15-08-2012, 08:55 AM
RE: America, Fuck Yeah!
[Image: patriotism.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2012, 09:00 AM
(15-08-2012 08:55 AM)Jeff Wrote:  [Image: patriotism.jpg]

You're missing the part where the plant in Nation A is told every day of his life that his nation is better than Nation B (I mean God blesses Nation A, not Nation B) and actually believes it to be true. Indoctrination has its uses.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Red Celt's post
15-08-2012, 09:05 AM
[Image: 698.jpg?1253768922]

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
15-08-2012, 09:37 AM
(15-08-2012 09:00 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  You're missing the part where the plant in Nation A is told every day of his life that his nation is better than Nation B (I mean God blesses Nation A, not Nation B) and actually believes it to be true. Indoctrination has its uses.

Yeah, the "god bless" thing is unique to america - that's why it took all of 25 nanoseconds to find this gem

Sing along, everyone!

God bless my Scotland, her people of renown

For grit and will and work and skill in every lowland town

God bless my country, the workers on the Clyde

Whose blood and sweat we won`t forget

And ships they built with pride.

God bless my Scotland, the stories round the fire

Where songs are sung in Scottish tongue to plesure and inspire

God bless my country, the kilts that dance and sway

The bagpipes hum, the beating drum, the flags in full array.

God bless my Scotland no more the pibroch plays

From hill and glen no marching men their songs of battle raise

God bless my country the clans are dead and gone

But still a part of Scotland`s heart, their memory lives on

God bless my Scotland and may the stranger find

Whatever face, whatever race a welcome warm and kind

God bless my country and my her people be

So worthy of this land they love and ever close to Thee
15-08-2012, 09:45 AM
(15-08-2012 09:05 AM)Vosur Wrote:  [Image: 698.jpg?1253768922]

Vosur, your discomfort with Patriotism is likely more due to your nation's past history than it is to the actual feeling of Patriotism. You might find this article insightful http://www.spiegel.de/international/germ...11948.html
15-08-2012, 09:59 AM
(15-08-2012 09:45 AM)Jeff Wrote:  

Vosur, your discomfort with Patriotism is likely more due to your nation's past history than it is to the actual feeling of Patriotism. You might find this article insightful http://www.spiegel.de/international/germ...11948.html

I feel the same way, and I am American.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
15-08-2012, 10:01 AM
(15-08-2012 09:37 AM)Jeff Wrote:  Yeah, the "god bless" thing is unique to america - that's why it took all of 25 nanoseconds to find this gem

Congratulations on finding an eccentric person... and on the internet, of all places.

We don't have it printed on our money.

Crash... and... burn. Cool
15-08-2012, 10:14 AM
(15-08-2012 09:45 AM)Jeff Wrote:  Vosur, your discomfort with Patriotism is likely more due to your nation's past history than it is to the actual feeling of Patriotism. You might find this article insightful http://www.spiegel.de/international/germ...11948.html
Because I was born in Germany, I can't criticize patriotism without being accused of actually feeling guilty for the history of the country I was born in, making my criticism moot? That sounds a lot like the genetic fallacy to me. Are you implying that patriotism has never been used in any other country's past history to justify atrocities?

I'd also like you to answer this question truthfully: Would you have responded the same way if I came from the USA?

Anyway, why would anyone feel guilty for something that happened before he was even born, in other words, something that he had no influence on? Likewise, why would anyone feel proud of something that he had no influence on?

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
15-08-2012, 10:15 AM
The kind of chest-beating patriotism a lot of Americans indulge in always reminds me of a 6-year-old kid telling his school-yard friends, "My daddy is the best daddy in the WHOLE WORLD!" What he's really saying, although he doesn't understand it, is "I love my daddy." That's fine--it is, after all, his father. But there's obviously no objective reality in his statement.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 4 users Like cufflink's post
15-08-2012, 10:17 AM
(15-08-2012 09:45 AM)Jeff Wrote:  

Although Germanys example is a fine example of why patriotism is something you ought to be careful with. The lesson isnt something only the germans need apprieciate.

The descent of Germany, an educated modern country into dark age style lunacy has as much to do with allies and the treaty of versailles as it does with anything home grown. In paticular the lack of will in enforcing the treaty allowed germany to build its military. Issues of anti sematism also was hardly a solely german bug bear.

On the whole patriotism is fine when it deals with an issue of national pride, friendly rivalry and sporting events. However, when it moves into the area of polotics and policy making its time to be somewhat more crituical of the practice.

America has much to be proud of, but also there is much to be ashamed of. In this it differs not at all from any other nation.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
[+] 2 users Like Humakt's post