Amazon Refugee Roll Call

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2017, 04:41 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2017 04:56 AM by Thoreauvian.)
RE: Amazon Refugee Roll Call
(13-04-2017 09:49 PM)Rachel Wrote:  I looked around the forum. There's hardly anyone left. There's a new guy who seems to be a pretty intelligent man who has no patience for fools. There seem to be more surviving trolls than rational people. I'm a bit sad over it all.

Amazon so haphazardly enforces its own guidelines that it creates many opportunities for trolls to wreck any given discussion.

Shocking
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
14-04-2017, 06:52 AM
(13-04-2017 08:23 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 08:16 PM)Mary L. Mand Wrote:  Some of us are hard-headed stayers, and haven't been banned yet.
I try to drop in just enough to keep as few of the more smarmy theists on their toes. But really, most of the action is over here in TTA, these days.

Although judging by the unpopularity of my political position, I may get banned from here before Amazon decides to drop the axe.

I guess time will tell. Consider

You don't get banned for having political positions. You get banned for being a dick. I don't see you getting banned from here.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
14-04-2017, 06:59 AM
(14-04-2017 12:37 AM)Rachel Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 10:08 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > I don't bother looking at the forums over there anymore and I've cut my purchases in half. Oddly, I'm still allowed to post product reviews. Consider

Today was my last visit over there. The moderator/bot who "responded" mention that s/he/it had "reviewed" my account. Why? Do they give more weight to people who doesn't more? I used to buy a lot from Amazon, but I'm starting to cut down. The problem is that B&N's website is terrible. I tried buying from them for a while. I got 2 of everything I ever bought from them and played hell sending the duplicates back. By contrast, Ammy's customer service is top notch. I'm in a quandary. Why would they show good customers such blatant disrespect?

We found an alternate site for discussions. We should compare notes for alternative, non-B&N sites for books, music, and movies.

PS: I don't get the little Consider thingies on some people's posts. Would you explain?

When reading, one can't get the tone of the post sometimes, especially when someone has dry humor or is being facetious or sarcastic, etc. Sometimes the emoticons point out the intent of the post ( I like using this one a lot Tongue ) and sometimes they just add feeling Heart

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
14-04-2017, 07:00 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2017 07:03 AM by Gwaithmir.)
(14-04-2017 12:37 AM)Rachel Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 10:08 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > I don't bother looking at the forums over there anymore and I've cut my purchases in half. Oddly, I'm still allowed to post product reviews. Consider

Today was my last visit over there. The moderator/bot who "responded" mention that s/he/it had "reviewed" my account. Why? Do they give more weight to people who doesn't more? I used to buy a lot from Amazon, but I'm starting to cut down. The problem is that B&N's website is terrible. I tried buying from them for a while. I got 2 of everything I ever bought from them and played hell sending the duplicates back. By contrast, Ammy's customer service is top notch. I'm in a quandary. Why would they show good customers such blatant disrespect?

We found an alternate site for discussions. We should compare notes for alternative, non-B&N sites for books, music, and movies.

PS: I don't get the little Consider thingies on some people's posts. Would you explain?

> You have to remember that the forums and customer services are in different compartments. Forum moderators have nothing to do with sales.

> If you put your cursor on the emoticon without clicking, a little box appears explaining it meaning.
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
14-04-2017, 09:03 AM
Amazon Refugee Roll Call
(14-04-2017 04:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  What's to explain? Is an emoticon. Text version of a smile, or used to be. After a while people started substituting little images for the text.

I am aware of emoticons. I've seen them for years. I've used them for years. I have never seen them in this format. I guess the person who said "There are no stupid questions" wasn't you.
[+] 1 user Likes Rachel's post
14-04-2017, 09:16 AM
Amazon Refugee Roll Call
(14-04-2017 07:00 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > You have to remember that the forums and customer services are in different compartments. Forum moderators have nothing to do with sales.

Okay. So? The mods are acting as agents for Bezos and thus are representative of the company.

(14-04-2017 07:00 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > If you put your cursor on the emoticon without clicking, a little box appears explaining it meaning.

The meaning is clear from the text. I'm using Tapatalk from my phone and don't have a cursor.
[+] 1 user Likes Rachel's post
14-04-2017, 09:31 AM
(14-04-2017 09:16 AM)Rachel Wrote:  The meaning is clear from the text. I'm using Tapatalk from my phone and don't have a cursor.

Actually, in posts the text does not always convey meaning as a conversation would. Nuances and intent are sometimes unclear. The emoticons impart what would normally come from facial expressions , such as mischievous smiles or raised eyebrows etc. We do a lot of banter here, giving humorous answers to dry comments and such. This sort of thing is very easy to misunderstand without facial expressions. They also allow you to get to know personalities, we are a very diverse and large community.

[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
14-04-2017, 10:26 AM
(14-04-2017 09:16 AM)Rachel Wrote:  Okay. So? The mods are acting as agents for Bezos and thus are representative of the company.

It's an illogical claim that the forum's moderators are acting as "agents" for Jeff Bezos. Regardless, you need to remember that anybody who partakes in—any or all—forums does so as a virtual "guest" of the forum's owner/administrator, and is thereby bound by the terms and conditions that are applied by that owner/administrator. Your personal definition of "fairness" doesn't enter into the argument. Sorry.

There's an obvious solution for anybody who disagrees with those T&Cs and that's to simply refrain from posting any more—and, bearing that in mind, I'm not sure as to why you're repeatedly whinging about Amazon on this forum. You need to lighten up, and move on. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
14-04-2017, 10:29 AM
Hey, I got a question for you warrior women, do you know if you gave away copyright when you signed up for the Amazon forums? Wouldn't surprise me if the bastards tried to claim the rights to use your words unattributed in return for the use of their infrastructure in some signup small print.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-04-2017, 10:36 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2017 10:51 AM by GirlyMan.)
(13-04-2017 08:23 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Although judging by the unpopularity of my political position, I may get banned from here before Amazon decides to drop the axe.

What??? I like extreme positions. They're more interesting. Yours don't seem particularly extreme. Oh, I see you got here just after the LoudDorkHollerer stopped posting when he found out that Obama was wiretapping him. And have you met the commie pinko bastard mod DLJ fucker yet? Those are some extreme positions.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post