Amazonians swim with piranha

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2017, 02:30 PM
Wink Amazonians swim with piranha
Yo, this is a shout-out to my fellow refugees from the Amazon fora.

A while back someone suggested that we have a place to touch base, and it doesn't seem appropriate to keep going back to the Introductions section to do that. So . . . "Casual Coffeehouse" seemed like a good place to start a thread where Amazonian expatriates could come back now and then and keep in touch with their roots.

Assuming, of course, that anyone wants to. Big Grin

I bring news of the lost homeland.

After years of false alarms, it seems that this time we were not mistaken in our assumption that Amazon is extricating itself from said fora. Since the migration, yet another fundamental feature of the forum has been disabled. It is no longer possible to determine which post is being responded to, unless the responder happens to directly quote the post.

I suspect that either the ability to track threads, or the ability to initiate new threads will be the next to go.

Why Amazon has chosen to enact this protracted death-by-a-thousand-cuts, rather than simply turn off the fora, is anybody's guess; they always have moved in mysterious ways. Regardless, the fora do give every sign of being s-l-o-w-l-y phased out, so I'd say we moved out at the right time.

I, for one, have been enjoying my stay in TTA, and would like to thank the community here for making room for us. Cool

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Dr H's post
21-06-2017, 02:53 PM
RE: Amazonians swim with piranha
You are all quite welcome here, as far as I am concerned. You're a pretty good bunch. Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
22-06-2017, 06:33 AM
(21-06-2017 02:30 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Yo, this is a shout-out to my fellow refugees from the Amazon fora.

A while back someone suggested that we have a place to touch base, and it doesn't seem appropriate to keep going back to the Introductions section to do that. So . . . "Casual Coffeehouse" seemed like a good place to start a thread where Amazonian expatriates could come back now and then and keep in touch with their roots.

Assuming, of course, that anyone wants to. Big Grin

I bring news of the lost homeland.

After years of false alarms, it seems that this time we were not mistaken in our assumption that Amazon is extricating itself from said fora. Since the migration, yet another fundamental feature of the forum has been disabled. It is no longer possible to determine which post is being responded to, unless the responder happens to directly quote the post.

I suspect that either the ability to track threads, or the ability to initiate new threads will be the next to go.

Why Amazon has chosen to enact this protracted death-by-a-thousand-cuts, rather than simply turn off the fora, is anybody's guess; they always have moved in mysterious ways. Regardless, the fora do give every sign of being s-l-o-w-l-y phased out, so I'd say we moved out at the right time.

I, for one, have been enjoying my stay in TTA, and would like to thank the community here for making room for us. Cool

> Maybe they think they're cleverly avoiding offending shoppers who are spending money on the website. Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
22-06-2017, 08:52 AM (This post was last modified: 22-06-2017 09:03 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(21-06-2017 02:30 PM)Dr H Wrote:  I bring news of the lost homeland.

Since Amazon never properly monitored the discussions, I was uncomfortable for most of the ten years I posted there. The trolls abused people for years at a time. I left from time to time when they wore me down and came back when I decided to fight on.

I can't foresee that ever being a problem in this forum.

Thumbsup
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
22-06-2017, 01:37 PM
(22-06-2017 06:33 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > Maybe they think they're cleverly avoiding offending shoppers who are spending money on the website. Consider

Or those of us who used to spend money there, at any rate.

I looked back at my Amazon usage during a one-year period in which I connected to the Amazon fora at least a few times per week.
In that year I placed 52 Amazon orders, a neat one-order-per-week average.

Since the migration back in February, I have placed exactly one.

Out of sight; out of mind.
For their sake, Mamazon better hope I'm an anomaly.

--
Dr H

[+] 4 users Like Dr H's post
22-06-2017, 02:00 PM
(22-06-2017 01:37 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Out of sight; out of mind.
For their sake, Mamazon better hope I'm an anomaly.

Not really. I have found that I can get most bulk items I need from Jet.com with free 2-day shipping, and they are usually cheaper than Amazon. When things come from a 3rd party supplier, the prices are identical, but I can get a discount from Jet for grouping the order and foregoing free returns. Amazon has better information and more reviews, so I check back there occasionally, but I am buying less. But since Amazon just started collecting taxes on orders in my state, I'm sure they will attribute slowing sales to that. Ironically, I actually like that they collect taxes, because that's one less stack of paperwork I have to keep for tax prep. Of course, for those folks who refuse to deal with either Amazon or Walmart (Jet belongs to the WallyWorld universe) that might be Tweedledee to Tweedledum.

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
[+] 2 users Like Rockblossom's post
22-06-2017, 04:42 PM
(22-06-2017 02:00 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  Not really. I have found that I can get most bulk items I need from Jet.com with free 2-day shipping, and they are usually cheaper than Amazon. When things come from a 3rd party supplier, the prices are identical, but I can get a discount from Jet for grouping the order and foregoing free returns. Amazon has better information and more reviews, so I check back there occasionally, but I am buying less. But since Amazon just started collecting taxes on orders in my state, I'm sure they will attribute slowing sales to that. Ironically, I actually like that they collect taxes, because that's one less stack of paperwork I have to keep for tax prep. Of course, for those folks who refuse to deal with either Amazon or Walmart (Jet belongs to the WallyWorld universe) that might be Tweedledee to Tweedledum.

Jet.com, hmm... Consider

How does their customer service stack up against "the most customer centric company in the world"? Wink

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
22-06-2017, 04:58 PM
Amazon moves in mysterious ways ... which is no way to run a retail company. Use them for "shopping" and buy elsewhere.

One day, we'll get together on someone's porch, in rocking chairs, and recall the time of the "Great Migration." Followed by an afternoon of shooting arrows at apples on the heads of the trolls. Losers will be forced to eat the apple they managed to hit.
[+] 5 users Like Mary L. Mand's post
22-06-2017, 05:24 PM
So Amazon will be sleeping with the fishes, too? Evil_monster

Fuck em. You guys have found your new home. Shy

And you could always buy TTA apparel Angel

[+] 4 users Like TheGulegon's post
22-06-2017, 05:50 PM
Mmmmh fresh exotic meat from the Amazonas!
Oh wait....

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post