America's Homeless Problem.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2015, 01:53 PM
RE: America's Homeless Problem.
(11-07-2015 12:38 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yet every city has at least a half dozen "animal rescue centers" --- and if you go to Walmart - they have over 200 types of pet food -- but nothing for the homeless guy trying to scrounge out of the dumpster.........................

What's wrong with this picture???

Cute animals are easier to find homes for, can be neutered, and can be legally disposed of if you can't find a permanent place for them.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2015, 02:17 PM
Yak - yeah but check out the article I posted about the "other solutions". We treat our homeless like vermin. In the German circa 1933 sense of the word. We actively oppose them even from eating leftovers we throw away. The heartlessness from a supposedly Christian nation appalls me... especially given that a large percent of our homeless are veterans whose minds were broken by our nation's use/abuse of them.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
17-07-2015, 04:51 PM
There's this psychologist named Sam Tsemberis who put forth the radical proposition that the cure to homelessness might be as simple as giving them homes. Turns out it had an astounding (to sociologists and shrinks not to regular folk who just went "Well duh.") positive effect. Whoda thunk it.

"Okay," Tsemberis recalls thinking, "they're schizophrenic, alcoholic, traumatized, brain damaged. What if we don't make them pass any tests or fill out any forms? They aren't any good at that stuff. Inability to pass tests and fill out forms was a large part of how they ended up homeless in the first place. Why not just give them a place to live and offer them free counseling and therapy, health care, and let them decide if they want to participate? Why not treat chronically homeless people as human beings and members of our community who have a basic right to housing and health care?"

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-07-2015, 05:23 PM
Mind...
[Image: th?id=JN.LZlpeyNujYjM9jv7LA0WcQ&...mp;amp;P=0]

BLOWN!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
17-07-2015, 06:13 PM
(17-07-2015 04:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There's this psychologist named Sam Tsemberis who put forth the radical proposition that the cure to homelessness might be as simple as giving them homes. Turns out it had an astounding (to sociologists and shrinks not to regular folk who just went "Well duh.") positive effect. Whoda thunk it.

"Okay," Tsemberis recalls thinking, "they're schizophrenic, alcoholic, traumatized, brain damaged. What if we don't make them pass any tests or fill out any forms? They aren't any good at that stuff. Inability to pass tests and fill out forms was a large part of how they ended up homeless in the first place. Why not just give them a place to live and offer them free counseling and therapy, health care, and let them decide if they want to participate? Why not treat chronically homeless people as human beings and members of our community who have a basic right to housing and health care?"

The fact that this is a workable, cost-effective approach that is furiously resisted demonstrates the moral constipation of the moneyed and the conservative.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
17-07-2015, 06:23 PM
Hear, hear!

17-07-2015, 06:32 PM
Chas - That was actually the POINT of my original post, though I articulated it badly. I'm inundated, day in and day out, with piles of "God is Love" and "God has blessed me in my darkest struggles" (et cetera ad nauseam) by every relative I have -- which means I can't exactly delete them on Facebook -- so I just have to sit through scrolling past pages of how wonderfully Christian they are, and they ignore or sneer at anything I post other than pics of my kid or of baby kittens or whatever silly crap like that...

...but when it comes to being a decent human being, I get that kind of response.

I have to keep reminding myself that I'm the "heathen badguy".

17-07-2015, 06:43 PM
(17-07-2015 02:17 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Yak - yeah but check out the article I posted about the "other solutions". We treat our homeless like vermin. In the German circa 1933 sense of the word. We actively oppose them even from eating leftovers we throw away. The heartlessness from a supposedly Christian nation appalls me... especially given that a large percent of our homeless are veterans whose minds were broken by our nation's use/abuse of them.

Oh I'm not denying the existence of the problem, I'm just being my typical dark humored disillusioned cynical bastard self.

I've got nothing against the homeless, nor do I have any interest in taking up the cause. What little sense of empathy I started out with has been hardened over the last 15 years in dealing with shitty people in shitty places, often held back by well intentioned idealists whose rules do more harm than good. If others want to tackle the problem, however, I won't stand in their way, and I sincerely wish them the best of luck. My own solutions are limited to the micro level. If I see a homeless kitten, I might adopt it. It will likely be a more rewarding relationship than even the best of human/human relationships. If I see a homeless person face to face and I'm in a good mood, I might get them a meal, listen to their story, and give some advice. But I'm not gonna progress to the bigger picture.

'Murican Canadian
18-07-2015, 05:04 AM
(11-07-2015 12:38 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yet every city has at least a half dozen "animal rescue centers" --- and if you go to Walmart - they have over 200 types of pet food -- but nothing for the homeless guy trying to scrounge out of the dumpster.........................

What's wrong with this picture???

Walmart destroys its food before throwing in the trash to make salvaging impossible.

I have a great idea for solving the homeless problem. Problem is that most people do not agree with my more humane way of dealing with it as it uses robbing people of some rights in order to solve it. Just make it illegal to be homeless!

A little forced slave labor in exchange for food, water and free housing and once they do find a job, they can hook up with other labor camp slaves to get together to share apartments or cheap housing that might be built for them. Like projects or whatever those are called. Oh, and all houses could be made from one room 3-D printed housing built super cheat the size of a small trailer. Stack them up side by side in an almost "Kowloon walled city" style fashion and sit them on top of of a slab of concrete for flooring and a cot for a bed and some running water and stuff that meets the basic living parameters.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