Amazon Refugee Roll Call

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2017, 06:51 AM
RE: Amazon Refugee Roll Call
(03-03-2017 03:38 PM)Mary L. Mand Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 08:59 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > Actually, I am quite proud to have been kicked out of the Amazon forums for honestly speaking my mind.

I haven't been kicked off...yet. I'm starting to think of it as a badge of honor.

Yeah, I'm still alive there but am afraid to post. It's like they put up a sign that says 'beware of invisible dog'. Or maybe nothing like that. It's early - need coffee.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like S. Friedman's post
04-03-2017, 07:01 AM
(03-03-2017 07:58 PM)Dr H Wrote:  3) We all know that Amazon rarely, if ever, actually reviews any complaints or comments, as witness their consistent response of either nothing; or a form letter referencing a generic document that explains nothing. However, we do know that when they receive complaints of "abuse" they frequently react by deleting the post reported -- often, I think, without actually reading it. (I've recently had posts deleted that were nothing more than neutral responses to questions asked in a prior post, or pointers to this forum.)

Forum admin actions need to be transparent, and admin needs to be a presence in the forum, someone you can get to know and chat with. That way you can soon make your own informed decision as to whether you want to stay or not.

Here, bannings and the reasons for them are published (btw. "cock pimple" is an in-joke and originated with a phone changing input several times in a row - it was supposed to read sock puppet. Sock puppets are second accounts and we do not allow them.)

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
04-03-2017, 07:15 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2017 07:19 AM by Dorsie.)
(04-03-2017 06:05 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 05:42 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Right...
Yup, kinda like an abattoir, you might wanna peek inside out of curiosity but you wouldn't wanna stay there. Laugh out load

The Amazon atheist forum used to be fun place several years ago when I started on it. No really. Please stop laughing. Weeping

There were trolls, of course, but they were classy ones with whom you could have a mutually, but mildly, antagonistic discussion. They brought up the most interesting conspiracies and pseudo science. I learned a lot about some pretty esoteric fields researching fact-checked replies, and I'm pretty proud of a few I wrote. Shy

We atheists also had our own threads to discuss things among ourselves, and trolls stayed out of those. I loved the news thread in which we could post any current events that affected atheists. If there is a similar thread here, I would love to be active there.

But the Amazon forum ecosystem is vast, with many hundreds of separate forums originally created by users tagging products. Moderation was impossible without investing a lot of money, so no doubt poorly paid moderators and bots took over the task.

A real nastiness started to spread through all of the Amazon forums. There were verbal eviscerations in the Top Reviewers and other book forums with big name authors especially getting creamed, sometimes justifiably, mostly not. The trolls got to be of the worst kind, with the sole intent to irritate others with the most moronic drivel they and puerile insults they could find and repeat ad nauseam.

There were truly vicious cases of doxing, lewd harassment of minors, and instant ridicule of anyone with technical questions about Kindles, Echos, etc. Many of the forums became ganglands exposing Amazon to real sales losses and legal problems. The company is now at the point of trying to clean up the mess, but they have no one qualified to even make a plan, and I think the employees saddled with the task have snapped and are just indulging their own personal biases using ban hatchets.Yes

I remember the wonderful cohesiveness of the Kindle forum when Kindles were new, until Kindle tablets came along. Everyone was there to share good books and answer any and all questions. The cliques hadn't formed yet and we were a family, led by a brilliant, kind user who left when things got mean. I remember especially sharing the joy of the Chilean minors rescue live with at least twenty others all over the world, and a happy afternoon spent with a dozen of us sharing good jokes with an anxious user awaiting delivery of her first Kindle, and then teaching her how to use it. Smile

I am thrilled to find a lot of that original community feeling here, and hope to contribute my part, even though I don't post a lot.

Just a note about my posting habits. I have a visual disability that makes me have to do edits a lot. If an edit alters any substance of the post at all, I always add a note explaining the change. Promise.

