09-11-2014, 08:54 AM
RE: America has no culture?
Even a yoghurt pot has a culture Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
09-11-2014, 09:29 AM
(09-11-2014 08:53 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Die hard is awesome! Gotta love Bruce Willis. Big Grin

[Image: 4697a507a8061a16226bfd011920cec434125b1b...8fdbc1.jpg]

We went out to eat with friends and got toasted right before the last one came out. I apparently shouted this at the waiter.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
09-11-2014, 09:47 AM

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-11-2014, 10:03 AM
(09-11-2014 08:40 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 08:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  You said "But jeans, as clothing, were used by the working class in Italy already by the 16th/17th century. Most likely they didn't look like the jeans we all know, but they were used in clothing."

That a fabric that was vaguely like denim was used in clothing that was vaguely like trousers is a weak argument.

Blue jeans are an American invention.

Vaguely according to whom? If you can't prove what you're claiming, then don't claim it. Strauss and Davis improved an existing garment.

Prove? I have provided stronger evidence than you have. Men wore breeches in 17th century Italy, not trousers. Your argument is silly.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2014, 10:08 AM
(09-11-2014 10:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 08:40 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Vaguely according to whom? If you can't prove what you're claiming, then don't claim it. Strauss and Davis improved an existing garment.

Prove? I have provided stronger evidence than you have. Men wore breeches in 17th century Italy, not trousers. Your argument is silly.

No you've provided your word, that's not evidence. And you keep ignoring my posts. So let's agree to disagree, I think we have treated this topic enough.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
09-11-2014, 10:57 AM
(09-11-2014 08:50 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 03:19 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Only thing I disagree with is that america is the most influential culture. We are not influential because we just are, america is just a big bully. Kids don't do what the bully does because they think its cool, they do it so they don't get there asses kicked.
I doubt America will kick anyone's ass for not watching Die hard or listening to Billie Holliday...

I'm pretty sure that America's influence started rather at times when things were imposed and there was strong propaganda in many places of the world. Cultural influences are mainly driven by political matters (and the bully is not always the US of course).

I like Billie Holliday, but that's probably because I happened to have been born in a "westernized" country that has been an ally of the US. Had the communists won in our civil war, I probably wouldn't even know who she was.

No one thinks Americans are cool. They think the things Americans have are cool, because America is a powerful nation, the land of the free and the brave and all that Tongue

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
09-11-2014, 11:20 AM
(09-11-2014 10:57 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 08:50 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I doubt America will kick anyone's ass for not watching Die hard or listening to Billie Holliday...

I'm pretty sure that America's influence started rather at times when things were imposed and there was strong propaganda in many places of the world. Cultural influences are mainly driven by political matters (and the bully is not always the US of course).

I like Billie Holliday, but that's probably because I happened to have been born in a "westernized" country that has been an ally of the US. Had the communists won in our civil war, I probably wouldn't even know who she was.

No one thinks Americans are cool. They think the things Americans have are cool, because America is a powerful nation, the land of the free and the brave and all that Tongue

Americans abroad have given themselves a pretty poor reputation, but I'm given to understand that Brits in southern europe or Australians in southeast asia are viewed similarly.

American things are still the aspirational baseline for most of the world, but being human we're still going to want the exotic as well, and a baseline by definition can't satisfy that.

From what I understand bootleg culture (records and shit) were massive behind the iron curtain. Heck, it's not like Greece was particularly open to cultural imports under the Colonels.

And one of Billie Holiday's most famous songs was originally Hungarian, so there's that.
Cool

... this is my signature!
09-11-2014, 11:43 AM
What exactly is everyone complaining about? I'm not quite sure if anything is "uniquely American" we are a nation of immigrants from all around the world and they brought their customs or culture here and they were either kept or modified. You'd be hard pressed to find anything uniquely anything, all generations build on the last. Innovation is key.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
09-11-2014, 11:47 AM
(09-11-2014 11:43 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  What exactly is everyone complaining about? I'm not quite sure if anything is "uniquely American" we are a nation of immigrants from all around the world and they brought their customs or culture here and they were either kept or modified. You'd be hard pressed to find anything uniquely anything, all generations build on the last. Innovation is key.

Well, there are things that are uniquely of a certain culture. Like, native american culture is only american.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
09-11-2014, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 12:08 PM by grizzlysnake.)
(09-11-2014 11:47 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 11:43 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  What exactly is everyone complaining about? I'm not quite sure if anything is "uniquely American" we are a nation of immigrants from all around the world and they brought their customs or culture here and they were either kept or modified. You'd be hard pressed to find anything uniquely anything, all generations build on the last. Innovation is key.

Well, there are things that are uniquely of a certain culture. Like, native american culture is only american.
I suppose you could say that, but where did they come from? Did they crossover from the Bering straight or were they always there? We're talking about an incredibly long period of time of human migration.
But yes, I know what you mean, it just gets fuzzy for me of where one culture begins and another ends.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell