America, The Story of Us series

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2012, 11:34 PM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2012 11:48 PM by Buddy Christ.)
Anyone watch these? I'm on my second time through them on Netflix and I love them. For people that want to learn about America's history but hate 800 page history books filled with lies, these are great. They are HD and designed like an action movie, with special effects and excitement. It also periodically quotes real journals and highlights men you've probably never heard of, such as the homosexual Prussian military expert who shaped our military at Valley Forge into a manner that still operates today.

It also doesn't make things up to make America look better, like most history books. It talks about the slaves and indian massacres. "America was founded on tobacco."

Gotta love the story of the Donner Pass, aka the Lincoln Highway.

Here's the first 3 of 9 episodes.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2012, 04:25 AM
RE: America, The Story of Us series
Thanks Buddy. I watched the first one and most of the second one.

Looking forward to the rest ... can't wait to find out who wins.

Interesting that the Brits were protecting native Indian rights; I didn't know that. Not that those rights would have meant much had the Brits won, I suspect.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
18-08-2012, 06:46 AM
Yea these are really good.
I know very little of American history so these have been very informative.

It's a little weird to picture New York as an actual battlefield though.
Also pretty ironic that a gay guy pretty much sorted out your army and wrote the book on it.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
18-08-2012, 06:56 AM
(18-08-2012 06:46 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yea these are really good.
I know very little of American history so these have been very informative.

It's a little weird to picture New York as an actual battlefield though.
Also pretty ironic that a gay guy pretty much sorted out your army and wrote the book on it.

I grew up with Kojak et al so I thunked NY is still a battlefield

18-08-2012, 07:45 AM
Watched all three now. Thanks. Very good.

So modern Ameicans have evolved from people with the pioneer spirit and the attitude of: we are doing what we want to do and going where we want to go and fuck anyone and anything that stands in our way.
And the Murican dream = greed.

All is explained.

18-08-2012, 08:09 AM

(18-08-2012 07:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Watched all three now. Thanks. Very good.

So modern Ameicans have evolved from people with the pioneer spirit and the attitude of: we are doing what we want to do and going where we want to go and fuck anyone and anything that stands in our way.

All is explained.

Amen!
Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2012, 08:28 AM
I'm glad to hear a positive review on these. I had dismissed the series as History Channel fluff so I missed it when it was broadcast. I'll have to check it out for myself.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
18-08-2012, 08:34 AM
(17-08-2012 11:34 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  It also doesn't make things up to make America look better, like most history books.

I'm 25 minutes into the 1st episode and I've lost count of the times that your above quote has made me laugh.

It has completely missed out the reason for the taxation. It cost a lot of money (and man-power) to protect the colonies against the French. The Redcoats are described as foreigners (when they would have had the same accents, let alone nationality as those they were overseeing).

This isn't an unbiased portrayal of the early life of the colonies. You might not like reading 800-page history books, but if you spread your sources, you'll reach a greater level of accuracy than this effort.

I'm looking forward to the part where the colonists all vote on whether or not to declare independence. There was a vote, right? I mean... it wouldn't have been an enclave of rich businessmen who had their own reasons for ridding itself of taxation that they couldn't control? Nah, the self-proclaimed world leader in democracy wouldn't have started their country by non-democratic means. That'd be all hypocritical and everything.

Be very clear... I'm all for self-governance and if I'd been alive at the time, I'd have urged for independence for the colonists along with all of the other prominent Brits who were doing so at the time. Until they sided with the French. That wasn't patriotism. That was treachery.

Oh, and the mockumentary repeatedly refers to the English, when this occurred after the Act of Union. Some of them will have been English, but they were British troops. The militiamen are repeatedly referred to as "the patriots".

Yeah. This is a balanced account. Laughat
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Red Celt's post
18-08-2012, 11:04 AM
(18-08-2012 08:34 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(17-08-2012 11:34 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  It also doesn't make things up to make America look better, like most history books.

I'm 25 minutes into the 1st episode and I've lost count of the times that your above quote has made me laugh.

It has completely missed out the reason for the taxation. It cost a lot of money (and man-power) to protect the colonies against the French. The Redcoats are described as foreigners (when they would have had the same accents, let alone nationality as those they were overseeing).

This isn't an unbiased portrayal of the early life of the colonies. You might not like reading 800-page history books, but if you spread your sources, you'll reach a greater level of accuracy than this effort.

I'm looking forward to the part where the colonists all vote on whether or not to declare independence. There was a vote, right? I mean... it wouldn't have been an enclave of rich businessmen who had their own reasons for ridding itself of taxation that they couldn't control? Nah, the self-proclaimed world leader in democracy wouldn't have started their country by non-democratic means. That'd be all hypocritical and everything.

Be very clear... I'm all for self-governance and if I'd been alive at the time, I'd have urged for independence for the colonists along with all of the other prominent Brits who were doing so at the time. Until they sided with the French. That wasn't patriotism. That was treachery.

Oh, and the mockumentary repeatedly refers to the English, when this occurred after the Act of Union. Some of them will have been English, but they were British troops. The militiamen are repeatedly referred to as "the patriots".

Yeah. This is a balanced account. Laughat

These are not suppose to be in depth historical accounts (though historical accuracy is obviously key) but more of a broad overview.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
18-08-2012, 12:23 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2012 03:02 PM by Logica Humano.)
(18-08-2012 07:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Watched all three now. Thanks. Very good.

All is explained.

Greed isn't necessarily a bad thing. Depending on how you act to get what you want, however, is the most threatening thing. We always want something we can't have. It is what makes us human.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post