America, Fuck Yeah!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2012, 02:37 AM
RE: America, Fuck Yeah!
(26-08-2012 09:14 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(15-08-2012 04:14 PM)Humakt Wrote:  The roman republic, beat you by a couple of thousand years to that claim.

[Image: captain_america_facepalm.jpg]

Separation of church and state.

Also the Athenians where the first to over throw their rulers, leading to direct democracy.

The Romans came later and had the first republic.

The United States broke free not only from Monarchy but Church and state as well.

Did I say the Romans were first? What I said was the Roman republic beat you to that claim by 2000 years. Also the power of religion in the roman repubulic was negligable, even less so in during the period of the emporers. Wereas the constitution is a great piece of polotical writing with many laudible aims its implementation in spirit is far from complete. America is more in the grip of religion than any other first world power, to such an extent its difficult for non americans to really concieve of it without constantly reminding themselves, that the secularism they live in and take for granted is not the norm there.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2012, 11:32 AM

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
27-08-2012, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2012 03:07 PM by fstratzero.)
(27-08-2012 02:37 AM)Humakt Wrote:  
(26-08-2012 09:14 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  [Image: captain_america_facepalm.jpg]

Separation of church and state.

Also the Athenians where the first to over throw their rulers, leading to direct democracy.

The Romans came later and had the first republic.

The United States broke free not only from Monarchy but Church and state as well.

Did I say the Romans were first? What I said was the Roman republic beat you to that claim by 2000 years. Also the power of religion in the roman repubulic was negligable, even less so in during the period of the emporers. Wereas the constitution is a great piece of polotical writing with many laudible aims its implementation in spirit is far from complete. America is more in the grip of religion than any other first world power, to such an extent its difficult for non americans to really concieve of it without constantly reminding themselves, that the secularism they live in and take for granted is not the norm there.

We are working on the religiosity in the States as we speak.

Romans were highly religious, and had no separation of church and state.

Also it should be noted that when you are in a group of people who all believe in the same gods and myths, there tends to be little to no tension.

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
27-08-2012, 08:05 PM

27-08-2012, 08:18 PM

27-08-2012, 08:24 PM

27-08-2012, 08:37 PM
(27-08-2012 08:24 PM)Jeff Wrote:  

I had to stop it at 1:21.

Britain paid back every last dime to the USA for its "help" during WW2. It took a couple of generations, but it happened (in the 90s, from memory). So that propaganda clip got that wrong.
28-08-2012, 02:36 AM
(27-08-2012 08:37 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(27-08-2012 08:24 PM)Jeff Wrote:  

I had to stop it at 1:21.

Britain paid back every last dime to the USA for its "help" during WW2. It took a couple of generations, but it happened (in the 90s, from memory). So that propaganda clip got that wrong.

It was recorded in the '70s.
28-08-2012, 03:21 AM
(27-08-2012 01:25 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(27-08-2012 02:37 AM)Humakt Wrote:  Did I say the Romans were first? What I said was the Roman republic beat you to that claim by 2000 years. Also the power of religion in the roman repubulic was negligable, even less so in during the period of the emporers. Wereas the constitution is a great piece of polotical writing with many laudible aims its implementation in spirit is far from complete. America is more in the grip of religion than any other first world power, to such an extent its difficult for non americans to really concieve of it without constantly reminding themselves, that the secularism they live in and take for granted is not the norm there.

We are working on the religiosity in the States as we speak.

Also it should be noted that when you are in a group of people who all believe in the same gods and myths, there tends to be little to no tension.

If your working on it, its not done is it. Your linky to the wiki takes me to a page is telling me the page doesnt exist, did you mistype, if so repost.

Lastly, the romans were incredibly cosmapolitan about religion. Far from all blieving the same thing. The adoption of local gods was standard, There pragmatic practice, was not to impose their religion on the conquered, but build temples to the local gods and in that respect they differ in no way from their other methods of social control.

Was the roman state, completly devoid of religious artifice, no there were religious bodies that had a cermonial roll, the vestal virgins, Ceaser's first step to power was from a religous position even the arena is the result of a religious practice. But, Ceaser moved up and on into a position with power and the arena became and was more an object of social control than a religious observance.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
28-08-2012, 12:38 PM
(28-08-2012 03:21 AM)Humakt Wrote:  
(27-08-2012 01:25 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  We are working on the religiosity in the States as we speak.

If your working on it, its not done is it. Your linky to the wiki takes me to a page is telling me the page doesnt exist, did you mistype, if so repost.

Lastly, the romans were incredibly cosmapolitan about religion. Far from all blieving the same thing. The adoption of local gods was standard, There pragmatic practice, was not to impose their religion on the conquered, but build temples to the local gods and in that respect they differ in no way from their other methods of social control.

Was the roman state, completly devoid of religious artifice, no there were religious bodies that had a cermonial roll, the vestal virgins, Ceaser's first step to power was from a religous position even the arena is the result of a religious practice. But, Ceaser moved up and on into a position with power and the arena became and was more an object of social control than a religious observance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_ancient_Rome

-Baron d'Holbach-