America vs Britain in war...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2015, 12:16 PM
RE: America vs Britain in war...
(08-08-2015 08:56 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Old thread, I'm hesitant to jump in except to insert a couple random thoughts after glancing through it, but what the hell...

Oh, don't worry. The thread is dumb all right, but the sane people have covered the major points.

(08-08-2015 08:56 AM)yakherder Wrote:  That said, there are so many variables that make the typical "who would win?" question very difficult to answer.

That's the thing with such hypotheticals; it is impossible to separate them from their surroundings.

(08-08-2015 08:56 AM)yakherder Wrote:  And if it were England invading the U.S., though that sill applies to some degree, it applies less so because of the amount of coastline available from which to invade, not to mention the possibility that Canada who, as a member of the Commonwealth, recognizes the Queen as their commander in chief and may simply give them permission to invade directly from our northern border.

Sure, but the Queen isn't our commander-in-chief. The Governor-General is, acting on behalf of the Crown for the sake of the Realm (and explicitly this one, not those other guys across the ocean). The Queen of Canada and the Queen of the United Kingdom are separate legal persons, even if they happen to have the same avatar.

Historically, on the other hand, this was a very prominent concern in Canada at times. Wariness of potential American militarism during and after the civil war was a strong driver of the original Confederation. My hometown still has a bunch of fortifications built against the eventuality. By the 1920s any real US/UK military confrontation was already in the "possible but extremely unlikely" category and even a Tory government would have immediately declared neutrality and hoped for the best...
(strictly speaking they weren't legally empowered to do so until 1931 but de facto diplomatic and military independence were established by WWI)

(08-08-2015 08:56 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Fun discussion nonetheless, I suppose. Even within the military we talk the same shit. Between the Marines and the Army, or hell even between Army infantry and Army cavalry scouts, we get into some pretty heated discussions over how superior our own guys are. But when shit hits the fan, we know who's on our side. I view the Commonwealth in much the same way at this point, regardless of how history has played out.

In high school a few of us had the opportunity to sit in with some of the staff officers at the Army's command college for an afternoon. That's pretty much exactly what they said, too.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
08-08-2015, 12:49 PM
(08-08-2015 12:16 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Sure, but the Queen isn't our commander-in-chief. The Governor-General is, acting on behalf of the Crown for the sake of the Realm (and explicitly this one, not those other guys across the ocean). The Queen of Canada and the Queen of the United Kingdom are separate legal persons, even if they happen to have the same avatar.

Historically, on the other hand, this was a very prominent concern in Canada at times. Wariness of potential American militarism during and after the civil war was a strong driver of the original Confederation. My hometown still has a bunch of fortifications built against the eventuality. By the 1920s any real US/UK military confrontation was already in the "possible but extremely unlikely" category and even a Tory government would have immediately declared neutrality and hoped for the best...
(strictly speaking they weren't legally empowered to do so until 1931 but de facto diplomatic and military independence were established by WWI)

o/` They're not even a real country, anyway... o/`

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
08-08-2015, 03:32 PM
(29-11-2010 04:44 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  This is a question that often gets asked around where I live. If Britain and America went to war next week; who would win?
Both countries would get a long term glow by night aura.
08-08-2015, 03:34 PM
Canada would beat both. 36 million of us and we all have hockey sticks.
[+] 3 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
08-08-2015, 04:27 PM
(08-08-2015 03:34 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Canada would beat both. 36 million of us and we all have hockey sticks.

Awesome. I love Canadians, for exactly that kind of reply right there. Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
08-08-2015, 05:29 PM
I actually work with Canadian soldiers quite regularly. At my civilianish job in Canada there are a lot of vets. In Vermont, my unit trains with them regularly, as Canada frequently puts soldiers as well as cops assigned to search and rescue through our mountain warfare school, and each year, the Canadian forces invites a group of our own assault climber qualified soldiers to train with them in northern Canada. I've also come across more than a few wearing ranger tabs they earned in the U.S.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
10-08-2015, 02:23 AM
[Image: thumb_white.png?1370832960]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
10-08-2015, 02:28 AM
[Image: america.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
10-08-2015, 07:15 AM
Damn... I click "Like" every time I see something that makes me want to voice strong agreement, or something makes me smile/laugh... I just had to Like every post above.

I needed those grins. Big Grin

10-08-2015, 07:59 AM
IMO the British, and I assume you include the Commonwealth have the better more professional soldiers. Americans don't have a great reputation. The Australian SAS are the most highly trained soldiers on earth followed closely by the British SAS. Not to mention the Ghurkas.

However as far as material and manpower goes the Commonwealth cannot fight the US. The US would win.

But we don't want to fight our allies. How could we take delivery of our F35's??? Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post