Amazon Go

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2016, 10:35 PM
Amazon Go
Have you all seen this? It's a smart grocery store that Amazon is testing. You walk in with the Go app open, anything you pick up will be put in your virtual cart and anything you put back on the shelf will be removed from your cart. When you are done you just walk out and your amazon account will be charged for everything you took with you. No lines, no cashiers.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like JDog554's post
05-12-2016, 10:40 PM
RE: Amazon Go
It's like stealing, only different! Wink
05-12-2016, 10:41 PM
(05-12-2016 10:40 PM)pablo Wrote:  It's like stealing, only different! Wink

Stealing our jobs lol

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
05-12-2016, 10:45 PM
(05-12-2016 10:41 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  

Stealing our jobs lol

[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
06-12-2016, 01:58 AM
And so how do they stop people simply closing the app? Or remove the product from the packaging and put the packaging back on the shelf?
You'd still need to hire security. Also, who's going to stock the shelves? You still need to hire staff to stock the shelves. Not only stock but keep nice and tidy.
You also need to hire someone customers can complain too or return products too. And what happens with alcohol? And you still need to hire cleaning staff.

Don't get me wrong, I think the idea is fantastic but I see it more of a feature similar in nature to self-serve checkouts in that it runs parallel to a "traditional" grocery store.
So you'd still have staff everywhere it'll never be 100% staff free. Any jobs it cuts in checkouts it'll make up in hassle of dealing with the new technology.

It's one of those hippy fantasy ideas that never take into consideration how fucking horrible human nature is and how shitty technology can be at times.
[+] 5 users Like earmuffs's post
06-12-2016, 03:24 AM
That's really impressive ! If it worked, on the positive side, that would be a lot of spared time instead of waiting for the articles to be scanned.
Now, on the negative side, that would be far less cashiers jobs, and I think it was a steady jobs for a lot of families.

I also agree with earmuffs : it works on the paper, when everything goes fine. Now, I can imagine they put a security for you to not close the App while you're shopping (or if they detect the App was closed, it would ring when you pass the gates), so you would be in trouble if they still hire security, but what for the genuine app close because the phone has no more battery (it is going to happened a lot) ?
Also, I have a problem understanding how it works : when you take a product from the shelf, it is automatically put in your cart ? Or is it when you pass the gates ? Because if it's when you take a product from the shelf, how do they prevent errors if somebody is walking very close to you and also taking products from the same shelf ? There might be a risk of scanning his products into your cart.

A last point : would people be ready for that ? I'm not so sure. In France a lot of supermarkets have self scan checkout, and a lot of customers avoid them, going instead to the cashier. Also, a lot of people still check every products on the bill right after paying at the checkout (to control that no products was scanned twice or to make sure that they really received the 20% discount on this or that product), this app is certainly not for them.

So to sum it up, I think the future is ready for us, but we are not ready for the future.
06-12-2016, 06:33 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2016 06:36 AM by earmuffs.)
(06-12-2016 03:24 AM)Sturm Wrote:  That's really impressive ! If it worked, on the positive side, that would be a lot of spared time instead of waiting for the articles to be scanned.
Now, on the negative side, that would be far less cashiers jobs, and I think it was a steady jobs for a lot of families.

I also agree with earmuffs : it works on the paper, when everything goes fine. Now, I can imagine they put a security for you to not close the App while you're shopping (or if they detect the App was closed, it would ring when you pass the gates), so you would be in trouble if they still hire security, but what for the genuine app close because the phone has no more battery (it is going to happened a lot) ?
Also, I have a problem understanding how it works : when you take a product from the shelf, it is automatically put in your cart ? Or is it when you pass the gates ? Because if it's when you take a product from the shelf, how do they prevent errors if somebody is walking very close to you and also taking products from the same shelf ? There might be a risk of scanning his products into your cart.

A last point : would people be ready for that ? I'm not so sure. In France a lot of supermarkets have self scan checkout, and a lot of customers avoid them, going instead to the cashier. Also, a lot of people still check every products on the bill right after paying at the checkout (to control that no products was scanned twice or to make sure that they really received the 20% discount on this or that product), this app is certainly not for them.

So to sum it up, I think the future is ready for us, but we are not ready for the future.

