America is no longer a Christian country

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2012, 11:05 AM
America is no longer a Christian country
"America is no longer a Christian country. Deal with it and act accordingly. Denial will get you nowhere. After death, however, there is the possibility of resurrection.

What is the definition of a Christian country? Mine is a country that has a majority of citizens who believe in and publicly profess the Nicene or Apostles Creed, as these creeds have come down to us from the Ancient Church – people who at least attempt to live according to the Ten Commandments. "

http://www.thecatholicthing.org/columns/...erica.html
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2012, 11:15 AM
RE: America is no longer a Christian country
(20-08-2012 11:05 AM)Jeff Wrote:  "America is no longer a Christian country. Deal with it and act accordingly. Denial will get you nowhere. After death, however, there is the possibility of resurrection.

What is the definition of a Christian country? Mine is a country that has a majority of citizens who believe in and publicly profess the Nicene or Apostles Creed, as these creeds have come down to us from the Ancient Church – people who at least attempt to live according to the Ten Commandments. "

http://www.thecatholicthing.org/columns/...erica.html

The U.S.A. was historically a country with a majority Christian population,
but it was never a "Christian Nation" in the sense that the right means it.

They don't understand that the Constitution is based on Enlightenment philosophy, not Christianity.
Nor do they understand that the very idea of giving religion any role in the government was anathema to the founders.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
20-08-2012, 11:19 AM
The US was never a Christian nation. It was a nation of Christians.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
20-08-2012, 11:24 AM
(20-08-2012 11:19 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  The US was never a Christian nation. It was a nation of Christians.

As far as you know. Being burnt at the stake was a good motivating factor for atheists and agnostics to keep their beliefs very quiet.
[+] 2 users Like Red Celt's post
20-08-2012, 11:28 AM
(20-08-2012 11:19 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  The US was never a Christian nation. It was a nation of Christians.

Nah, it was and is a nation of individuals.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
20-08-2012, 11:34 AM
The author defined his meaning of Christian nation - "What is the definition of a Christian country? Mine is a country that has a majority of citizens who believe in and publicly profess the Nicene or Apostles Creed, as these creeds have come down to us from the Ancient Church – people who at least attempt to live according to the Ten Commandments. "
20-08-2012, 11:36 AM
(20-08-2012 11:28 AM)kim Wrote:  

Nah, it was and is a nation of individuals.

I was basing my response on the claimed majority.

Edit:
here

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
20-08-2012, 11:43 AM
I have an amusing (to me) notion of a small 17th century U.S. town consisting entirely of atheists... not a single one of which able to admit to such a thing, and none of them knowing that everyone else was also an atheist.

This small town would be fairly close to Salem, MA.

A lesson learned.
20-08-2012, 11:46 AM
America is a nation of idiots and pretentious dipshits who design backgrounds for both mythical and historical figures that best adheres to the what belief system benefits them the most in the end, all in the name of moral authority. The most devout claim outright that the founding fathers were Christian, and claim furthermore that this defines their patriotism, but of course the vast majority can not memorize the national anthem or even proclaim what it means or even profess that the founders were not even Christian, and in fact hated Christianity more than any religion. America is a divided nation between those of reason and those of no reason, and will continue to thrive as such when the no reason enforcers dictate certain people based only on their religious or non-religious philosophy can fairly enter a political office legally, or if people's specific sexual preferences can fairly marry their lovers, even if anti-gay bullying victims deserve protection or even equal employment opportunities and benefits. Yes, when you mathematically add all of this together, considering mostly these circumstances are penned by the hands of Christian office holders, it is simple indeed to pen the country as a "Christian Nation" but that is the only water it holds for such a claim

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
20-08-2012, 11:49 AM
(20-08-2012 11:36 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 11:28 AM)kim Wrote:  Nah, it was and is a nation of individuals.

I was basing my response on the claimed majority.

Not my majority. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein