America you beauty! Round of applause to you good sirs and siresses.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2016, 10:19 PM
America you beauty! Round of applause to you good sirs and siresses.
I almost died when I read it I could hardly believe it.
You're phasing out private operated prisons.

Holy fucking shit, this is the single greatest thing you guys have done for yourselves in sooo long. I can't stress how fantastic of a decision this is for your fucking retarded justice system. I have faith America, you have renewed by faith that even though you're gonna elect a toss pot this year, you're gonna be a bit of alright in the future.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like earmuffs's post
18-08-2016, 10:47 PM
RE: America you beauty! Round of applause to you good sirs and siresses.
(18-08-2016 10:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I almost died when I read it I could hardly believe it.
You're phasing out private operated prisons.

Holy fucking shit, this is the single greatest thing you guys have done for yourselves in sooo long. I can't stress how fantastic of a decision this is for your fucking retarded justice system. I have faith America, you have renewed by faith that even though you're gonna elect a toss pot this year, you're gonna be a bit of alright in the future.

Hold your praise there Tonto...

It is a great step in the right direction, but as I understand it at the federal level thus far it's not going to affect that much of our prison population. But it is a precedent that will hopefully spread to the state level and is a very good sign that we might be open to changing policies to correct the horribly disproportionate incarceration that happens everywhere. Time will tell.

Pray for us, earmuffs...

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 12 users Like evenheathen's post
19-08-2016, 04:22 AM
Yep.

Most private prisons are used by states, not the feds, and the states don't give a rat's ass what the feds do. Indeed, many openly defy federal attempts to improve their state prisons, unless it is mandated they do so (such as the Prison Rape Elimination Act, PREA, which they nevertheless employ in the most barbaric and humiliating ways possible, so as to discourage people from taking advantage of its protections), and even sometimes in the face of financial incentives such as the "accreditation" system by which states could get some federal money for their prisons if they met standards of cell size per inmate, cleanliness, health, safety, and so on. States basically said, "Nah, bro, we're cool. Fuck those guys."

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
19-08-2016, 05:13 AM
Nawwww .... They're just going public - and offering an IPO......

It's the American Way..

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
19-08-2016, 06:44 AM
(19-08-2016 04:22 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Yep.

Most private prisons are used by states, not the feds, and the states don't give a rat's ass what the feds do. Indeed, many openly defy federal attempts to improve their state prisons, unless it is mandated they do so (such as the Prison Rape Elimination Act, PREA, which they nevertheless employ in the most barbaric and humiliating ways possible, so as to discourage people from taking advantage of its protections), and even sometimes in the face of financial incentives such as the "accreditation" system by which states could get some federal money for their prisons if they met standards of cell size per inmate, cleanliness, health, safety, and so on. States basically said, "Nah, bro, we're cool. Fuck those guys."

Angry

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-08-2016, 06:48 AM
Yup, we’re cleaning up our prisons, turning them into theme parks and sending the inmates to some island called New Zealand.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
19-08-2016, 07:01 AM
"A generation ago, amid a rise in crime rates, state and federal lawmakers began passing “tough on crime” laws, including mandatory minimum sentences for drug possession.

That led to a huge increase in incarceration rates; at the federal level, the inmate population swelled nearly 800 percent from 1980 to 2013, when it peaked at 220,000. As crime rates have now fallen to or near four-decade lows, political leaders at the state and federal levels and across the ideological divide — some focused on the cost to taxpayers, some on human costs — have increasingly agreed that too many people are behind bars.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/19/us/us-...Multimedia

The bolded text above counters the constant parroting that there is more crime than ever. Maybe it’s that communication is instanteneous nowadays and we know about every crime that happens anywhere in the world, it just appears there is more.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
19-08-2016, 07:08 AM
(19-08-2016 04:22 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Yep.

Most private prisons are used by states, not the feds, and the states don't give a rat's ass what the feds do. Indeed, many openly defy federal attempts to improve their state prisons, unless it is mandated they do so...

... America never ceases to baffle me...

But hey, even if it just the federal government, it's a step in the right direct for the nation.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
19-08-2016, 07:13 AM
(19-08-2016 07:01 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  "A generation ago, amid a rise in crime rates, state and federal lawmakers began passing “tough on crime” laws, including mandatory minimum sentences for drug possession.

That led to a huge increase in incarceration rates; at the federal level, the inmate population swelled nearly 800 percent from 1980 to 2013, when it peaked at 220,000. As crime rates have now fallen to or near four-decade lows, political leaders at the state and federal levels and across the ideological divide — some focused on the cost to taxpayers, some on human costs — have increasingly agreed that too many people are behind bars.”

So, you're saying that there is a correlation between increased incarceration and reduction in crime.

Well, erm, Consider I guess the system is working, then.

Angel

19-08-2016, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2016 07:38 AM by Full Circle.)
(19-08-2016 07:13 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 07:01 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  "A generation ago, amid a rise in crime rates, state and federal lawmakers began passing “tough on crime” laws, including mandatory minimum sentences for drug possession.

So, you're saying that there is a correlation between increased incarceration and reduction in crime.

Well, erm, Consider I guess the system is working, then.

Angel

It may have to do with the “War on Drugs” campaign finally losing steam and the end of incarcerating for years anyone and everyone caught with small quantities of drugs.

From the article:

"The Obama administration in its first term worked with Congress to reduce the disparity in sentencing for crack versus powder forms of cocaine. And in 2013, Eric H. Holder Jr., the attorney general at the time, announced several changes intended to reduce incarceration, including a policy of not listing specific quantities of drugs in indictments, to avoid bringing mandatory minimum sentencing laws into play.”

[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post