America has no culture?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2014, 06:11 PM
RE: America has no culture?
Edit: This is apparently wrong as DancesForTwo said something different on the second page. I'm kinda dumb.
(08-11-2014 01:13 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 12:05 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Blue Jeans are italian. Blue Jeans, from Fr. bleu de Gênes (blue of Genoa, an italian city).

I don't know what exactly they told you so I can't argue on that lol, but many things that you consider to be from the US (America is the continent), are borrowed from other cultures. Nothing bad with it, but that makes them non-native. This is true for all countries and cultures by the way, not just yours.

Actually denim (fabric)was invented in France.

By your account nothing is original to anyone.

Except maybe Jazz music which originated in the USA By American musicians and was completely new.
Jazz is Swing mixed with The Blues. The Blues was adapted from slave working songs that were adapted from prayers. Swing in it's natal form was upbeat dance music.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2014, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2014 07:03 PM by Nurse.)
(08-11-2014 01:59 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 12:05 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Blue Jeans are italian. Blue Jeans, from Fr. bleu de Gênes (blue of Genoa, an italian city).

I don't know what exactly they told you so I can't argue on that lol, but many things that you consider to be from the US (America is the continent), are borrowed from other cultures. Nothing bad with it, but that makes them non-native. This is true for all countries and cultures by the way, not just yours.

The word is from France but the apparel is from the US. Denim is also a French word coming from the town Nimes, France where they grew indigo, the blue die. Levi Strauss, who was Austrian, came to the US and traveled to our West Coast. He came up with blue jeans in San Francisco for people to work in the gold mine camps during the Gold Rush in California. The Denim was a strong fabric because of the weaving process and held up for many years. Levi Strauss also added small rivets to the seams which strengthened the garment even more.

Blue Jeans are one of our countries greatest cultural contributions to the world.

501's Rule!!!

America also came up with quilting blankets. Before the US had any textile mills the Early American wives and mothers had a difficult time buying fabric and the fabric they could buy was expensive. So they kept every scrap of fabric from old dresses or other garments and took to sewing them together to make blankets. They were sewn together by hand, it took months to make one quilt.

Other countries had sewn old fabrics together to make padded doublets or other garments were quilted for comfort but the blanket type quilt with cotton sandwiched between the back and front is American.

[Image: 9623aac37712c970cb8f0e10b3f30603-300x272.png]

This is an Amish quilt and funnily enough, they use the brightest fabrics or fabrics that are of high contrast. I think it makes up for the drab crap they wear all the time.

Here's another one. They're really beautiful and still hand made.

[Image: Front2.jpg]

I'm cuddled up under a quilt made by my great-great grandmother from 1960s/70s dress scraps turned into butterflies. I think her vision was going when she picked out the colors for this one. As most of my ancestors were dirt poor, quilts are the main heirlooms in my family. We cuddle with the ugly ones. The more artistic ones and really old ones are kept in cedar chests.

The Fiddlers' Convention in my hometown each fall is enjoyable, even if it's a dry event. Bluegrass is a lot of fun live.

[Image: fiddlers-convention-ca3aacfee057ff9d_medium.jpg]

Take New Orleans - they took Native American, African, Italian, Irish, and French cultures and their food and made Creole and Cajun cuisine. Yum. I don't think you can visit NOLA and feel like you're in Europe, even in the French Quarter with its Spanish architecture.

Now I'm tempted to post pics of my birthday with a crawfish boil where we rigged a giant cast iron pot over a bonfire, made s'mores, drank local craft beer from growlers, my dad and brother played the banjo, and we camped out. It was a lot of fun. Totally redneck, but a lot of fun.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
08-11-2014, 07:22 PM
(08-11-2014 01:10 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 12:47 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  The fabric may be Italian but the pants was invented in America by Jacob Davis a Russian and Levi Strauss a German.
I'm Canadian by the way...

Apparently they registered the patents after having added pockets, but they were already in use as clothes.

I don't think you are even close - the term 'jeans' may derive from 'Genoa', but blue jeans are quintessentially American. The fabric is denim (from the French serge de Nîmes), the garment was created by Jacob Davis and Levi Strauss in 1873.

"In 1872, Davis wrote to Strauss asking to partner with him to patent and sell clothing reinforced with rivet. The copper rivets were to reinforce the points of stress, such as pocket corners and at the bottom of the button fly. Levi accepted Davis's offer, and the two men received US patent No. 139,121 for an "Improvement in Fastening Pocket-Openings" on 20 May 1873."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2014, 07:26 PM
(08-11-2014 07:00 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 01:59 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  The word is from France but the apparel is from the US. Denim is also a French word coming from the town Nimes, France where they grew indigo, the blue die. Levi Strauss, who was Austrian, came to the US and traveled to our West Coast. He came up with blue jeans in San Francisco for people to work in the gold mine camps during the Gold Rush in California. The Denim was a strong fabric because of the weaving process and held up for many years. Levi Strauss also added small rivets to the seams which strengthened the garment even more.

Blue Jeans are one of our countries greatest cultural contributions to the world.

501's Rule!!!

America also came up with quilting blankets. Before the US had any textile mills the Early American wives and mothers had a difficult time buying fabric and the fabric they could buy was expensive. So they kept every scrap of fabric from old dresses or other garments and took to sewing them together to make blankets. They were sewn together by hand, it took months to make one quilt.

Other countries had sewn old fabrics together to make padded doublets or other garments were quilted for comfort but the blanket type quilt with cotton sandwiched between the back and front is American.

