America's Atheist Neighbour

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2013, 11:41 AM
America's Atheist Neighbour
It's one or the other, and it ain't Mexico.

I was looking at statistics for countries just out of curiosity, and one thing I realized was that I have been underestimating the non-religious and atheist population in my own country.

According to the 2011 national survey:

Religion of Canadians
Christianity (67.3%)
Non-religious (23.9%)
Islam (3.2%)
Hinduism (1.5%)
Sikhism (1.4%)
Buddhism (1.1%)
Judaism (1.0%)
Other religions (0.6%)

Now, I am familiar with about 1-in-4 being non-religious, but that section includes deists and some of the casually religious. However, according to other polls, around 20-23% explicitly stated they do not believe in a god, so over 80% of the non-religious are definitely atheist. Accounting for those who are agnostics according to popular usage of the term, and those who are atheist but do not wish to proclaim it publicly, we're a solid quarter of the population. So, what I thought before was still true. HOWEVER, I learned that our Christians aren't very good Christians. 25-35% of those identifying as Christian don't even believe in God. A quarter to over a third depending on the poll and sect. Christians accounted for 67.3% in 2011, and a third of that is around 22%. From my knowledge, I'd assume disbelief in God among Jews is even higher. The numbers for Hindus are probably pretty high too - I haven't met a single Hindu who believed in a god. Then there's the non-theistic Buddhists, "other religions", and a minority of Sikhs and Muslims.

47.43% at minimum if we count just the non-religious, the atheist Christians, and the Buddhists. Then there's the non-believers from the other religions to account for, and the changes over the last two to six years, when the data was from. My country isn't quite the atheist minority state I thought it was. The change from theist to atheist majority has probably already happened.

The lesson here is according to American polls, half of Canadians are less trustworthy than rapists atheists might be underestimating themselves as a group.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Elesjei's post
13-08-2013, 04:36 PM
RE: America's Atheist Neighbour
Interesting numbers... being from Canada myself I certainly felt that everybody around me was converting to Christianity. Apparently not!
13-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Thumbs Down RE: America's Atheist Neighbour
Then can we get these good little atheists to actually change this garbage? The very first line:
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/Const/page-15.html

And please, cut the vestiges to the Monarchy- totalitarianism, and demigod worship. It's offensive morally and intellectually. Especially to atheists. 'Gods chosen families to rule over lesser men.'

I'm aware of past attempts, but the conclusion was "It's true, therefore drop it."
14-08-2013, 05:29 AM
Actually I'm starting to think that if you don't include any separation of church and state clauses then you avoid a lot of the trouble. Norway and Switzerland have state churches and are some of the most progressive countries in Europe. It gives the religious nothing to fight for.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
14-08-2013, 03:48 PM
(13-08-2013 07:34 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Then can we get these good little atheists to actually change this garbage? The very first line:
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/Const/page-15.html

And please, cut the vestiges to the Monarchy- totalitarianism, and demigod worship. It's offensive morally and intellectually. Especially to atheists. 'Gods chosen families to rule over lesser men.'

I'm aware of past attempts, but the conclusion was "It's true, therefore drop it."

Canada is still technically under the authority of The United Kingdom, which is still technically a theocracy.

So if the monarchy stuff is removed, you'd kill two birds with one stone. Smile