Amazon Refugee Roll Call

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2017, 06:36 PM
RE: Amazon Refugee Roll Call
(14-04-2017 05:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I like the concepts of both anarchism and communism. They are both currently unsustainable for the same reasons. And when they both are sustainable they will be indistinguishable.

Interesting notion.
Communists, of course, have not been lax in taking advantage of opportunities to scapegoat anarchists, any more than have fascists or allegedly democratic capitalists. So it goes. . .

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
14-04-2017, 06:36 PM
Amazon Refugee Roll Call
(14-04-2017 06:17 PM)Dr H Wrote:  This thread has proven a good way to touch base with fellow refugees.

And if Amazonians ever feel the need for periodic reunions, "Casual Coffeehouse" might be a viable place to gather. It seems to be the "miscellaneous" place on the site. Smile

That's an excellent thought.
[+] 1 user Likes Rachel's post
14-04-2017, 08:13 PM
(14-04-2017 06:31 PM)Rachel Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 05:58 PM)Mary L. Mand Wrote:  Here at this moment, my girl. For now, communicate with me here, k? I haven't been traipsing around much lately.

Hi Mom! Good to see you again! Don't be a stranger, okay?

I'll do my best. Have had some issues with this friggin' seizure disorder lately - my right hand is getting more numb, so are my shins. It could be worse though, I CAN use them. Hope things are good with you.
[+] 1 user Likes Mary L. Mand's post
14-04-2017, 09:02 PM
Amazon Refugee Roll Call
(14-04-2017 08:13 PM)Mary L. Mand Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 06:31 PM)Rachel Wrote:  Hi Mom! Good to see you again! Don't be a stranger, okay?

I'll do my best. Have had some issues with this friggin' seizure disorder lately - my right hand is getting more numb, so are my shins. It could be worse though, I CAN use them. Hope things are good with you.

Sorry to hear about your seizure disorder. That can usually be controlled with medication. I hope your doctor figures it out.

We're mostly good here. I had a trip to the hospital the other day. I got organophosphate poisoning at work thanks to an idiot who sprayed the lunch room with pesticide, including the tables and the inside of the microwave because he saw ants! You can never go wrong assuming that everyone around you is a blithering idiot.
[+] 2 users Like Rachel's post
14-04-2017, 09:56 PM
(14-04-2017 09:02 PM)Rachel Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 08:13 PM)Mary L. Mand Wrote:  I'll do my best. Have had some issues with this friggin' seizure disorder lately - my right hand is getting more numb, so are my shins. It could be worse though, I CAN use them. Hope things are good with you.

Sorry to hear about your seizure disorder. That can usually be controlled with medication. I hope your doctor figures it out.

We're mostly good here. I had a trip to the hospital the other day. I got organophosphate poisoning at work thanks to an idiot who sprayed the lunch room with pesticide, including the tables and the inside of the microwave because he saw ants! You can never go wrong assuming that everyone around you is a blithering idiot.

Dafuq? Huh You work with some seriously stupid people. I hope to hell he got fired, and possibly prosecuted for criminal stupidity! You could have ended up dead. Ohmy
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
14-04-2017, 09:58 PM
(14-04-2017 06:36 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 05:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I like the concepts of both anarchism and communism. They are both currently unsustainable for the same reasons. And when they both are sustainable they will be indistinguishable.

Interesting notion.
Communists, of course, have not been lax in taking advantage of opportunities to scapegoat anarchists, any more than have fascists or allegedly democratic capitalists. So it goes. . .

The concepts, not the failed implementations.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-04-2017, 02:31 PM
Amazon Refugee Roll Call
(14-04-2017 09:56 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 09:02 PM)Rachel Wrote:  Sorry to hear about your seizure disorder. That can usually be controlled with medication. I hope your doctor figures it out.

