America vs England arguments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2015, 03:17 AM
RE: America vs England arguments
(16-03-2015 02:18 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Who cares who invented them? The metric is a vastly superior system of measurement. It is idiocy not to join the rest of the world in using the metric system.

I agree. It's kilometres better.

Undecided

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
16-03-2015, 05:23 AM
At least our country doesnt go around dropping bombs on people....

....we just support you with our "special relationship" Blush

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
16-03-2015, 05:42 AM
I got tool sets in my garage that use both the Standard, AND Metric systems of measurement! What kind of backwards society can't keep a mere two systems of measurement in their heads? Damn neanderthals! Dodgy
Tongue

16-03-2015, 06:48 AM
(16-03-2015 05:42 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I got tool sets in my garage that use both the Standard, AND Metric systems of measurement! What kind of backwards society can't keep a mere two systems of measurement in their heads? Damn neanderthals! Dodgy
Tongue

Yabut - plumbing. Weeping

Quote:Plumbing dimensions aren't always what they appear to be. A plastic pipe with a 7/8-inch outside diameter, for instance, is actually called a 1/2-inch pipe because it has a 1/2-inch inside diameter and pipes are usually sized according to their inside diameter (ID). This dimension is also referred to as the nominal size, the size you ask for at a plumbing supplier.
If you are at all unsure about getting the right material, make things perfectly clear by specifying ID for most pipes. In a minority of cases -- flexible copper lines, for example -- pipe is ordered by using the outside diameter (OD).
If you can measure the inside dimension, you're home free. However, often you won't have a way of measuring the inside of the pipe. Holding a ruler against a pipe will give you only a rough idea of the outside diameter. Instead, use a string or a set of calipers for a more exact measurement. Once you find the outside dimension, use the chart on the last page to find the nominal size.
Fittings can be just as confusing. Their inside diameters must be large enough to fit over the pipe's outside diameter so that a half-inch plastic elbow, for example, has an outside diameter of about 1-1/4 inches.
As a rule of thumb, the OD of copper is 1/8 inch greater than its ID, the nominal size. For plastic pipe, measure the OD and subtract 3/8 inch. For threaded and cast-iron, subtract 1/4 inch.
Another mathematical pitfall for a beginning plumber is measuring the length of a pipe running from one fitting to the next. Pipes must fully extend into fixture and fitting sockets, or the joint could leak. Socket depths vary from one pipe size and material to another, so you must account for the depth of each fitting's socket in the total length of pipe needed between fittings.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-03-2015, 06:30 PM
Also, what is it called? A trunk or a boot?

Are they Biscuits? Or cookies? ( any biscuit like thing with sugar in it )

Is it autumn or fall?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
16-03-2015, 07:02 PM
Potato chips are fries in England, which I don't get at all.

In England they call potato chips, potato crisps (which I do kinda get).

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

16-03-2015, 07:43 PM
Yeah, well, I'm a Canuck living in the American South.

"Kilometer" doesn't look right. It's "kilometre." A meter to me is a thing I put coins in when I park in certain places, but a metre stick is a weapon. You'd think by now I could go to a theater not a theatre.

It's a tire. A car has tires, not tyres.

Sometimes... late at night... I call it a zed, not a zee.

Tea is a wondrous thing. Hot, cold, whatever. However, I still can't quite get the hang of Southern sweet tea. People I know here do not understand this. They pretty much only know Lipton or brands like that. They have not experienced Earl Grey, Lady Grey, rooibos, English breakfast, Darjeeling, or real matcha. Oh, Camellia sinensis, you seductive harlot, you. (OK, rooibos and others aren't technically tea, I know.)

And, well, the royal family. OK, well, Philip likes Canada, so he can't be all bad.

True story: My NYC cabbie father never got metric. So when the speed limit signs said "88" he drove 88mph. That's about 142km/h.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
16-03-2015, 09:33 PM
(16-03-2015 06:30 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Also, what is it called? A trunk or a boot?

Are they Biscuits? Or cookies? ( any biscuit like thing with sugar in it )

Is it autumn or fall?

Biscuit or cookie? We need evidence

[Image: giphy.gif]

Conclusion: Cookie

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
17-03-2015, 11:28 AM
Ever since the US 'got' irony and started lovin' Python I've become confused... :-)
17-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Big fan of that 'impeach your President' clause btw. Got a few ministerial and royal candidates here ....
[+] 1 user Likes Kitson's post