America has no culture?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2014, 01:58 PM
RE: America has no culture?
Drunkin, I hope I didn't sound antagonizing, I wasn't objecting to your post but rather expanding on it. ^^

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2014, 01:59 PM
(08-11-2014 12:05 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 09:11 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Who doesn't wear blue jeans? And food? How many countries don't have a McDonalds?

Blue Jeans are italian. Blue Jeans, from Fr. bleu de Gênes (blue of Genoa, an italian city).

I don't know what exactly they told you so I can't argue on that lol, but many things that you consider to be from the US (America is the continent), are borrowed from other cultures. Nothing bad with it, but that makes them non-native. This is true for all countries and cultures by the way, not just yours.

The word is from France but the apparel is from the US. Denim is also a French word coming from the town Nimes, France where they grew indigo, the blue die. Levi Strauss, who was Austrian, came to the US and traveled to our West Coast. He came up with blue jeans in San Francisco for people to work in the gold mine camps during the Gold Rush in California. The Denim was a strong fabric because of the weaving process and held up for many years. Levi Strauss also added small rivets to the seams which strengthened the garment even more.

Blue Jeans are one of our countries greatest cultural contributions to the world.

501's Rule!!!

America also came up with quilting blankets. Before the US had any textile mills the Early American wives and mothers had a difficult time buying fabric and the fabric they could buy was expensive. So they kept every scrap of fabric from old dresses or other garments and took to sewing them together to make blankets. They were sewn together by hand, it took months to make one quilt.

Other countries had sewn old fabrics together to make padded doublets or other garments were quilted for comfort but the blanket type quilt with cotton sandwiched between the back and front is American.

[Image: 9623aac37712c970cb8f0e10b3f30603-300x272.png]

This is an Amish quilt and funnily enough, they use the brightest fabrics or fabrics that are of high contrast. I think it makes up for the drab crap they wear all the time.

Here's another one. They're really beautiful and still hand made.

[Image: Front2.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
08-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Please read the whole thread, you're answering to a very early message.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
08-11-2014, 02:17 PM
And the Twinkie. We came up with the fucking Twinkie, too.

And the Egg McMuffin.

We have culture.....it's just at a low level.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
08-11-2014, 02:41 PM
(08-11-2014 01:21 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  You can see an example of this in languages. We use a loanword from English to say "skyscraper", it's a calque. But many people don't even know it. Algebra comes from Arabic, for example.

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." -- James Nicoll

We now return you tor your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
08-11-2014, 02:48 PM
(08-11-2014 12:49 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Only totally isolated cultures don't borrow. When you have contacts, you have cultures taking from each other. It's unavoidable, but like I said, it's not a bad thing.

Jazz is an American creation, yes it borrows the beats from Africa, and from what I understand, some rhythms from Irish and folk music too. But if you traveled to Africa 400 years ago you wouldn't hear Jazz. You'd hear native African music.

Tap dancing is similar to Jazz in that it was reformulated in the USA until it took on a life of it's own and became American. Yes, it took some of the steps from Irish dancing and folk dancing and even some African movements but if you went to Ireland 400 years ago you wouldn't recognize the dancing as modern tap dancing.

Every country borrows from other cultures and changes what they borrow to fit into their life and it becomes intertwined with it's people.

The tomato is from South America but the Italians have incorporated it into their culture and now many people can't separate the tomato from Italian culture.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
08-11-2014, 03:19 PM
(08-11-2014 09:11 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I was told today that the U.S. Has no culture and at first glance many might agree. But what is a culture if not the foods people eat,the clothes they wear, the stories they tell each other and the music they listen too?
I would argue that not only do America have a culture but they have probably the most influential culture in the world!
Almost everyone watches Hollywood movies (for better or for worse). American music is everywhere. American brands and styles have infiltrated the world. Who doesn't wear blue jeans? And food? How many countries don't have a McDonalds?
Some of the hoity-toity folks may not appreciate or recognize American culture and may even hate it but to deny its existance is frankly idiotic!
So the next time (if you're not American) you're scarfing down a Big Mac in your blue jeans while listening to the latest pop star with the walking dead on mute ask yourself if this is your culture.

Only thing I disagree with is that america is the most influential culture. We are not influential because we just are, america is just a big bully. Kids don't do what the bully does because they think its cool, they do it so they don't get there asses kicked.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
08-11-2014, 03:37 PM
(08-11-2014 09:11 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I was told today that the U.S. Has no culture and at first glance many might agree. But what is a culture if not the foods people eat,the clothes they wear, the stories they tell each other and the music they listen too?
I would argue that not only do America have a culture but they have probably the most influential culture in the world!
Almost everyone watches Hollywood movies (for better or for worse). American music is everywhere. American brands and styles have infiltrated the world. Who doesn't wear blue jeans? And food? How many countries don't have a McDonalds?
Some of the hoity-toity folks may not appreciate or recognize American culture and may even hate it but to deny its existence is frankly idiotic!
So the next time (if you're not American) you're scarfing down a Big Mac in your blue jeans while listening to the latest pop star with the walking dead on mute ask yourself if this is your culture.

"Culture" is not just Classical / Hoity Toity music, and Old Master galleries, (and yes we have a HUGE number of those), and in many ways American artists and sculptors and composers could be said to have led Post WW I art and maybe even music, ... well yes they did. Tongue . Dick fights about who had a bigger one are for children. Hollywood movies (the books that generated them), and TV could easily be seen to be the major driver of shared culture in 2014. Whoever told you that is an ignoramus.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Yeah....our culture is...um... well it just is.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
08-11-2014, 06:01 PM
(08-11-2014 03:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
Some of the hoity-toity folks may not appreciate or recognize American culture and may even hate it but to deny its existence is frankly idiotic!

"Culture" is not just Classical / Hoity Toity music, and Old Master galleries, (and yes we have a HUGE number of those), and in many ways American artists and sculptors and composers could be said to have led Post WW I art and maybe even music, ... well yes they did. Tongue . Dick fights about who had a bigger one are for children. Hollywood movies (the books that generated them), and TV could easily be seen to be the major driver of shared culture in 2014. Whoever told you that is an ignoramus.

Yeah, I have this argument with people who only think of culture as being Mozart and Michelangelo but I think American culture is just as wonderful if not more so. We are the most creative people on Earth. We have such amazing artists who think outside the box (I hate that overused phrase now, but it's apt) and our artists tend to mix up genres to invent new things. We should be proud of ourselves and our creativity.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post