Amazon Refugee Roll Call

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2017, 06:24 PM
RE: Amazon Refugee Roll Call
(23-02-2017 07:17 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(23-02-2017 01:26 AM)Dorsie Wrote:  One thing I can't find in forum usage sites is an explanation of [COLLAPSED] as it appears to be use in this forum. I would be very grateful for a short summary of how to use it. Thanks in advance for any help. Big Grin

Edit to add: I think I found the answer to my question about collapsing, but I will test it in my own introduction thread to avoid further OT material here. Shy

No need to be shy. This is a forum for atheists -- we encourage questioning.

[collapsed] is automatic when you quote a long post so you don't have to do anything to use it. If a reader clicks on the [collapsed] section it will be expanded.

Thank you kindly for that info. I bet you never thought you'd be teaching remedial BBcode, huh? I found some really good instructive web sites late last night, so it's back to school I go, hi ho. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2017, 06:33 PM
(23-02-2017 07:21 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-02-2017 01:26 AM)Dorsie Wrote:  I am definitely a citizen of the global atheist nation, so I shouldn't require a green card.

I'm gonna need a swab from your cheek.

Oh my, don't tease me. Yes
23-02-2017, 06:54 PM
(23-02-2017 06:24 PM)Dorsie Wrote:  
(23-02-2017 07:17 AM)unfogged Wrote:  No need to be shy. This is a forum for atheists -- we encourage questioning.

[collapsed] is automatic when you quote a long post so you don't have to do anything to use it. If a reader clicks on the [collapsed] section it will be expanded.

Thank you kindly for that info. I bet you never thought you'd be teaching remedial BBcode, huh? I found some really good instructive web sites late last night, so it's back to school I go, hi ho. Smile

When you post something there's a whole bunch of options above the text window that let you format it, add links, add videos, etc so you shouldn't have to enter the coding manually except for adding quote and /quote tags if you are fisking. If you don't see them check under 'User CP', 'Edit Options' to be sure you have them turned on.

caveat: I don't use the mobile interface so that may act differently

For all the Amazon refugees and other noobs here the 'View new posts' and 'view todays posts' options are easy ways to see what what's going in.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
23-02-2017, 06:58 PM
(23-02-2017 06:24 PM)Dorsie Wrote:  
(23-02-2017 07:17 AM)unfogged Wrote:  No need to be shy. This is a forum for atheists -- we encourage questioning.

If you want something similar use spoiler tags

Like this

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
23-02-2017, 07:14 PM
(23-02-2017 06:54 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(23-02-2017 06:24 PM)Dorsie Wrote:  Thank you kindly for that info. I bet you never thought you'd be teaching remedial BBcode, huh? I found some really good instructive web sites late last night, so it's back to school I go, hi ho. Smile

When you post something there's a whole bunch of options above the text window that let you format it, add links, add videos, etc so you shouldn't have to enter the coding manually except for adding quote and /quote tags if you are fisking. If you don't see them check under 'User CP', 'Edit Options' to be sure you have them turned on.

For all the Amazon refugees and other noobs here the 'View new posts' and 'view todays posts' options are easy ways to see what what's going in.

Thanks for the help. Smile It took a day or so to figure out how to force the full site on an iPad, but I found the option in User CP. I see all the formatting commands, too, and just need some time to try them out.

Today I discovered the green arrow to the left of threads listed with View New Posts.

Ammy refugees: This arrow shows you only the new posts since you last visited the thread. Yay. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Dorsie's post
23-02-2017, 07:22 PM
(23-02-2017 06:58 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(23-02-2017 06:24 PM)Dorsie Wrote:  Thank you kindly for that info. I bet you never thought you'd be teaching remedial BBcode, huh? I found some really good instructive web sites late last night, so it's back to school I go, hi ho. Smile

If you want something similar use spoiler tags

Like this

That's a good use for the spoiler tag. Jennybee taught me how to do a spoiler when I joined The Walking Dead discussion on Sunday. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Dorsie's post
23-02-2017, 07:50 PM
(23-02-2017 07:14 PM)Dorsie Wrote:  
(23-02-2017 06:54 PM)unfogged Wrote:  When you post something there's a whole bunch of options above the text window that let you format it, add links, add videos, etc so you shouldn't have to enter the coding manually except for adding quote and /quote tags if you are fisking. If you don't see them check under 'User CP', 'Edit Options' to be sure you have them turned on.

