Amazon Refugee Roll Call

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2017, 11:46 AM
RE: Amazon Refugee Roll Call
(14-04-2017 12:37 AM)Rachel Wrote:  PS: I don't get the little Consider thingies on some people's posts. Would you explain?

I use it as punctuation. "Wait, let me think a minute." Other uses include puzzlement and sometimes sarcasm in response to a dimwit post. Probably some more.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-04-2017, 11:46 AM
(14-04-2017 11:33 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Wow! So angry! I can see now why you encountered so much opposition to your views on Amazon LOL. You really need to lighten up sweetie.

You really need to stop making yourself look bad. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
14-04-2017, 11:49 AM
(14-04-2017 11:27 AM)Rachel Wrote:  After all this time, it's interesting to see that the theists were right about one thing. I often ask them if their religion has made them a better person. But the reverse is true: I've seen evidence that the lack of religion doesn't necessarily make someone a better person either.

Assholes are everywhere.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-04-2017, 12:45 PM
(14-04-2017 11:33 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Wow! So angry! I can see now why you encountered so much opposition to your views on Amazon LOL. You really need to lighten up sweetie.

One annoying trait of the True Believer is the delusion that they can read minds and thus can know what it is that I think, feel, or believe. Protip: you can't, so don't embarrass yourself any further.

In brief, since you obviously have a short attention span, you come at me with rudeness, that's what you will get in return. That includes mansplaining and condescension like "lighten up sweetie."

To clarify, it was only the True Believers at Amazon (presumably including the mods) who had a problem with me.
[+] 1 user Likes Rachel's post
14-04-2017, 03:24 PM
Amazon Refugee Roll Call
(14-04-2017 11:41 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 09:49 PM)Rachel Wrote:  The irritating thing is that my stalker and nemesis, "Macheath," who was banned after I was and managed to weasel his way back in, is crowing about my banning.
I looked around the forum. There's hardly anyone left.

Is there someone left to invite Mac over? We'll play with him if he gets lonely.

That's a good idea. He's got that whole "concern troll" act down to a fine art.
14-04-2017, 03:25 PM
Amazon Refugee Roll Call
(14-04-2017 11:49 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 11:27 AM)Rachel Wrote:  After all this time, it's interesting to see that the theists were right about one thing. I often ask them if their religion has made them a better person. But the reverse is true: I've seen evidence that the lack of religion doesn't necessarily make someone a better person either.

Assholes are everywhere.

They certainly are.
14-04-2017, 04:20 PM
(13-04-2017 08:32 PM)Mary L. Mand Wrote:  Oh, for shit's sake, what are you doing? And where?
Oh, just being my usual annoying anarchist self in a couple of political threads. Wink

Quote:BTW, I called Crapiche a liar today.
Heh, stating the obvious. Except to him, of course. Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
14-04-2017, 04:31 PM
(13-04-2017 09:44 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I think that some of what you put here is controversial, and will be argued against. Unless you say something incredibly stupid (which you haven't, IMHO), you'll be fine. Not that this is anything beyond damning with faint praise. Just look around here at some of the idiocy that has been tolerated. Look at Heywood Jahblohme's posts, for example. He posted here for years. Or theBorg. He got many a frequent flier mile with his insanity before he finally got banned. You're going to have to join the people in that clown car to get evicted! Shit, you have a logical mind, and present your case well. You'll get converts, just watch. Thumbsup

Thanks, Fireball.

I'm still a little gun-shy from Amazon, where you were never quite sure when you were going to get whacked, and if you were whacked, no one ever told you why.

I've never been shy, though, about presenting my honest opinions and backing them up, even when unpopular. But in the brave new world of internet discussion, I've noticed that some people seem to equate disagreement with trolling, so I thought it best to prepare my attitude in advance. Wink

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
14-04-2017, 04:36 PM
(14-04-2017 04:31 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 09:44 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I think that some of what you put here is controversial, and will be argued against. Unless you say something incredibly stupid (which you haven't, IMHO), you'll be fine. Not that this is anything beyond damning with faint praise. Just look around here at some of the idiocy that has been tolerated. Look at Heywood Jahblohme's posts, for example. He posted here for years. Or theBorg. He got many a frequent flier mile with his insanity before he finally got banned. You're going to have to join the people in that clown car to get evicted! Shit, you have a logical mind, and present your case well. You'll get converts, just watch. Thumbsup

Thanks, Fireball.

I'm still a little gun-shy from Amazon, where you were never quite sure when you were going to get whacked, and if you were whacked, no one ever told you why.

I've never been shy, though, about presenting my honest opinions and backing them up, even when unpopular. But in the brave new world of internet discussion, I've noticed that some people seem to equate disagreement with trolling, so I thought it best to prepare my attitude in advance. Wink

Nothing wrong with disagreement or getting into debates. As long as you are civil about it then you have nothing to worry about. I agree with others that you have done nothing to be banned. For those who jump to trolling, I would just say if they can't stand the heat then they should get out of the kitchen. I would never get out of the kitchen because I like food.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
14-04-2017, 04:52 PM
(13-04-2017 09:49 PM)Rachel Wrote:  I received a reply from the Amazon moderators a couple of days ago. I had asked for a real person to explain exactly what it was about my posts which made them "spiteful." And apparently it was ALL my posts which were dripping with spite.

Instead of a real person I got their usual canned boilerplate response, where the robot curtly informed me that no further information would be forthcoming. So there it is. No indication of what the transgression was or what post or posts I did this heinous action. No indication of exactly WHO reviewed my posts to extract the spite. There's no indication of what standard this person used to find this elusive spite. And, the best part is: his/her judgment is final. No appeal.

The irritating thing is that my stalker and nemesis, "Macheath," who was banned after I was and managed to weasel his way back in, is crowing about my banning. The man from MA who posts his concern troll shtick nearly daily and likes to stir the pot with his inflammatory rhetoric while sayIng, "Who me," like Eddie Haskell, is still in good standing with the Amazon mods after having been banned, what, some 8 times under various names. Ghaack! I'm reaching for the Pepto-Bismol! There's no justice!

I looked around the forum. There's hardly anyone left. There's a new guy who seems to be a pretty intelligent man who has no patience for fools. There seem to be more surviving trolls than rational people. I'm a bit sad over it all.

Thus it passes.

Ave atque vale, Amazon (with apologies to Catullus)
In the past I thought that Amazon's deletions and bans were mostly the result of 'bots with flakey algorithms, with maybe a sprinkling of random human intervention tossed in from time to time.

But looking at what's happened over the past couple of months, it's hard not to credit that there may have been some truth to previous theories of an anti-atheist bias. Posters have disappeared from many of the fora there, but none are so shot through with holes as the atheist forum, where 200-post threads have been reduced to a handful of "me-too" posts surrounded by deletions. In most of the recent threads so much has been removed that it's impossible to tell what the topic of discussion is by reading the remaining posts.

I still don't think that Amazon per se is likely to have initiated the purge, but purge it does seem to have been. I suspect an effort of, shall we say "Biblical proportion" on the part of a certain handful of vindictive theist posters, who, no matter how many times removed from the scene, seemed to arise again every sunset, like vampires, to plague us anew.

Well, I hope they enjoy talking to themselves; I'm not going to miss them.

And for the record Rachel, even when we disagreed about some things, I never found any of your posts "spiteful". Indeed, I used to seek out threads in which you were involved to read your well-reasoned and frequently insightful posts.

Ah well, the past is past; we are now here.
Fuck Amazon. Big Grin

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post