Amber teething necklaces

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2013, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2013 09:45 PM by ridethespiral.)
Amber teething necklaces
[Image: honey-amber-teething-necklace.jpg]

Lady Spiral bought one of these for our daughter and while it is indeed a stylish accessory I also think it's total BS. The worst part is that it is becoming all the rage now among the hippy moms. I'm out in the store with my daughter and people are asking me about this thing and if it works and what they heard and I get to tell them that I think Lady RTS has gone bonkers. I've seen at least 4 or 5 kids with these and they cost $20 or more.

If you are not up to speed on the amber teething necklace craze...The babys don't chew on them and instead apparently the amber releases special oils (succinic acid) that are supposed to be a natural analgesic, how solid amber actually gets enough of this into you to have an effect??! I dunno...

I've had mom's claim in person that it assists the thyroid and calms the nervous system to sooth teething pains and some other wacky **** like that...Some of the stuff even sounds like chakra/aura style BS...All this seems to be originating from the stores themselves and is getting passed on in mommy blogs/boards...it's not like anything scientific is going on, on either side here, even the skeptics are just mom bloggers.

Here is the typical sales pitch:
http://www.amberartisans.com/amtene4.html

Here's a skeptical mom's take*:
http://alphamom.com/parenting/baby/amber...l-or-hype/
*we don't let her sleep with it that is super dumb and I don't see it as a real danger during the day.

I want to pronounce amber teething necklaces official RTS and TTS approved psuedo-science powered BS unless anyone can make a case against the ruling...

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2013, 09:49 PM
RE: Amber teething necklaces
Wait, so just wearing them is supposed to help teething? lol.

Also, even if they don't chew, I'd think that would be a choking hazard (esp for people who'd put it on the kid 24/7, unattended at night, etc).
28-07-2013, 06:05 AM
Notice how they say it's not recommended for kids under 36 months Dodgy

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
28-07-2013, 07:27 AM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2013 03:49 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Well, obviously, it's complete bullshit. Even *if* it were to release an infinitesimal amount of Succinic Acid, it would/could have no affect. Follow the links. If you've ever had the unfortunate requirement (in a Biology course) of having to memorize the Citric Acid Cycle, (better known as the "Krebs" fucking "Cycle" Tongue ) you know that Succinic Acid is used in one of the steps of the Krebs Cycle, which makes usable energy, and converts adenosine diphosphate ADP to ATP, (tri-phosphate), which cells can use. This happens in mitochondria, and has NOTHING to do with any system which releases any pain control mechanism. It's ENERGY production. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid_cycle

Amber is cool, as many of the little droplets/beads have insect inclusions which are literally millions of years old, but if they were soluble to any extent at all, they would not even be around any longer. Maybe they are devil-beads for teaching kids about Evolution ? There ya go. A legitimate use for them. Evolution jewelry.
http://epod.usra.edu/blog/2012/03/amber-...sions.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-07-2013, 08:03 AM
Wow, Bucky... way to ruin shit. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
29-07-2013, 08:45 PM
(28-07-2013 08:03 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Wow, Bucky... way to ruin shit. Dodgy

He didn't ruin anything. He just explained why it was ruined in the first place.
29-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Ohhhh a friend of mine got one for her baby! $20 bucks?!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

29-07-2013, 08:55 PM
(29-07-2013 08:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Ohhhh a friend of mine got one for her baby! $20 bucks?!

> $20

...man I need a good scam. If anyone has any ideas I'll build the website Consider

[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
29-07-2013, 08:59 PM
(29-07-2013 08:55 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 08:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Ohhhh a friend of mine got one for her baby! $20 bucks?!

> $20

...man I need a good scam. If anyone has any ideas I'll build the website Consider

It's like I'm always a day late. I totally missed out on the post rapture pet care thing and now this. Weeping

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

29-07-2013, 09:00 PM

Actually that's not bad for a string of beads (ancient solidified tree resin drops) from 20,000,000 years ago. Get out a magnifying glass and look at the ancient insects in the beads. (Remember Jurassic Park ? Amber is where they got their dino DNA. Maybe you can open a park ? )

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche