Amazon Refugee Roll Call

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2017, 05:41 PM
RE: Amazon Refugee Roll Call
(14-04-2017 05:38 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 10:36 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What??? I like extreme positions. They're more interesting. Yours don't seem particularly extreme. Oh, I see you got here just after the LoudDorkHollerer stopped posting when he found out that Obama was wiretapping him. And have you met the commie pinko bastard mod DLJ fucker yet? Those are some extreme positions.

Heh, okay, I guess I won't start worrying yet.

I don't think my positions are extreme, either, BTW, but extreme and unpopular aren't quite equivalent.
Anyway, most anarchists have thick hides; we have to, since we tend to get poked a lot from both sides. Wink

I like the concepts of both anarchism and communism. They are both currently unsustainable for the same reasons. And when they both are sustainable they will be indistinguishable.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-04-2017, 05:44 PM
(14-04-2017 11:22 AM)Rachel Wrote:  I've heard that, but what would be the point of using my words without my permission? Advertising? I think the only time that would apply would be with customer reviews.

Well... Amazon might need to rain "spite" on someone, someday, and why should they work for it when they already have all your material? Big Grin

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
14-04-2017, 05:46 PM
(14-04-2017 11:32 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yeah, I'm thinking of advertising or marketing purposes. "Not an actor, real person" sort of thing.

Makes me think of that old OTC medication ad, "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV."

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
14-04-2017, 05:52 PM
(14-04-2017 04:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Is Bezos a Christian? Wiki don't say.

I'm thinking "A Tool of Satan", more likely.

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
14-04-2017, 05:58 PM
(14-04-2017 05:25 PM)Rachel Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 04:52 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Well, I hope they enjoy talking to themselves; I'm not going to miss them.

When I first arrived, I had some stimulating discussions with Lee Freeman and John Lewis. I learned a lot from them, namely how not to frame an argument. I learned some interesting facts about the role of the RCC in WWII which I wouldn't have known had I not been prompted to refute a stale argument. Along the way, the intelligent Christians disappeared and were replaced by ferengi-bots and clones where no discussion was possible.

I think the Christians figured out that to get atheists banned, all they had to do was to complain en masse. The mods remind me of parents with ill-behaved children. They don't care about justice, they just want peace and quiet.

(14-04-2017 04:52 PM)Dr H Wrote:  And for the record Rachel, even when we disagreed about some things, I never found any of your posts "spiteful". Indeed, I used to seek out threads in which you were involved to read your well-reasoned and frequently insightful posts.
Thank you, H. Right back at you. I've always enjoyed your sense of humor.

(14-04-2017 04:52 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Ah well, the past is past; we are now here.
Fuck Amazon. Big Grin

Unfortunately, we are scattered. I rarely see you or Dorsie or Mary or M. Limoges. Amazon may have had its flaws, but we were a hardy bunch!

Here at this moment, my girl. For now, communicate with me here, k? I haven't been traipsing around much lately.
14-04-2017, 06:17 PM
(14-04-2017 05:25 PM)Rachel Wrote:  Unfortunately, we are scattered. I rarely see you or Dorsie or Mary or M. Limoges. Amazon may have had its flaws, but we were a hardy bunch!
It's true, we are pretty scattered here.. I've tried to at least touch on most of the major fora, figuring that sooner or later I'd encounter a familiar handle -- and I have ... a few. But there are SO MANY fora, subfora, and topics here! You could drop all of the Amazon fora in here and they would just disappear into the background.

I've been spending a lot of time in "Politics", and politics was never that popular of a topic in the Amazon atheist forum. I've also been drawn to threads in "World News" and "Skepticism, Science, & etc. ..."

This thread has proven a good way to touch base with fellow refugees.