Dafuq? Huh You work with some seriously stupid people. I hope to hell he got fired, and possibly prosecuted for criminal stupidity! You could have ended up dead. Ohmy

He wasn't fired. HR sent him to a class on remedial thinking or some damn thing. He's the colleague whose salary was frozen until mine could catch up. I'm sure there were no hard feelings or anything...
15-04-2017, 03:13 PM
(15-04-2017 02:31 PM)Rachel Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 09:56 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Dafuq? Huh You work with some seriously stupid people. I hope to hell he got fired, and possibly prosecuted for criminal stupidity! You could have ended up dead. Ohmy

He wasn't fired. HR sent him to a class on remedial thinking or some damn thing. He's the colleague whose salary was frozen until mine could catch up. I'm sure there were no hard feelings or anything...

Either he was vastly overpaid, or you were vastly underpaid. Was he aware of this salary situation, and that his lack of raises was tied you? Smart management would simply have gotten aggressive with your pay increases. This reminds me of my situation- I was supervising and reviewing three people's work, one of whom was a higher pay grade, and got crappy reviews. I was assigned to a different manager and went from "needs remediation" under that manager (who was also a shrieking harpy from the 3rd circle of hell), to getting promoted and making 20% more money in one year. Some of the fallout on the old manager is that she got a week off without pay for that and a couple of other peccadilloes.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
15-04-2017, 04:46 PM
(15-04-2017 03:13 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 02:31 PM)Rachel Wrote:  He wasn't fired. HR sent him to a class on remedial thinking or some damn thing. He's the colleague whose salary was frozen until mine could catch up. I'm sure there were no hard feelings or anything...

Either he was vastly overpaid, or you were vastly underpaid. Was he aware of this salary situation, and that his lack of raises was tied you? Smart management would simply have gotten aggressive with your pay increases. This reminds me of my situation- I was supervising and reviewing three people's work, one of whom was a higher pay grade, and got crappy reviews. I was assigned to a different manager and went from "needs remediation" under that manager (who was also a shrieking harpy from the 3rd circle of hell), to getting promoted and making 20% more money in one year. Some of the fallout on the old manager is that she got a week off without pay for that and a couple of other peccadilloes.

To make a long story short, it was a bit of both. He was vastly overpaid and I was vastly underpaid. We have the same job title and do exactly the same work. But that gender pay gap disparity raised its ugly head. I didn't know this until I had worked there for a few years and "accidentally" saw the pay scale. So I raised hell, not being one to accept that since I am a woman, it's okay to pay me less than a big, strong man. Considering I was a single mom when I started working there, I decided that I needed justice.

So I filed an EEO complaint against him and the company. The resolution was that he stopped getting raises and bonuses until my pay caught up to his. I'm still 15% less than he is but when this started, I was 45% less. Baby steps. Oh, part of the settlement was that the company paid half of my children's higher education. That felt fair.
15-04-2017, 05:35 PM
(15-04-2017 04:46 PM)Rachel Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 03:13 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Either he was vastly overpaid, or you were vastly underpaid. Was he aware of this salary situation, and that his lack of raises was tied you? Smart management would simply have gotten aggressive with your pay increases. This reminds me of my situation- I was supervising and reviewing three people's work, one of whom was a higher pay grade, and got crappy reviews. I was assigned to a different manager and went from "needs remediation" under that manager (who was also a shrieking harpy from the 3rd circle of hell), to getting promoted and making 20% more money in one year. Some of the fallout on the old manager is that she got a week off without pay for that and a couple of other peccadilloes.

To make a long story short, it was a bit of both. He was vastly overpaid and I was vastly underpaid. We have the same job title and do exactly the same work. But that gender pay gap disparity raised its ugly head. I didn't know this until I had worked there for a few years and "accidentally" saw the pay scale. So I raised hell, not being one to accept that since I am a woman, it's okay to pay me less than a big, strong man. Considering I was a single mom when I started working there, I decided that I needed justice.

So I filed an EEO complaint against him and the company. The resolution was that he stopped getting raises and bonuses until my pay caught up to his. I'm still 15% less than he is but when this started, I was 45% less. Baby steps. Oh, part of the settlement was that the company paid half of my children's higher education. That felt fair.

It's good to see you getting your due. I'm curious why the complaint had to include him? That's just asking for trouble, I would think. Did he supervise at the time?
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post