must have been loads of accidents and pedestrians run over with that sort of chaos.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
11-08-2015, 04:16 AM
(11-08-2015 12:08 AM)Banjo Wrote:  That was amazing! The devastation after the quake was immense! What impressed me was how quickly, 4 days, it took them to get all the rubble into piles. And before it the lack of road rules! People seemed to drive wherever they wanted. There must have been loads of accidents and pedestrians run over with that sort of chaos.

Yeah, now think about how long it took to clean up geound zero.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
11-08-2015, 04:37 AM
(11-08-2015 04:16 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 12:08 AM)Banjo Wrote:  That was amazing! The devastation after the quake was immense! What impressed me was how quickly, 4 days, it took them to get all the rubble into piles. And before it the lack of road rules! People seemed to drive wherever they wanted. There must have been loads of accidents and pedestrians run over with that sort of chaos.

Yeah, now think about how long it took to clean up geound zero.

How long?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
11-08-2015, 07:52 AM
Very much fun to watch, but it gave me chills a little bit, thinking about what was going to happen there! The composer Steven Reineke's New Day Rising is a symphony about the San Francisco earthquake (and a very cool piece of music), this also made me think of that piece.
11-08-2015, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2015 10:16 AM by dancefortwo.)
And this is that same city 4 or 5 days after that first film was recorded. It's sad to watch. My great grandfather and great grandmother had just married and were living across the bay in a small town called Concord. He wrote about it in letters which I have.

The old news film service Pathe in combination with AP (Associated Press) have recently put all their archival film on youtube so I spent most of last evening and much of this morning watching old film. There's lots of stupid stuff on youtube but there's also fabulous things to watch.

Edit: It's amazing to see people completely put together with a suite, tie and bowler hat while surrounded by such chaos. The ladies still took the time to put on their fancy hats, dresses, pettiecoat sand everything women did to look presentable in public. Oh, how times have changed.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
11-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Reminds me of China. I mean, they have lights and crosswalks, but people seem to assume they're optional and the street looks pretty much like New York in 1906.

'Murican Canadian