America is a giant shopping mall

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2012, 08:13 PM
While not serious enough to go anywhere but a Casual House of Coffee Distribution, I'm still rather serious and disturbed. Every single building and billboard are giant, "Hey, spend your money here!" signs. You drive down the highway looking at every inch of every spot covered in advertisement. The sides of buses try to convince you to pay for longer lasting erections. Every building exists for you to walk into and give the owner money, each boasting giant neon signs out front. Buy my product, eat at my restaurant, hire our lawyers, go see my movie, vacation at my hotels, etc.

Not to mention online ads, tv commercials, and radio breaks. It's a nonstop bombardment of the senses. Sometimes you wanna buy something just to shut everyone up. "Sign up for AT&T? No thank you, I already have Verizon... now go away, I'm not a potential consumer anymore."

Don't enough cash? No problem, go to the nearest "Cash Advance" store and use your paycheck before you've even earned it. Sign up for these credit cards and spend money that you don't even have! When you're all cashed out and credit maxed, we'll turn you over to the collection agencies and start focusing on some other unsuspecting youth. Buy buy buy!

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2012, 08:16 PM
What would you prefer to see in a capitalistic society? Consider

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
24-08-2012, 08:31 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2012 08:49 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: America is a giant shopping mall
(24-08-2012 08:13 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  While not serious enough to go anywhere but a Casual House of Coffee Distribution, I'm still rather serious and disturbed. ... we'll turn you over to the collection agencies and start focusing on some other unsuspecting youth. Buy buy buy!

You can ignore it all. It becomes a habit. Not every place is that way. In France a couple years ago, I was amazed how really different they are. Refriges 1/2 the size of ours, mostly activities, where shopping is not the main sport. No accumulation of junk. Here it's " we need a storage place to put our junk, so we can go to Target, and get some more junk". It's not that way everywhere. In a way, that arises from a position of need, and a projected view of accumulation. The most "needy" aspect of need, is that you might actually misunderstand the marginal value of one more dollar. It's actually zero, ... "0", at a relatively low level of wealth. The falacy is that those with wealth actually have more fulfilling, happy, joyful lives. That's simply false. It arises from "imagining" a fallacious future state, with more toys. Some people never learn that lesson. Some are lucky enough to get it, before they waste all their time on it. Simplicity, as an asthetic, is great. Buck up. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
24-08-2012, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2012 08:45 PM by Buddy Christ.)
Yeah, humans have this need to acquire "more" and "better." The rich want to be richer, the well-off want to be better-off. Or as George Carlin says:

And I expected capitalism to be brought up, but is that really the necessary end to all capitalist societies? The citizen assumes the identity of "consumer" and the country becomes the market? It costs money just to exist. And if you're feeling especially selfless and want to help your fellow man, you don't even leave the house. You just pick up the phone that you paid for, use the service provider you pay monthly, and call a donation line to give them more of your money. The quality of person you are is correlated to how much money you spend. Capitalism.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
24-08-2012, 08:55 PM
(24-08-2012 08:41 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  The quality of person you are is correlated to how much money you spend. Capitalism.

It's probably way to early to say this, but that may be changing, What good is junk, if you're on a starship ? Maybe the young billionaires up in Silicon Valley, who are not interested in accumulation/junk will be the future value system. We're probably still working our way out of the Great Depression, psychologically.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
24-08-2012, 08:55 PM
(24-08-2012 08:41 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Yeah, humans have this need to acquire "more" and "better." The rich want to be richer, the well-off want to be better-off. Or as George Carlin says:

And I expected capitalism to be brought up, but is that really the necessary end to all capitalist societies? The citizen assumes the identity of "consumer" and the country becomes the market? It costs money just to exist. And if you're feeling especially selfless and want to help your fellow man, you don't even leave the house. You just pick up the phone that you paid for, use the service provider you pay monthly, and call a donation line to give them more of your money. The quality of person you are is correlated to how much money you spend. Capitalism.

I'm not an opponent to capitalism. I just don't see what other end it could come to. Consider

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel