Amazon Refugee Roll Call

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2017, 01:41 PM
RE: Amazon Refugee Roll Call
Welcome Amazonians Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
26-02-2017, 02:45 PM
(23-02-2017 08:03 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(23-02-2017 03:05 PM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote:  Hello Aliza and others

I am another just joined Amazon emigre. This place seems an improvement.

Hello Ms. Darkbloom. Nice to see you here. Smile

I know the name can be misleading, but I'll put this out there for all the TTA members who haven't heard--I am male.

The name Vivian Darkbloom is an anagram of Vladimir Nabokov, my favorite writer.

Don't want people to think I'm trying to mislead or anything.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. (G.B.Shaw)
[+] 4 users Like Vivian Darkbloom's post
26-02-2017, 02:50 PM
(26-02-2017 02:45 PM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote:  The name Vivian Darkbloom is an anagram of Vladimir Nabokov, my favorite writer.

That seems properly odd. Thumbsup

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-02-2017, 02:58 PM
(26-02-2017 11:28 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  I gathered you were of Jewish background from your use of "G-d", though I didn't assume you necessarily held common Jewish beliefs. I am familiar with Christian and Islamic ideas of God, but not so much with Jewish ideas. I also gather from your answers that you don't see God as all-powerful either, since you don't hold him responsible for natural disasters.
Do you see God as all-knowing?

I'll try to keep my answers brief because I know this is thread is in the introduction section. (I don't want to get too far off topic.) Smile I was raised secular but I obtained an orthodox Jewish education. My secular background definitely does color my perception of Judaism, but when I discuss religion on TTA, I try to present what Judaism is and isn't based on what I’ve been taught.

Maybe G-d is responsible for natural disasters, or maybe G-d is only responsible for having created the weather system that causes natural disaster. It doesn’t matter. Tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes and wild fires actually occur and we have to actually deal with them or figure out a way to prevent them. Maybe if humanity figured out how to play nice the natural disasters would stop, but that hasn't been demonstrated, so we need to rely on what we know about the world around us. All evidence points to natural disasters being part of a predictable pattern in our physical environment. Pray if it makes you happy, but also get a degree and solve the problem.

I do see G-d as being all powerful and also all knowing.

(26-02-2017 11:28 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  How do Jews typically see the afterlife? Do you see God as worthy of worship, and, if so, why? Christian theologians typically believe God must be all-good and all-powerful as well as all-knowing to be worthy of worship.

Jews believe that upon death, souls go to a designated place for souls.

Worthy of worship depends on your personal perspective and emotional need. We do not believe that a person needs to worship G-d to live a happy and productive life. We also don’t think people should be worshiping anything else because we think idolatry ends up ruining the quality of a person’s life.

As for Christianity, there is little relationship between Christianity and Judaism. Some of the value system is the same, but not much else carries over. A good portion of the Christian Old Testament is translated correctly, but there is still a lot that is not translated properly and it causes a totally different understanding of the Hebrew bible.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
27-02-2017, 06:33 PM
(26-02-2017 02:45 PM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote:  
(23-02-2017 08:03 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Hello Ms. Darkbloom. Nice to see you here. Smile

I know the name can be misleading, but I'll put this out there for all the TTA members who haven't heard--I am male.

The name Vivian Darkbloom is an anagram of Vladimir Nabokov, my favorite writer.

Fair enough. I almost never question posting handles. Wink

I, on the other hand, am from Altair VI. But I usually don't talk about it . . .

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
27-02-2017, 06:52 PM
(26-02-2017 01:41 PM)morondog Wrote:  Welcome Amazonians Smile

Thank you.
27-02-2017, 07:04 PM
(27-02-2017 06:33 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(26-02-2017 02:45 PM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote:  I know the name can be misleading, but I'll put this out there for all the TTA members who haven't heard--I am male.

Fair enough. I almost never question posting handles. Wink

I, on the other hand, am from Altair VI. But I usually don't talk about it . . .

Death to all Altarians! Fomalhaut b has the only true people! Angry
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
01-03-2017, 04:51 PM
So far our little list of undocumented immigrants appears to consist of:

ASH
Bubba
Dorsie
Dr H
Gwaithmir
Grasshoppa
Irish Lace
Jay Vogelsong
J. True
LifelongAtheist
Mary L. Mand
M. Linoge
Norm Deplume
R^3
S. Friedman
SinSeeker (Klapaucius)
Vivian Darkbloom

Yet to take the plunge are:

Abigail O. (?)
Ada Davis (?)
Brunumb
Django Unhinged
Happy Skeptic
Lao Tzu
Laurence Levine
Mickey
S. Anderson
TIM
Wolfpup/Wolf

Plus a handful of less frequent posters, and a whole host of less savory characters (Doctor, voiceoftruth, etc.)

Doubtless, I've left some out. Who?

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
01-03-2017, 05:05 PM
(01-03-2017 04:51 PM)Dr H Wrote:  So far our little list of undocumented immigrants appears to consist of:

ASH
Bubba
Dorsie
Dr H
Gwaithmir
Grasshoppa
Irish Lace
Jay Vogelsong
J. True
LifelongAtheist
Mary L. Mand
M. Linoge
Norm Deplume
R^3
S. Friedman
SinSeeker (Klapaucius)
Vivian Darkbloom

Abigail O. (?)
Ada Davis (?)
Brunumb
Django Unhinged
Happy Skeptic
Lao Tzu
Laurence Levine
Mickey
S. Anderson
TIM
Wolfpup/Wolf

Plus a handful of less frequent posters, and a whole host of less savory characters (Doctor, voiceoftruth, etc.)

We'll need to speed up the visa process. Yes
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
01-03-2017, 05:33 PM
(01-03-2017 05:05 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(01-03-2017 04:51 PM)Dr H Wrote:  So far our little list of undocumented immigrants appears to consist of:

ASH
Bubba
Dorsie
Dr H
Gwaithmir
Grasshoppa
Irish Lace
Jay Vogelsong
J. True
LifelongAtheist
Mary L. Mand
M. Linoge
Norm Deplume
R^3
S. Friedman
SinSeeker (Klapaucius)
Vivian Darkbloom

Abigail O. (?)
Ada Davis (?)
Brunumb
Django Unhinged
Happy Skeptic
Lao Tzu
Laurence Levine
Mickey
S. Anderson
TIM
Wolfpup/Wolf

We'll need to speed up the visa process. Yes

Hah! Glad to NOT be listed with the LSCs! I followed all of you here about 21 months ago. Laugh out load (Ada Davis/Rockblossom)

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
[+] 1 user Likes Rockblossom's post