America vs Britain in war...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2013, 06:26 PM
RE: America vs Britain in war...
I think its the US hand tied behind their backs without allies. The nuclear power,the more advanced equipment and the amount of soldiers outmatches britain by far more.
But in reality,i imagine india,china and russia becomming allies with britain,and probably the eu(depends on who atacks first)
and it will never happen,because of the allies england will get,will asure mutual losses

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_as...estruction

if rusia and china ever become allies and target america,they would win imo.
But then again,im not very strategic when it comes to warfare

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Part of the reason why the British military is so much smaller today, is precisely because we have powerful allies and therefore don't require vast troop numbers. The Empire was dismantled after WW2, and so the size of territory to defend is significantly reduced. So the British military's main commitments in the 21st century are divided between operating alongside NATO allies, home defense and defending the overseas territories.

America's military serves a completely different purpose, more akin to the British military of the 19th century... protecting interests abroad, projection of power, as well as defense of a large territory. For that you need large numbers.

So today's British Armed Forces couldn't hope to match the US's in scale... for the simple reason that it's not designed to. NATO allowed small Western countries to scale back their military spending, without compromising on security. Unlike Germany, Spain and Italy, Britain retains significant overseas territories, and so maintains an expeditionary capability.

Nuclear arms are less certain. Technically you can't "win" a nuclear war... The UK has approximately 225 warheads, the US has over 5,000... but the UK doesn't have 5000 major industrial targets. If a "win" is defined by who suffers the least number of casualties, Britain could be better placed. The British nuclear stockpile is large enough to devastate every major city on the planet, so to fully commit all nuclear forces against the US would probably do more damage, and kill more people than the US could do to Britain simply due to population differences.

Between the two World Wars the idea of Britain and America going to war was a very real possibility. The Washington Naval Treaty of 1920 was designed to prevent a naval arms race between, what were at the time, the two dominant superpowers. Similar to the NNPT today.

Declassified documents from the '30s show that the US drew up military contingency plans in preparation for a possible war with the British Empire, and the British military had similar plans in place. The US Navy of the time could never hope to match the Royal Navy for size or technology, neither could the US army match the combined force of the British Empire.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-09-2013, 07:51 PM
(20-06-2012 12:46 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  Anyone who knows their history knows that it is literally teeming with examples of massive armies being destroyed by smaller ones because the larger forces think that numbers alone are enough to win.

I'm not saying Britain would win, I have no idea who would win. But anyone who claims that America would win simply because they have a larger army is very short-sighted (and would be a terrible military commander).

Because Operation Barbarossa worked so well for Hitler in the end?
Tongue
I kid, I kid.

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
16-01-2014, 12:15 PM
then again, America is the only country foolish enough to go nuclear. But even I don't think they are stupid enough to go nuclear against another nuclear country.

After that u have to think about all that debt America has...
if a country decided to directly start a war with the US especially a powerful country like the UK there would be a frenzy of people starting to oppose America.
America is in huge debt with nearly every last one of all its allies for example CHINA 1.6 TRILLION and JAPAN 1.2 TRILLION then there is Russia, Germany, France, Mexico, Spain, Italy, Canada, the UK its self... the list goes on
16-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Britain (well, England) has a history of winning battles when we've been heavily outnumbered.

Bring it!
16-01-2014, 06:13 PM
(16-01-2014 12:57 PM)NoraBrimstone Wrote:  Britain (well, England) has a history of winning battles when we've been heavily outnumbered by half naked savages armed with sharp sticks

Bring it!

FYP

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
16-01-2014, 06:16 PM

16-01-2014, 06:40 PM
You all seem to be forgetting the U.S. has God on its side. Duh!

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
16-01-2014, 06:42 PM
(16-01-2014 06:40 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  You all seem to be forgetting the U.S. has God on its side. Duh!

God and a crap load of nukes! Evil_monster

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
16-01-2014, 06:56 PM
(16-01-2014 06:42 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 06:40 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  You all seem to be forgetting the U.S. has God on its side. Duh!

God and a crap load of nukes! Evil_monster

Same thing. Wink

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post