I don't think it's that the future is ready for us and we're not ready for it, I just think people need to adjust their idea of what the future is going to be.

So many things like this that are purely good on paper but absolutely rubbish in real life. The issue is it's all developed by Silicon Valley and they're a bunch of nerdy twats with no idea of how the world actually operates outside their relaxation domes and utopian fantasy they fap to every night, or well a robot hand faps for them, that all humans are gonna magically hold hands and sing fucking campfire songs around an eco-friendly smart iBulb that tweets out panoramic pictures of sunsets and shit with added 'inspirational' quotes about how they're colourblind to skin pigment and how the LBGQTAFN (the FN stands for fucknuts) community is oppressed so much it makes Auschwitz look like fucking Disney Land, comon kiddies lets go on the Gas Chamber ride, and how Bernie is the second fucking coming of Christ, even though of course they don't believe in Christ because they're fucking Agnostics because we totally can't prove God does or doesn't exist or some such scab infected puss ball of filth, and of course how eatting anything that so much as had an animal gently brush up against it is morally wrong and how we're all going to hell for eatting our tortured animal flesh, even though they don't completely believe in hell because they're fucking agnostic. Fucking leftist liberal fucks giving us decent leftiest leaning people a bad name with their fucking safe spaces and trigger warnings. Go fucking kill yourselves you hippie ignorant retarded bags of dicks. What the fuck was I talking about again? Oh right, grocery stores. Yea, good idea in theory, meh-bad idea in practice.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
06-12-2016, 08:05 AM
I like it! I hate waiting in lines. Sometimes you just run in for something quick and end up waiting in a long line with only one checker open. This is a service I would definitely use. Thumbsup

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-12-2016, 08:09 AM
(05-12-2016 10:41 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  

Stealing our jobs lol

The only jobs they could not outsource,

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
06-12-2016, 09:18 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2016 11:53 AM by Sturm.)
(06-12-2016 06:33 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I don't think it's that the future is ready for us and we're not ready for it, I just think people need to adjust their idea of what the future is going to be.

Well, I was actually meaning something like that, that mentalities don't change as fast as technologies. I think technology evolves faster than the mentality of people using it. Online banking, online tax declaration, online payments, etc, a lot of people are still reluctant to that and would still choose some annoying paper work just because they don't trust it.
Well, of course, it is changing, but at a slower pace than the technology. For instance, the video mentioned self driving cars, to be honest I would still feel safer holding the wheel than letting the car drives itself (even though I work in IT and would normaly trust technology...) . It's probably not the case, and the car probably drives safer than me, but I can't help it. I'm sure in 50 years, people will be like "what you want to hold the wheel ? Man, that's dangerous".

(06-12-2016 06:33 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So many things like this that are purely good on paper but absolutely rubbish in real life. The issue is it's all developed by Silicon Valley and they're a bunch of nerdy twats with no idea of how the world actually operates outside their relaxation domes and utopian fantasy they fap to every night, or well a robot hand faps for them, that all humans are gonna magically hold hands and sing fucking campfire songs around an eco-friendly smart iBulb that tweets out panoramic pictures of sunsets and shit with added 'inspirational' quotes about how they're colourblind to skin pigment and how the LBGQTAFN (the FN stands for fucknuts) community is oppressed so much it makes Auschwitz look like fucking Disney Land, comon kiddies lets go on the Gas Chamber ride, and how Bernie is the second fucking coming of Christ, even though of course they don't believe in Christ because they're fucking Agnostics because we totally can't prove God does or doesn't exist or some such scab infected puss ball of filth, and of course how eatting anything that so much as had an animal gently brush up against it is morally wrong and how we're all going to hell for eatting our tortured animal flesh, even though they don't completely believe in hell because they're fucking agnostic. Fucking leftist liberal fucks giving us decent leftiest leaning people a bad name with their fucking safe spaces and trigger warnings. Go fucking kill yourselves you hippie ignorant retarded bags of dicks. What the fuck was I talking about again? Oh right, grocery stores. Yea, good idea in theory, meh-bad idea in practice.

that was hell of a rant ! I got lost somewhere around "fucking", but I guess I understand the idea haha, some inovations are totally unrealistic compared to how people are going to use them in the real world.
Anyway, add tons of security to prevent some ill use and I must admit that I would be glad to skip the line at the supermarket !