Amazing how this video is 1984... Really?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2015, 03:19 PM
Amazing how this video is 1984... Really?
Yeah, this was posted on Omnipresent Atheists on facebook. It's amazing how this video is from 1984, and yet theists are still using all those same arguments. I'm understanding more and more how atheists get so frustrated with theists:

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WalkingSnake's post
01-06-2015, 03:46 PM
RE: Amazing how this video is 1984... Really?
(01-06-2015 03:19 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  Yeah, this was posted on Omnipresent Atheists on facebook. It's amazing how this video is from 1984, and yet theists are still using all those same arguments. I'm understanding more and more how atheists get so frustrated with theists:

1984? Hell, the Euthyphro dilemma goes back to Socrates and Plato. The arguments for theism haven't really changed in centuries. They get re-worded and dressed up with new terminology but it's just a new coat on the same fallacies.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
01-06-2015, 03:54 PM
(01-06-2015 03:46 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(01-06-2015 03:19 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  Yeah, this was posted on Omnipresent Atheists on facebook. It's amazing how this video is from 1984, and yet theists are still using all those same arguments. I'm understanding more and more how atheists get so frustrated with theists:

1984? Hell, the Euthyphro dilemma goes back to Socrates and Plato. The arguments for theism haven't really changed in centuries. They get re-worded and dressed up with new terminology but it's just a new coat on the same fallacies.

Hey, I'm a brand new atheist. But yeah I can believe that. That's how I felt about the Kalam argument. Spent the last couple days looking it up, and felt like I wasted some good Xbox time trying to figure out what it was until realized it was just the old cosmological argument injected with fancy words and convoluted explanations from Willy Craig.

My blog
[+] 1 user Likes WalkingSnake's post
01-06-2015, 04:26 PM
(01-06-2015 03:54 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  Hey, I'm a brand new atheist. But yeah I can believe that. That's how I felt about the Kalam argument. Spent the last couple days looking it up, and felt like I wasted some good Xbox time trying to figure out what it was until realized it was just the old cosmological argument injected with fancy words and convoluted explanations from Willy Craig.

Exactly, read or listen to some Bertrand Russell or Robert Ingersoll to see old refutations of the same arguments. (No, really, do that because they are worth hearing anyway)

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
01-06-2015, 06:01 PM
When they ask "What is the purpose of life without god?"
I wonder if they even think about the question before they puke it out.
01-06-2015, 06:06 PM
Very few things make me want to throw things at the screen as much as when someone says, "There's no atheists in foxholes."

My blog
01-06-2015, 07:47 PM
Shit like that kept me so far buried in the atheist closet..

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

01-06-2015, 08:20 PM
An argument for something that doesn't exist is destined to remain the same.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
01-06-2015, 09:18 PM
They know they can't provide anything concrete, so it becomes "You can't prove I'm wrong" or trying to poke holes in the science that makes their statements of knowledge look ridiculous.

How long can one search for something that isn't there?
02-06-2015, 02:31 AM
(01-06-2015 04:26 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(01-06-2015 03:54 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  Hey, I'm a brand new atheist. But yeah I can believe that. That's how I felt about the Kalam argument. Spent the last couple days looking it up, and felt like I wasted some good Xbox time trying to figure out what it was until realized it was just the old cosmological argument injected with fancy words and convoluted explanations from Willy Craig.

Exactly, read or listen to some Bertrand Russell or Robert Ingersoll to see old refutations of the same arguments. (No, really, do that because they are worth hearing anyway)

I thought the Russel debate on the cosmological argument to be very frustrating. Russel just wouldn't engage his opponent.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc