America vs Britain in war...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2014, 07:00 PM
RE: America vs Britain in war...
Well given that a standard phrase here is "About as accurate as a US bombing raid" and that I am a colonial, then I would put my money on the UK.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Actually I might change my mind. I am a woman, so it is allowed. Was it 5 days or 8 days before sending troops to Iraq that the MOD in the UK realised that the US had no information on how to identify allied tanks from the air and they would all be basted to smithereens?
17-01-2014, 01:36 AM
The United States has 13 nuclear super aircraft carriers, each carrying more airpower than the combined air-forces of any nation outside of Great Britain. We spend more than twice on defense and the military than the rest of the UN Security Council combined (that's Russia, China, France, and Great Britain). We suck dealing with insurgents, but in a straight up fight? We have a military industrial complex that hasn't died with the Cold War that ended over two decades ago. I'm confident beyond a reasonable doubt that the United States would come out ahead in such a conflict.

However the fact that our bloated military spending can't be justified in light of the fact that the world's next 10 largest military's are all either allies or neutral to us? Yeah. I really wish our military was small enough that we would be genuinely curious as to whether or not we could win such a conflict. If our military (and the corresponding spending and budget) was reduced to that size, we could have used the money we saved on defense spending to eliminate our debt, feed and house all of our poor, improve and expand public education, rebuild our entire infrastructure, and get back to leading the world by example rather than the use of naked force.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-01-2014, 02:39 AM
If America and Britain went to war, who would win?

Well thats an easy one.

China.
Or the terrorists
Or nobody...
IDGAF

Just pick one and call it a day.
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
17-01-2014, 05:11 AM
The only winners would be the US and that was only if it was total war and involved a nuclear exchange. There is some suggestion that the Brits need American codes to launch their nukes, but then war never breaks out without some process leading up to it so we could assume that they would be made truly independent.

America is huge and so many people own a gun and many more people can get their hands on one. Think of what it would require to occupy that.

On the other hand, if you've ever been to Britain, think what it would require for *any* force to occupy the UK. The whole south east is concreted over. There's rows and rows of really small houses all packed into a small street full of parked cars. Any window could contain a guerilla fighter with a gun, any car a bomb. London has the most CCTV cameras. There are strict gun laws in the UK but conversely, the UK is a major arms exporter. It would be possible to equip the population in a 'we shall fight on the beaches' moment. Although the population would be inexperienced in the use of guns.

Also imagine trying to occupy the highlands and islands of Scotland. There's a reason that Scotland has never actually been conquered (possibly because of the midges ... and the weather).

We're talking about a war here in isolation. The cause of that war is particularly relevant as to whether it is total war or an occupation. Personally speaking, one of my biggest fears is the rise of corporate fascism in the UK. Societies develop along a particular trajectory until the consequences of it become obvious and a backlash develops. America has many checks and balances built into its constitution and government so it never really gets a chance to regret going down the wrong route. On the downside, it means the really conservative elements of its political landscape don't ever fade away. The UK doesn't have those checks and balances though and if it ever became a dictatorship and needed to be occupied by an invading force, it wouldn't be like freeing Germany during WWII.
17-01-2014, 06:38 PM
(29-11-2010 10:25 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I don't think that either country could actually win. It would end either in a peace treaty after both countries have exhausted their resources or a nuclear weapon exchange.

On another note, has anyone else played Advanced Squad Leader? It was an old tactical war game, probably the first to place the players in command of a squad rather than a platoon. It got a lot of awards for creativity, and it was a great game. You could choose to play as the Russians, Americans, British, or Germans during World War Two. Each side had its own strengths and weaknesses.

