RE: Amazon Refugee Roll Call
Is Bezos a Christian? Wiki don't say.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-04-2017, 05:06 PM
(13-04-2017 10:08 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > I don't bother looking at the forums over there anymore and I've cut my purchases in half. Oddly, I'm still allowed to post product reviews. Consider
I've posted over 300 product reviews over the years, and gotten thousands of "helpful" votes.

Just last week I posted a review (favorable) of a product I bought through Amazon, from an Amazon vendor -- my first contact ever with that vendor. The review was posted for a day and them pulled, with the "explanation" that Amazon doesn't allow "Creating, modifying, or posting content regarding your (or your relative's, close friend's, business associate's, or employer's) products or services." I am not permitted to edit, or create another review for that product.

WTF? I've never sold so much as a postage stamp through Amazon, and I don't personally know anybody who has. I hadn't (still haven't) even been able to contact the vendor in question directly, despite a couple of attempts, much less collude with him/her. And of course there's no getting any further information from Amazon or appealing the decision.

First time that's even happened to me; could be the beginning of the end.

At any rate, since I essentially abandoned their fora for this one, I haven't bought anything from Amazon (in contrast to a past average of 2-4 purchases a month). This trend may well continue; it's already freed up some discretionary cash that I'm using to add to my single malt collection. Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
14-04-2017, 05:15 PM
(14-04-2017 12:37 AM)Rachel Wrote:  The problem is that B&N's website is terrible. I tried buying from them for a while. I got 2 of everything I ever bought from them and played hell sending the duplicates back. By contrast, Ammy's customer service is top notch. I'm in a quandary. Why would they show good customers such blatant disrespect?

We found an alternate site for discussions. We should compare notes for alternative, non-B&N sites for books, music, and movies.

PS: I don't get the little Consider thingies on some people's posts. Would you explain?
I buy a lot from B&N, but you're right -- their on-line presence sucks rocks.
They have a brick-and-mortar store in my area, and I shop there.

If I have to order something I do it through the store, which usually works pretty well. Their customer service at the store is top notch (on line it's mediocre at best). You don't have to pay in advance, usually takes a week or less, they call you when it comes in, and if you don't like the looks of what you ordered when it comes in you don't have to take it, or worry about sending it back. That's worked pretty well for me over the years.

--
Dr H

14-04-2017, 05:25 PM
Amazon Refugee Roll Call
(14-04-2017 04:52 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Well, I hope they enjoy talking to themselves; I'm not going to miss them.

When I first arrived, I had some stimulating discussions with Lee Freeman and John Lewis. I learned a lot from them, namely how not to frame an argument. I learned some interesting facts about the role of the RCC in WWII which I wouldn't have known had I not been prompted to refute a stale argument. Along the way, the intelligent Christians disappeared and were replaced by ferengi-bots and clones where no discussion was possible.

I think the Christians figured out that to get atheists banned, all they had to do was to complain en masse. The mods remind me of parents with ill-behaved children. They don't care about justice, they just want peace and quiet.

(14-04-2017 04:52 PM)Dr H Wrote:  And for the record Rachel, even when we disagreed about some things, I never found any of your posts "spiteful". Indeed, I used to seek out threads in which you were involved to read your well-reasoned and frequently insightful posts.
Thank you, H. Right back at you. I've always enjoyed your sense of humor.

(14-04-2017 04:52 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Ah well, the past is past; we are now here.
Fuck Amazon. Big Grin

Unfortunately, we are scattered. I rarely see you or Dorsie or Mary or M. Limoges. Amazon may have had its flaws, but we were a hardy bunch!
[+] 2 users Like Rachel's post
14-04-2017, 05:26 PM
Amazon Refugee Roll Call
(14-04-2017 04:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Is Bezos a Christian? Wiki don't say.

The only thing I know about Bezos is that he supports Trump. So he either worships money or Jesus or both.
[+] 2 users Like Rachel's post
14-04-2017, 05:30 PM
(14-04-2017 10:26 AM)SYZ Wrote:  It's an illogical claim that the forum's moderators are acting as "agents" for Jeff Bezos.
Well, they are representing his company, in a context which that company set up specifically to attract customers. When they are unpleasant to customers it's kind of like being insulted by the guy stocking the shelves at a supermarket while you're in there buying your groceries. His actions reflect on the store, and if you want to complain you're probably going to the manager or the owner, and not to the stock clerk.

