Amazon Refugee Roll Call

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2017, 08:06 PM
RE: Amazon Refugee Roll Call
(24-02-2017 08:05 PM)Mary L. Mand Wrote:  
(24-02-2017 10:31 AM)Bubba Wrote:  I am also Bubba on the Amazon forums and am a refugee from there,

I am an atheist with an apatheist leaning, which essentially means that I believe that the existence of god(s) is irrelevant.

Good to see you, Bubba.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2017, 08:31 PM
(24-02-2017 06:25 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(24-02-2017 10:31 AM)Bubba Wrote:  I am also Bubba on the Amazon forums and am a refugee from there,

I am an atheist with an apatheist leaning, which essentially means that I believe that the existence of god(s) is irrelevant.

That's fucking stupid.

Being facetious or do you seriously have an issue? I identify as an apatheist as well an agnostic. I also accept the descriptor "atheist" though I prefer non-theist, just to make it clear to those who define "atheist" as holding a positive belief that gods do not exist. I'd have to give way more fucks than I do to bother with that nonsense.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post
25-02-2017, 07:29 PM
Whateverist: "Being facetious or do you seriously have an issue? I identify as an apatheist as well an agnostic. I also accept the descriptor "atheist" though I prefer non-theist, just to make it clear to those who define "atheist" as holding a positive belief that gods do not exist. I'd have to give way more fucks than I do to bother with that nonsense."

> I have no problem with that.
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
25-02-2017, 08:11 PM
(24-02-2017 12:03 PM)Aliza Wrote:  ...
and life won't change based on what you think.
(24-02-2017 01:48 PM)Aliza Wrote:  ...
Naaah, I'm a bonafide theist. I don't think G-d is indifferent, I just think that our believing in him isn't necessary and isn't going to change the way we live our lives.

This implies that you believe in an in-theory god rather than an in-practice god.

It also indicates not just determinism but fatalism.

Life does change based on what we think/believe.

Imagine what life would be like if we believed that technology had spirit ... the lift (elevator) at work might suddenly eat us when we step into it.

Predictability of our surroundings (including other people) is what makes life manageable. It makes the billions of details that surround us 'low-resolution' so we can focus and prioritise.

Every step we take along our predicted path that aligns with that prediction satisfies and/or rewards us. Mmmm, dopamine.
Any unpredicted obstacle or constraint upsets us and makes us change course.

Anyone who has been betrayed by a lover or business partner will get that. A baseline of irrelevance has been ripped away. A whole set of ignored details need to be re-evaluated and analysed and a whole set of potential futures disappear and a new set of potential, previous unconsidered, futures invade your waking nightmares.

What we thought, we no longer think / believe. Chaos has replaced order.

So either the god does not intervene or does not exist. Believing in an interventionist god would change our lives as it would add fundamental unpredictability and our limbic system would be in permanent state of high-alert.

That's called neurosis.

But at least we'd have someone or something to blame when shit goes astray.

Weeping

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
25-02-2017, 08:17 PM
I'm curious. All you Amazon forum folks, do you have any idea why the moderators and the powers that be have become so intolerant? Would it have anything to do with the current political climate? Just wondering.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
25-02-2017, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2017 08:58 PM by adey67.)
I took a look at this website/forum and I'm not surprised everyone is leaving it, what a pile of excrement...... nasty just nasty, not a patch on TTA.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
25-02-2017, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2017 09:04 PM by cactus.)
I just checked out the Amazon forum.

It sounds like the mod team over there has to moderate a whole bunch of different subforums, and these Amazon employees are expected to respond in vague PR-speak to the forum members. Is that correct?
My initial reaction: It made me cringe, big time.

From what little I've seen so far, it sounds to me like the main problem with that forum is that it's basically like Reddit, but with more censorship, a wider gap between the mod team and forum users, more corporate bureaucracy, and a userbase that's surely comprised of a substantially larger proportion of people who just initially joined out of an extremely mild curiosity or even outright boredom. And let's not even mention that shitty UI and forum navigation controls. I don't think I could stand more than about 5 minutes hanging out in that place.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 5 users Like cactus's post
25-02-2017, 09:35 PM
How do you even browse through all the subforums? Are they unlisted unless you can find the url through a Google search? Huh

[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
25-02-2017, 09:43 PM
(25-02-2017 09:35 PM)cactus Wrote:  How do you even browse through all the subforums? Are they unlisted unless you can find the url through a Google search? Huh

They used to have a site that displayed them by usage, but they deleted that last year, along with the customer product tags from which the forums sprang. Originally, Ammy thought they could get customers to create discussions about products and self limit the discussions to products for sale. Big Grin

There literally hundreds, maybe thousands of long unused forums with a single unanswered post in them.
[+] 2 users Like Dorsie's post
25-02-2017, 09:46 PM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2017 10:05 PM by cactus.)
(25-02-2017 09:43 PM)Dorsie Wrote:  self limit the discussions to products for sale
lmao Laugh out load

No wonder they're trying to kill it off. I couldn't even find a way to navigate to the Customer Discussions from the main site.
Yep, that forum is definitely on death row. It's already been deprecated by the product Q&A feature. In fact, I've probably seen more meaningful discussions taking place on the Three Wolf Moon T-Shirt page. Consider

[+] 2 users Like cactus's post