Thanks for listening Hug
[+] 7 users Like Dorsie's post
04-03-2017, 07:31 AM
I'm sorry my bad, its my humour, you'll get used to it, we are really genuinely pleased to have you here you seem like a nice bunch. Some of the differences are that we seem to have considerably more freedom to be cheeky than perhaps you guys are used to, I'm sure you had some real good times there and I hope you feel welcome here and will settle in happily. I didn't like the layout of the amazon sites d I hold by that but I guess its just a case of what you are used to.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
04-03-2017, 07:50 AM
(04-03-2017 07:15 AM)Dorsie Wrote:  I loved the news thread in which we could post any current events that affected atheists. If there is a similar thread here, I would love to be active there.

Please start one, I don't recall us having one. We could ask admin to pin it, sounds to me like it would be a useful thing to all of us. There are many threads discussing news that affect us, but not a "go-to" thread, and we have grown too big to remember and update these kinds of news when they are buried in the many, many threads.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
04-03-2017, 08:04 AM
(04-03-2017 07:50 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 07:15 AM)Dorsie Wrote:  I loved the news thread in which we could post any current events that affected atheists. If there is a similar thread here, I would love to be active there.

Please start one, I don't recall us having one. We could ask admin to pin it, sounds to me like it would be a useful thing to all of us. There are many threads discussing news that affect us, but not a "go-to" thread, and we have grown too big to remember and update these kinds of news when they are buried in the many, many threads.

Oooh, my first thread. Would General Discussions be a good place? Maybe call it "Current News of Concern to Atheists." I'll start it tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement. Smile
[+] 3 users Like Dorsie's post
04-03-2017, 08:14 AM
(04-03-2017 07:31 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I'm sorry my bad, its my humour, you'll get used to it, we are really genuinely pleased to have you here you seem like a nice bunch. Some of the differences are that we seem to have considerably more freedom to be cheeky than perhaps you guys are used to, I'm sure you had some real good times there and I hope you feel welcome here and will settle in happily. I didn't like the layout of the amazon sites d I hold by that but I guess its just a case of what you are used to.

Not to worry. I am a great fan of sarcasm and nipping humor. You all have nothing to prove to me and your ribbing is taken in the friendly spirit intended. When I get a little more established, I may display some of my own repertoire.

Besides which, all of your comments on that forum as it is today were spot on. That's why we left.

None of you have been anything but gracious to us. Smile Yes
[+] 2 users Like Dorsie's post
04-03-2017, 08:19 AM
(04-03-2017 08:04 AM)Dorsie Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 07:50 AM)Dom Wrote:  Please start one, I don't recall us having one. We could ask admin to pin it, sounds to me like it would be a useful thing to all of us. There are many threads discussing news that affect us, but not a "go-to" thread, and we have grown too big to remember and update these kinds of news when they are buried in the many, many threads.

Oooh, my first thread. Would General Discussions be a good place? Maybe call it "Current News of Concern to Atheists." I'll start it tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement. Smile

I would put it under world news, and the title sounds cool.

[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
04-03-2017, 09:24 AM
(04-03-2017 08:19 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 08:04 AM)Dorsie Wrote:  Oooh, my first thread. Would General Discussions be a good place? Maybe call it "Current News of Concern to Atheists." I'll start it tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement. Smile

I would put it under world news, and the title sounds cool.

Thank you for the suggestion. It's much better suited to the increased number of people here from the global community. Will do.

I must do a little research first for my first post about the tangled web of North Carolina's bathroom, the infamous HB2, especially with regard to Trumps slashing of Obama's sane executive order granting freedom and security for often abused transgenders. Can't have that in the land of liberty, now can we? Sadcryface

I'm a night owl, so look for it about Sunday 0300 coordinated universal time (Saturday 10 PM EST.)
[+] 4 users Like Dorsie's post
04-03-2017, 11:28 AM
(04-03-2017 07:15 AM)Dorsie Wrote:  Just a note about my posting habits. I have a visual disability that makes me have to do edits a lot. If an edit alters any substance of the post at all, I always add a note explaining the change. Promise.

There's this little button next to post which says "Preview" which allows you to view the post while you're writing it before you post. Yeah, I don't use it either.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post