This is an Amish quilt and funnily enough, they use the brightest fabrics or fabrics that are of high contrast. I think it makes up for the drab crap they wear all the time.

I'm cuddled up under a quilt made by my great-great grandmother from 1960s/70s dress scraps turned into butterflies. I think her vision was going when she picked out the colors for this one. As most of my ancestors were dirt poor, quilts are the main heirlooms in my family. We cuddle with the ugly ones. The more artistic ones and really old ones are kept in cedar chests.

The Fiddlers' Convention in my hometown each fall is enjoyable, even if it's a dry event. Bluegrass is a lot of fun live.

Take New Orleans - they took Native American, African, Italian, Irish, and French cultures and their food and made Creole and Cajun cuisine. Yum. I don't think you can visit NOLA and feel like you're in Europe, even in the French Quarter with its Spanish architecture.

Now I'm tempted to post pics of my birthday with a crawfish boil where we rigged a giant cast iron pot over a bonfire, made s'mores, drank local craft beer from growlers, my dad and brother played the banjo, and we camped out. It was a lot of fun. Totally redneck, but a lot of fun.

Aah we have so much in common Big Grin my grandma made my husband I a beautiful quilt as our wedding present. I'm going to cherish it forever.

My dad plays the banjo and guitar. Even if it's not exactly my favorite kind of music, live bluegrass really is such a good time. I miss him being in a band. Used to get to watch them play all the time at local bars, wineries, and breweries. Big Grin

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
08-11-2014, 07:42 PM
(08-11-2014 07:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 01:10 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Apparently they registered the patents after having added pockets, but they were already in use as clothes.

I don't think you are even close - the term 'jeans' may derive from 'Genoa', but blue jeans are quintessentially American. The fabric is denim (from the French serge de Nîmes), the garment was created by Jacob Davis and Levi Strauss in 1873.

"In 1872, Davis wrote to Strauss asking to partner with him to patent and sell clothing reinforced with rivet. The copper rivets were to reinforce the points of stress, such as pocket corners and at the bottom of the button fly. Levi accepted Davis's offer, and the two men received US patent No. 139,121 for an "Improvement in Fastening Pocket-Openings" on 20 May 1873."

Yes, during the Gold Rush the men needed a very strong fabric with super strong seams to work in. My understanding is that people who sold the gold panners all their supplies made much more money that the guys gold panning. Levi Jeans supplied the jeans. Lumberjacks also liked them.

There was a time 25 years ago or so that if you had an old pair of 501 Button Down Jeans you could sell them for a nice profit to buyers in China and other Asian countries. They fell in love with jeans. I guess after the Mao jackets, American jeans were a pretty cool clothing item.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
08-11-2014, 07:53 PM
I love TTA for all the little debates. Jeans. Ha ha.

All I have to do is travel across the border and be around Americans. Thinking about it makes me want to make a trip. Heart American culture. Different than my home. I always want to come back to my home, but I love my friends south of me.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
08-11-2014, 07:53 PM
(08-11-2014 07:00 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 01:59 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  The word is from France but the apparel is from the US. Denim is also a French word coming from the town Nimes, France where they grew indigo, the blue die. Levi Strauss, who was Austrian, came to the US and traveled to our West Coast. He came up with blue jeans in San Francisco for people to work in the gold mine camps during the Gold Rush in California. The Denim was a strong fabric because of the weaving process and held up for many years. Levi Strauss also added small rivets to the seams which strengthened the garment even more.

501's Rule!!!

My husband is from South Carolina and they have something similar to the crawfish boil, it's called Frogmore Stew, though it doesn't have frogs in it. After boiling the crab, potatoes, corn on the cob, lobster and a few other things in a huge pot you'd dump in an old door this sits on saw horses and dump ice on top to cool it off a little. You eat it with your hands on a paper plate. Yum.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
08-11-2014, 08:18 PM
(08-11-2014 07:53 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I love TTA for all the little debates. Jeans. Ha ha.

All I have to do is travel across the border and be around Americans. Thinking about it makes me want to make a trip. Heart American culture. Different than my home. I always want to come back to my home, but I love my friends south of me.

I've been watchin the jean debate and giggling as well Laughat

Our falling out re: lettuce aside, I'm only one state south of the border! Any time you want to come visit, and rock out to some JCSS you let me know Big Grin

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
08-11-2014, 08:42 PM
(08-11-2014 06:11 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  Edit: This is apparently wrong as DancesForTwo said something different on the second page. I'm kinda dumb.
(08-11-2014 01:13 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Actually denim (fabric)was invented in France.

By your account nothing is original to anyone.

Except maybe Jazz music which originated in the USA By American musicians and was completely new.
Jazz is Swing mixed with The Blues. The Blues was adapted from slave working songs that were adapted from prayers. Swing in it's natal form was upbeat dance music.

Swing is an offshoot of jazz mixed with blues. Swing popularized in the 30s and 40s, but Jazz had been around longer and decades before that.

Early jazz wasn't really dance music at all, which is why swing became so popular.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

08-11-2014, 09:13 PM
(08-11-2014 08:18 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 07:53 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I love TTA for all the little debates. Jeans. Ha ha.

I've been watchin the jean debate and giggling as well Laughat

Our falling out re: lettuce aside, I'm only one state south of the border! Any time you want to come visit, and rock out to some JCSS you let me know Big Grin

Ha ha. Meh, more of the spring mix for me. Drooling

I so wish I had the time, I'd do this adventure in a heartbeat. I need a getaway from the everyday. lol.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post