Quote:Regardless, you need to remember that anybody who partakes in—any or all—forums does so as a virtual "guest" of the forum's owner/administrator, and is thereby bound by the terms and conditions that are applied by that owner/administrator. Your personal definition of "fairness" doesn't enter into the argument. Sorry.
True, but in most cases the terms and conditions are made known, either up front, or by request. Amazon likes to play coy with theirs, which is, at the very least, annoying. If they say you've committed an infraction, you can't apologize, correct it, and grow from the experience, because they refuse to tell you precisely what you did that they thought was wrong.

Quote:There's an obvious solution for anybody who disagrees with those T&Cs and that's to simply refrain from posting any more—and, bearing that in mind, I'm not sure as to why you're repeatedly whinging about Amazon on this forum. You need to lighten up, and move on. Smile
Aw c'mon... we were abused by Amazon. We've got a right to whinge about it for a bit. Emotional scarring, and all that. Wink

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
14-04-2017, 05:32 PM
Amazon Refugee Roll Call
(14-04-2017 05:15 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 12:37 AM)Rachel Wrote:  The problem is that B&N's website is terrible. I tried buying from them for a while. I got 2 of everything I ever bought from them and played hell sending the duplicates back. By contrast, Ammy's customer service is top notch. I'm in a quandary. Why would they show good customers such blatant disrespect?

We found an alternate site for discussions. We should compare notes for alternative, non-B&N sites for books, music, and movies.

PS: I don't get the little Consider thingies on some people's posts. Would you explain?
I buy a lot from B&N, but you're right -- their on-line presence sucks rocks.
They have a brick-and-mortar store in my area, and I shop there.

If I have to order something I do it through the store, which usually works pretty well. Their customer service at the store is top notch (on line it's mediocre at best). You don't have to pay in advance, usually takes a week or less, they call you when it comes in, and if you don't like the looks of what you ordered when it comes in you don't have to take it, or worry about sending it back. That's worked pretty well for me over the years.

Any suggestions for online books, etc? For older books, I use abebooks. For classical music, I use Archivmusic. But what about newer books and non-classical music? For reasons obscure to me, it's impossible to install a port so I can listen to my iPod in the car. Thus is digital music excluded. A couple of months ago, I started shopping other vendors for my dog food. I was using pet food station and now I use Chewy.com.
[+] 1 user Likes Rachel's post
14-04-2017, 05:33 PM
(14-04-2017 10:29 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Hey, I got a question for you warrior women, do you know if you gave away copyright when you signed up for the Amazon forums? Wouldn't surprise me if the bastards tried to claim the rights to use your words unattributed in return for the use of their infrastructure in some signup small print.
Probably we did, but with Amazon there's no way to really tell.
Their print is not only small, you have to go on a scavenger hunt to find it, and by the time you do it's probably different from the last time you looked at it.

--
Dr H

14-04-2017, 05:38 PM
(14-04-2017 10:36 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What??? I like extreme positions. They're more interesting. Yours don't seem particularly extreme. Oh, I see you got here just after the LoudDorkHollerer stopped posting when he found out that Obama was wiretapping him. And have you met the commie pinko bastard mod DLJ fucker yet? Those are some extreme positions.

Heh, okay, I guess I won't start worrying yet.

I don't think my positions are extreme, either, BTW, but extreme and unpopular aren't quite equivalent.
Anyway, most anarchists have thick hides; we have to, since we tend to get poked a lot from both sides. Wink

--
Dr H

14-04-2017, 05:40 PM
(14-04-2017 10:42 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Oh nooooo! Your political flavors aren't just who you are on this forum -- we do try to look at the whole person as long as you present us with the whole you and not just focus on the political part.
Thanks, Mom, I appreciate that.

Quote:And you've thus far, never demanded that the cunt ban you.
Far be it from me to put in such a demand. Smile

--
Dr H