Amazon Discussions Refugees

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2017, 03:04 PM
RE: Amazon Discussions Refugees
(07-10-2017 07:39 AM)Mikster Wrote:  Another refugee from the Amazon Forums... greets everyone.

As of now, the forums are all gone. Despite its many problems, I'll miss it... it was a good run, but it ended badly (an extended period of no maintenance and erratic, biased moderation).

Looking forward to good conversations here.

Btw, I posted as "Michael Altarriba" when I was there.

Welcome to the darkside, Michael. I think you'll like it here. Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2017, 08:29 AM
(07-10-2017 07:39 AM)Mikster Wrote:  Another refugee from the Amazon Forums... greets everyone.

As of now, the forums are all gone. Despite its many problems, I'll miss it... it was a good run, but it ended badly (an extended period of no maintenance and erratic, biased moderation).

Looking forward to good conversations here.

Btw, I posted as "Michael Altarriba" when I was there.

Welcome Mikster! There was a lot to like on the design of the Amazon forums, before they let it decay. Unfortunately, it was becoming overrun with trolls (at least on Politics, Science, and Atheism forums)

Welcome to Kenyon as well. We have had run-ins in the past, but I always considered him an interesting poster.
26-11-2017, 05:11 AM
Amazon refugees: Have Ferengi (aka goblue), Lyin' Larry, Doctor Misogyny, or any of your other trolls followed you here?

"I wouldn't have had I been able."--- Anon
[+] 1 user Likes zoltan's post
26-11-2017, 06:48 AM
(26-11-2017 05:11 AM)zoltan Wrote:  Amazon refugees: Have Ferengi (aka goblue), Lyin' Larry, Doctor Misogyny, or any of your other trolls followed you here?

I don't think so.

-Jay
26-11-2017, 07:39 AM
(26-11-2017 05:11 AM)zoltan Wrote:  Amazon refugees: Have Ferengi (aka goblue), Lyin' Larry, Doctor Misogyny, or any of your other trolls followed you here?

I have always avoided Ferengi. On at least one occasion, I advised people in Amazon's Atheist forum to report abuse on his posts. I don't know the others that you mention. On either the last day or second to the last day that we were able to post in Amazon Discussions, I told people in the Atheist forum that I was coming over here. I didn't post that in the Religion forum.

I remember you. I remember that you spent most of your time in the religion forum. Be well.
[+] 1 user Likes Yonadav Kenyon's post
04-12-2017, 11:29 PM
Hello to you all. This is my first message as I just joined TTA today. I too had been on the Amazon Atheist forum when it was shut down, and I don't really remember being told soon enough that it would be shut down. I didn't write every day, but on the day I decided to write a note, it was all gone. However, prior to that happening, one of the posters on the Amazon site had mentioned that he was switching over to this forum, so I wrote down the name and decided to visit you all. Then my computer went phfft! and that was that until a week ago when I was finally able to get it fixed. The fan in the CPU overheated and it smelled like it was on fire. Well that happened, and it is all fixed up now, and I'm thrilled to be able to join this forum.

I hope I am able to ask a particular question, as I am just getting acquainted with the rules for this forum - which I find to be excellent and they make me feel safe when I begin to offer my views. My question is this: Am I able to ask if a particular person is on this site by stating the user name he had? I hope he is here, but I won't state his name until I find out if it is allowed.

Also, how do I put in the photo I want to use attached to my name? And where do I find the emoticons? Just one more inquiry, to what does "signature" refer? I certainly do not want to disable any smilies :-)))

Happy to be here, and hope to hear from management soon.
[+] 2 users Like mooneagle's post
05-12-2017, 12:05 AM
(04-12-2017 11:29 PM)mooneagle Wrote:  ...
I hope I am able to ask a particular question, as I am just getting acquainted with the rules for this forum - which I find to be excellent and they make me feel safe when I begin to offer my views. My question is this: Am I able to ask if a particular person is on this site by stating the user name he had? I hope he is here, but I won't state his name until I find out if it is allowed.

Also, how do I put in the photo I want to use attached to my name? And where do I find the emoticons? Just one more inquiry, to what does "signature" refer? I certainly do not want to disable any smilies :-)))

Welcome to TTA.