Thanks for the help. Smile It took a day or so to figure out how to force the full site on an iPad, but I found the option in User CP. I see all the formatting commands, too, and just need some time to try them out.

Today I discovered the green arrow to the left of threads listed with View New Posts.

Ammy refugees: This arrow shows you only the new posts since you last visited the thread. Yay. Smile

Also, if you right click and open in a new tab, when you are done with that thread, you can close it and you'll be back on the main page. I do that as I march through the new posts.
[+] 4 users Like Fireball's post
23-02-2017, 08:01 PM
(23-02-2017 01:43 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Amazon has forums?

It did. Whether it will from this point forward remains to be seen.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
23-02-2017, 08:03 PM
(23-02-2017 03:05 PM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote:  Hello Aliza and others

I am another just joined Amazon emigre. This place seems an improvement.

Hello Ms. Darkbloom. Nice to see you here. Smile

--
Dr H

23-02-2017, 08:16 PM
Well boys and girls, these seems as good a place as any to post this. I put it up at Amazon, but I'm not sure how many are left there, and MamaZ may take it down before anyone gets to see it, anyway.

I asked Amazon what was going on, and they replied. Sort of.

My original query:

---- Original Message: -------------------
02/22/17 12:14:05
Your Name: Dr H
Comments: Dear Amazon,

May I respectfully inquire: What the hell are you doing to the Amazon discussion forums?

In the last few days so many posts (and posters!) have been "deleted by Amazon" that it has
become impossible to follow many discussions that have been going on for weeks, or in some cases, months.

I notice that a number of forum trolls are gone, and for that, I thank you.

But I also notice that a lot of respected, contributing, long-time posters are gone, pulling the heart and
soul out of many of the discussions.

Please stop! There is such a thing as "too much", and you've already passed that point.

If this continues, I'm going to have to move on to other non-Amazon forums, as a number of other respected
posters have already done. Sadly, this will be Amazon's loss, because I will no longer have the Amazon
page open on my desktop all day, every day, and will doubtless be making far fewer "impulse
purchases" than has been my custom.

I like Amazon, a lot. If you view my account history you will see that I am a frequent customer, and have
spent thousands of dollars here. But this savaging of the discussions is making Amazon a very
uncomfortable place for me; I sincerely hope that changes, and soon, or I will move on.

Thank you for listening.
--
Dr H
---------------

And their reply:

---------------
Subject: A message from Communities
To: Dr H
From: Amazon.com Customer Service <community-help@amazon.com>
Reply-To: community-help+A348FGPUQGOGGU@amazon.com

Hello,

I hope this email finds you well. This is Kristen from the Communities team.

​​I'm sorry for any inconvenience this situation may have caused you.​​

I appreciate that you took the time to provide us with feedback regarding our moderation process. We welcome the diverse opinions of our customers because we believe the differing opinions lead to constructive and interesting discussions about our products and services.

Due to the sheer volume of posts that we receive daily, we aren't always able to catch everything right away. We rely on our Community to help notify us of any inappropriate or abusive comments by using the "report abuse" feature. This will help us know where to focus our efforts.

Furthermore, thanks for taking the time to send us your comments on changing how we allow discussion.

We're continually working to improve the shopping experience and ensure we present useful information to customers. I have passed your message along to the team involved with future development of our Communities features. I know they will want to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

If you want to find out more about this or other Amazon.com features, please visit our Amazon.com Site Features Help pages:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/d...d=16465201

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
Kristen L.
................................................................................​........

Thank you for your inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey?p=A...mdyes_pt_1

If no, please click here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey?p=A...hmdno_pt_1

................................................................................​.........

Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.

Thank you.
Amazon.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make of that what you will.

--
Dr H

[+] 6 users Like Dr H's post