Ambiguity tollerance vs religion, and Fundamentalsim

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Ambiguity tollerance vs religion, and Fundamentalsim
I'm writing a thingy on this subject.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambiguity_tolerance
I have some resources, and studies.
Was just wondering if anyone has read, or heard of, anything especially compelling on the subject, which they could point me to.
Thanks

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2013, 03:16 AM
RE: Ambiguity tollerance vs religion, and Fundamentalsim
I am sorry to say that I can not help you with anything. But when you are done writing, let us know Smile

I don't think that ambiguity tolerance is a very common thing. For scienists, engineers and any sort of methodologist it's essential, whereas for many other professions it surely is very beneficial. The public should be made more aware of this trait and be trained in it from an early age.

One thing, that I might contribute: Ambiguity tolerance is KILLED during our years at school. Everything just has ONE correct answer. How I hated it at school...

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
27-10-2013, 03:59 AM
RE: Ambiguity tollerance vs religion, and Fundamentalsim
"ambiguity intolerance ... was defined in 1975 as a “tendency to perceive or interpret information marked by vague, incomplete, fragmented, multiple, probable, unstructured, uncertain, inconsistent, contrary, contradictory, or unclear meanings as actual or potential sources of psychological discomfort or threat.”

I have just arrived in Mongolia to help their biggest bank create processes that will improve efficiency, effectiveness, create clarity, identify ambiguity, reduce confusion therefore optimise risk.

I disgree, Youkay, ambiguity tolerance is a very common thing... fortunately... for my bank balance.

Long may it continue.

My approach is akin to critical thinking i.e. I will be encouraging managers to learn to cope with ambiguity rather than eliminate it completely as this leads to sterility.

Or more accurately:
Strategists need to learn to cope with ambiguity;
Designers need to create clarity based on the direction set by the Strategists;
Transition managers (e.g. Project Managers) need to build and test and deploy based on clear designs while identifying and managing risk and:
Operations are not paid to think but to do. They require clarity but also the ability to understand the ambiguities of the crazy world they are managing.
And lastly, Improvers feed back to the start of the cycle by measuring and analysing what the fuck is really going on (in a real world filled with ambiguity).

Or to put it another way, in business as in much of life, ambiguity = risk.
Risk can be seen as an positive opportunity or as a negative threat.

Smartass