And if Amazonians ever feel the need for periodic reunions, "Casual Coffeehouse" might be a viable place to gather. It seems to be the "miscellaneous" place on the site. Smile

--
Dr H

14-04-2017, 06:27 PM
(14-04-2017 06:17 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 05:25 PM)Rachel Wrote:  Unfortunately, we are scattered. I rarely see you or Dorsie or Mary or M. Limoges. Amazon may have had its flaws, but we were a hardy bunch!
It's true, we are pretty scattered here.. I've tried to at least touch on most of the major fora, figuring that sooner or later I'd encounter a familiar handle -- and I have ... a few. But there are SO MANY fora, subfora, and topics here! You could drop all of the Amazon fora in here and they would just disappear into the background.

I've been spending a lot of time in "Politics", and politics was never that popular of a topic in the Amazon atheist forum. I've also been drawn to threads in "World News" and "Skepticism, Science, & etc. ..."

This thread has proven a good way to touch base with fellow refugees.

And if Amazonians ever feel the need for periodic reunions, "Casual Coffeehouse" might be a viable place to gather. It seems to be the "miscellaneous" place on the site. Smile

As a group you Amazonians are a pretty good bunch. So yeah, you Amazonians should start yourselves a Casual Coffeehouse thread. Call it something like "Amazonians drinking coffee" or something like that. Then the rest of us TTA people can read it about your lives and gossip about you. Big Grin It'd be super fun. Tongue

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
14-04-2017, 06:29 PM
Amazon Refugee Roll Call
(14-04-2017 05:44 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 11:22 AM)Rachel Wrote:  I've heard that, but what would be the point of using my words without my permission? Advertising? I think the only time that would apply would be with customer reviews.

Well... Amazon might need to rain "spite" on someone, someday, and why should they work for it when they already have all your material? Big Grin

Ouch! Just call me the Queen of Spite!
[+] 2 users Like Rachel's post
14-04-2017, 06:31 PM
Amazon Refugee Roll Call
(14-04-2017 05:58 PM)Mary L. Mand Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 05:25 PM)Rachel Wrote:  When I first arrived, I had some stimulating discussions with Lee Freeman and John Lewis. I learned a lot from them, namely how not to frame an argument. I learned some interesting facts about the role of the RCC in WWII which I wouldn't have known had I not been prompted to refute a stale argument. Along the way, the intelligent Christians disappeared and were replaced by ferengi-bots and clones where no discussion was possible.

I think the Christians figured out that to get atheists banned, all they had to do was to complain en masse. The mods remind me of parents with ill-behaved children. They don't care about justice, they just want peace and quiet.

Thank you, H. Right back at you. I've always enjoyed your sense of humor.

Unfortunately, we are scattered. I rarely see you or Dorsie or Mary or M. Limoges. Amazon may have had its flaws, but we were a hardy bunch!

Here at this moment, my girl. For now, communicate with me here, k? I haven't been traipsing around much lately.

Hi Mom! Good to see you again! Don't be a stranger, okay?
[+] 1 user Likes Rachel's post
14-04-2017, 06:32 PM
(14-04-2017 05:32 PM)Rachel Wrote:  Any suggestions for online books, etc? For older books, I use abebooks. For classical music, I use Archivmusic. But what about newer books and non-classical music? For reasons obscure to me, it's impossible to install a port so I can listen to my iPod in the car. Thus is digital music excluded. A couple of months ago, I started shopping other vendors for my dog food. I was using pet food station and now I use Chewy.com.
There's Powell's. Although, again, since their (huge!) brick&mortar store is only a little over a hundred miles away, I usually go there in person. But I have ordered from them online, with good results. Their forte is old books (and they can get you stuff printed in the Renaissance if you've got the urge and the $$$), but they can do new stuff, too (although I usually use B&N for that).

For music, as in CDs and vinyl, I usually go direct to individual vendors for specific stuff -- whoever has whatever weird thing I'm looking for, that's who I buy from. Or I shop locally in a place called, oddly enough, "CD World", which until recently was mostly CDs, but now has about 50% of their floorspace devoted to vinyl offerings, much of it new.

Guess it depends what kind of stuff you're looking for. With mainstream stuff, it pays to shop around for price, and I can see wanting to find a good, solid single source that carries a bunch of it. (B&N actually carries a considerable amount of music, these days.) But so much of the stuff I get is relatively obscure, that often there is only one place to get it.

--
Dr H