Amazon Refugee Roll Call

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2017, 09:59 PM
RE: Amazon Refugee Roll Call
(15-03-2017 08:10 PM)zoltan Wrote:  zoltan is here

[Image: tenor.gif]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
15-03-2017, 10:02 PM
(15-03-2017 09:35 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Another physicist! What did you do with your training?

After a truly horrible Ph.D. experience, I abandoned particle physics, fled west, and sold out to the Military Industrial Complex. I've done various sorts of remote sensing--radar, sonar, and some other -ars.
[+] 1 user Likes John Derderian's post
15-03-2017, 10:52 PM
Welcome new people!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
16-03-2017, 12:07 AM
(15-03-2017 04:38 PM)Mary L. Mand Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 01:54 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Mickey isn't THAT crazy. Actually, he's not crazy at all, just obsessively/compulsively tedious on the subject of his agnosticism, which he defines a bit differently from <ahem> most people. Wink

Atheists upset poor, little Mickey because they insist there are only theists and atheists. He's an agnostic and don't ever forget it! He has to barge into any and every atheist thread he can find to get this message out. 'The paranoia is strong in this one.'

Ah yes, we've got a couple of those.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
16-03-2017, 04:00 AM
(16-03-2017 12:07 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 04:38 PM)Mary L. Mand Wrote:  Atheists upset poor, little Mickey because they insist there are only theists and atheists. He's an agnostic and don't ever forget it! He has to barge into any and every atheist thread he can find to get this message out. 'The paranoia is strong in this one.'

Ah yes, we've got a couple of those.

> Mickey's problem is that he's too far into splitting hairs when it comes to definitions. I tried to explain it to him a few times, but it would have been easier to teach my cat how to play checkers.

> Why? Is he lurking about this website now? Consider
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
16-03-2017, 04:26 AM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2017 04:58 AM by houseofcantor.)
(15-03-2017 08:20 PM)Happy Skeptic Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 01:54 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Mickey isn't THAT crazy. Actually, he's not crazy at all, just obsessively/compulsively tedious on the subject of his agnosticism, which he defines a bit differently from <ahem> most people. Wink

It would be ironic if, now that we are away from the trolls, we miss them Gasp

confusion != agnosticism .
atheism != a positive declaration that there is no god .
knowledge != belief .

Ah, the memories Facepalm

There are a few trolls over here for your amusement.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
16-03-2017, 04:55 AM
(16-03-2017 04:00 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 12:07 AM)morondog Wrote:  Ah yes, we've got a couple of those.

> Mickey's problem is that he's too far into splitting hairs when it comes to definitions. I tried to explain it to him a few times, but it would have been easier to teach my cat how to play checkers.

> Why? Is he lurking about this website now? Consider

In my experience it's not just one person, there's a whole class of people who're endlessly pedantic about exactly what the word agnostic means and why it's important that we not only accept their definition of the word but also quite frequently a load of flower fairy twaddle about how everyone's right at some level... I dunno if your specific guy's here.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
16-03-2017, 05:15 AM
Welcome to even more Amazonian boat people, may your stay here be a productive and happy one. Thumbsup
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
16-03-2017, 08:22 AM
(15-03-2017 09:59 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 08:10 PM)zoltan Wrote:  zoltan is here

[Image: tenor.gif]

Is that supposed to make sense to me?

"I wouldn't have had I been able."--- Anon
[+] 1 user Likes zoltan's post
16-03-2017, 08:24 AM
(15-03-2017 09:35 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 06:51 PM)John Derderian Wrote:  I probably don't count as an Amazon refugee, since I posted only rarely there. But I'm here because I saw it mentioned there. So now I will post only rarely here, I guess. My resume: atheist, physicist professionally, science fiction writer very unprofessionally.

Welcome! Another physicist! What did you do with your training? I spent about 10 years in antennas and propagation, and the rest in missile defense and MILSATCOM. There was a brief excursion into plasma isotope separation. Thumbsup

Also a physicist here, though economic reality turned me into a programmer after my post-doc.
[+] 2 users Like Happy Skeptic's post