When the creator was interviewed, he was asked how he captured the "feel" of each army so perfectly. He replied (paraphrased):

"Well, I just thought about what each country's soldiers would do if they were in this situation. See, picture this squad of soldiers in the middle of a forest, and they find a house. They get a radio call from the general, who orders them to hold the house no matter what. So what would they do?
Well, the Russians, they would get up in the house, and then they would fight as heroically as any army to ever be fielded, and take a lot of the enemy down with them. But when it became obvious that it was hopeless, they'd run away.
The Germans... well, in thirty minutes, that house would be a fortress.
The British would stand right where they were when they received the order and fire into the enemy as they charged. They'd kill hundreds of their foes and die where they stood, and their tale would be told in song and story for years to come.
The Americans would stand there for a second, kinda shuffle their feet awkwardly. Then one of them would look up and say 'This is fuckin' stupid. I'm goin' out in the woods to flank the bastards.'"

It made me laugh.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm not called the resident gamer geek for nothin'.
Does anyone know where I can play this game? Sounds fucking fun!
And I have to say America, I mean, we have more weapons, a shifty CIA, and more men...

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
04-07-2014, 06:19 AM
ok America would win

1. America 1,369,532
Britannia 205,850

2. population of America 300,000,000
population of Britain 63 million

America if needed can muster 70 million soldiers
Britain only 23 million

3 england does have better trained
America is trained less but check number 2 steamroller effect would demolish that
ie russia v germany ww2

4. nukes
Britain 225
America 5,113

America also has the most advanced military hardware in the world

in reality all Britain has for her is training and that alone compiled against all other factors can not win a slugging match between superpowers

also one has to go into the details of a conventional total war scenario
America has the production power on its side
production,arsenal,population size vs training

as for Britain's allies most would stay away from that war

Canada being directly in the firing line would almost immediately declare neutrality.....India for some time has been steering more towards eastern allies such as china and russia

the last 2 wars didnt end to well for england when they fought america

true that 1812 ended in a stalemate like ceasefire with nothing lost and nothing gained but lives were still lost

and well the revolution you guys definitely lost that or id say tally ho right about now

cheers
04-07-2014, 06:24 AM
(20-06-2012 02:46 AM)Filox Wrote:  And I was just about to agree with DannyW, until the last sentence. No my friend, no, USA is strong, but there are forces you do not know about and you have your own little biased view. USA equipment uses "Made in China" electronics, what can they mass produce in a war with China? They will be left crippled technologically, plus China has 1.3 billion people, so no country in the world can match their numbers. When USA lifts 100 new and modern planes in the air, China lifts 10000 of older Migs, but it's still 100 times more than you can ever have.

Never, never rule out China as a military force. This fact will be the undoing of USA if you ever go to war with China. I mean, you can't win war against Vietnamese peasants, or Iraqi guerilla fighters, so why do you people think that you are all so superior?

And you always have your old friends, the Russians. You only think they are 100 years behind your technology and that kind of thinking can easily make you slip and loose everything in open conflicts.

There are at least 2 countries that can stand against USA. Who would win remains a mystery, but do not be hasty in your opinions.

no army can defeat guerrilla warfare hell the limeys should know that from the war of independence lol
04-07-2014, 06:37 AM
(10-09-2013 06:26 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  I think its the US hand tied behind their backs without allies. The nuclear power,the more advanced equipment and the amount of soldiers outmatches britain by far more.
But in reality,i imagine india,china and russia becomming allies with britain,and probably the eu(depends on who atacks first)
and it will never happen,because of the allies england will get,will asure mutual losses

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_as...estruction

if rusia and china ever become allies and target america,they would win imo.
But then again,im not very strategic when it comes to warfare

theyd never be allies....

russia,china, and india i foresee creating their own alliance

EU and america batter the living shit out each other than their alliance comes in and cleans house....

well better grab my vodka comrade
04-07-2014, 06:39 AM
(16-01-2014 12:57 PM)NoraBrimstone Wrote:  Britain (well, England) has a history of winning battles when we've been heavily outnumbered.

Bring it!

so does america wink wink revolutionary and 1812 nudge nudge