Using user names is OK. There is an Amazonian Roll-call thread somewhere.

For your photo, go to User CP > Edit Profile > Change Avatar.

The signature will appear at the bottom of each post (depending on the device/view you are using). Go to User CP > Edit Profile > Change Signature

We don't have a huge range of emoticons but some Smilies appear when you create a post using the Reply or New Reply buttons (not the Quick Reply).

Have fun.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
05-12-2017, 02:10 AM
(05-12-2017 12:05 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(04-12-2017 11:29 PM)mooneagle Wrote:  ...

Welcome to TTA.

Using user names is OK. There is an Amazonian Roll-call thread somewhere.

For your photo, go to User CP > Edit Profile > Change Avatar.

The signature will appear at the bottom of each post (depending on the device/view you are using). Go to User CP > Edit Profile > Change Signature

We don't have a huge range of emoticons but some Smilies appear when you create a post using the Reply or New Reply buttons (not the Quick Reply).

Have fun.

:thumbs DJL up:
Thank you DJL for responding to my very first posting on TTA. I hope I am typing my reply in the right place. When I hit the reply button it gave me a small page which showed some of my original note and your reply. There was not other spot - so here goes! And a bunch of smilies were in a box at the left - so I found them!

The person I'm looking for went by the user name of Django Unhinged, and he is the one who told me of this forum. So I'd like to know if he is on this forum, or in which forum he is writing - there are so many!!! Thumbsup Yes Bowing Big Grin

Here's hoping I've replied to your nice response using the correct format. I have much to get used to now that I have become a member of TTA.

I will check into the instructions you gave me regarding my 'signature' and my 'avatar' tomorrow as it is now 2 a.m. and, well, gotta get some zzzzzzzzzzz's.
Sleepy

Thanks again - good nite from Mooneagle
05-12-2017, 05:37 AM
(05-12-2017 02:10 AM)mooneagle Wrote:  ...
The person I'm looking for went by the user name of Django Unhinged,

Top right corner of your page... see Member List and do a search.

Or just use this link --> Django UnHinged

Thumbsup

06-12-2017, 01:39 PM
(04-12-2017 11:29 PM)mooneagle Wrote:  Hello to you all. This is my first message as I just joined TTA today. I too had been on the Amazon Atheist forum when it was shut down, and I don't really remember being told soon enough that it would be shut down. I didn't write every day, but on the day I decided to write a note, it was all gone. However, prior to that happening, one of the posters on the Amazon site had mentioned that he was switching over to this forum, so I wrote down the name and decided to visit you all. Then my computer went phfft! and that was that until a week ago when I was finally able to get it fixed. The fan in the CPU overheated and it smelled like it was on fire. Well that happened, and it is all fixed up now, and I'm thrilled to be able to join this forum.

Hi Mooneagle, welcome to TTA. Smile

You'll find a lot of ex-Amazonians here. Here are a couple of Amazonian threads that may interest you:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ght=amazon

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...amazonians

Quote:I hope I am able to ask a particular question, as I am just getting acquainted with the rules for this forum - which I find to be excellent and they make me feel safe when I begin to offer my views. My question is this: Am I able to ask if a particular person is on this site by stating the user name he had? I hope he is here, but I won't state his name until I find out if it is allowed.

I see you're looking for Django -- he's here:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...o-UnHinged

A little reluctant to migrate, but he finally came over in October.

Quote:Also, how do I put in the photo I want to use attached to my name?
At the top of the screen, under the forum "search bar' and under the "Welcome back" statement is a bar with that says "User CP" on the left. Click that.

In the user control panel, on the left, third group down headed "Your Profile",
Under "edit profile" select "Change Avatar", and follow the instructions.

Quote: And where do I find the emoticons? Just one more inquiry, to what does "signature" refer? I certainly do not want to disable any smilies :-)))

When you click "reply" to reply to a post, a list of emoticons appears to the left of your text window.

"Signature" also appears under the "edit profile" selections, right under "change avatar", where you can edit what automatic signature appears at the bottom of each post you make.

Mine is:

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."