America and military criticism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2014, 07:07 PM
RE: America and military criticism
(26-12-2014 03:44 PM)gofish! Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 01:46 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  That is what everyone I know who severed in any military has said. When the bullets are flying you are fighting for your buddies in the trench beside you not for any high reason.

Perhaps I should have been more specific. The first two sentences are true. The third is patronising. After all, what use is the "big picture" for a soldier in a firefight?

Cause what do they have to fight for, how many little middle eastern kids they can kill? I can't speak for soldiers, but I will say that your companions are the best thing you got. In fact fighting for you fellow soldiers seems to be the best plan for anyone.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2014, 03:58 AM
(26-12-2014 06:08 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 01:05 PM)gofish! Wrote:  Sorry, but that is plain patronising of all soldiers. Would you say that to a veteran's face?

My father, who fought at Anzio, told that to me. I never forgot it.

Quote:After all, what use is the "big picture" for a soldier in a firefight?

Getting out of the firefight.

No one asks the rank and file for their opinion of the msssion. You want to Support Our Troops? Stop sending them to die for nothing.
Please see my earlier post where I clarify that I was focused on "soldiers not getting the big picture" as patronising.

Unfortunately my oversight in including comments about soldiers fighting for each other (something most people now know as rote, thanks to Tom Hanks and Ridley Scott) seems to have ironically landed me in "schoolboy error" territory, if only for my conceit of thinking everyone knew this.

I see we also violently agree on the importance of not sending our troops into pointless wars.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
27-12-2014, 06:16 AM
The stability of the privileged 1st world, and the intellectualism that is a byproduct of its surplus, is absolutely dependent on foreign resource control.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
27-12-2014, 11:25 PM
80 years later Smedley Butler's words still hold true. The Military Industrial Complex is much much fatter now than it was then. Girly's job is to kick 'em in the nuts every chance I get. I like my job.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post