American Atheists Billboard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2012, 01:38 PM
American Atheists Billboard
A recent billboard that was erected by American Atheists have been causing a stir in the city where I work.

It's about Slaves obeying Masters. They put it up in a mostly black neighborhood. People are really offended. most so the Christians...

The Billboard Story.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2012, 01:45 PM
RE: American Atheists Billboard
I think it might be a little bit in bad taste. If the message was indeed meant to combat the recent laws being passed then the sign should more clearly indicate that. They leave it kind of vague and make the writing stating where this was found really small while atheist stands out really big.
Most people won't read an entire message, they will just pick out key words. That makes atheists look bad.
Otherwise it's a novel attempt to make people look at the book they all say they want to be deciding how everyone lives.

But I like how the message was clearly lost on the Mayor.

"I'll continue to pray for the atheists, that they may find Jesus Christ one day," said Mayor Linda Thompson, who is the capital city's first African-American mayor.

Uhhhhh.... derp... if we all followed the bible she wouldn't be mayor now would she?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
06-03-2012, 02:33 PM
I think it's in poor taste but I've heard far worse come from the mouths of Christians. There are better ways to protest something than to piss off large groups of people.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
06-03-2012, 10:05 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2012 10:17 PM by Thomas.)
It did get them on the TV news.

The representative thinks more people will be encouraged to read the bible? Let's hope so. Maybe they will look for the passage that affirms slavery.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 3 users Like Thomas's post
06-03-2012, 10:11 PM
It's not something that I would have supported, but those cats certainly knew what they were doing and it ought to make people think. The problem to me is, using the word Atheist. I imagine the majority of people will be offended, but then just write it off as angry god-haters. It's sort of like watching a campaign ad about your favorite candidate being bashed by the other party. It usually goes in one ear and out the other as soon as you recognize the source. It's too bad they couldn't have used a neutral organization name. I think it would have seemed more credible to people if they didn't see the word Atheist.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
06-03-2012, 10:16 PM
(06-03-2012 10:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  It's not something that I would have supported, but those cats certainly knew what they were doing and it ought to make people think. The problem to me is, using the word Atheist. I imagine the majority of people will be offended, but then just write it off as angry god-haters. It's sort of like watching a campaign ad about your favorite candidate being bashed by the other party. It usually goes in one ear and out the other as soon as you recognize the source. It's too bad they couldn't have used a neutral organization name. I think it would have seemed more credible to people if they didn't see the word Atheist.

Nicely said. So how about starting a so called christian religion and calling for everything in the bible as literally true, including the enslavement of dark skin people to serve the lighter skin based on the curse of Hamm.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
06-03-2012, 10:26 PM
(06-03-2012 10:16 PM)Thomas Wrote:  
(06-03-2012 10:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  It's not something that I would have supported, but those cats certainly knew what they were doing and it ought to make people think. The problem to me is, using the word Atheist. I imagine the majority of people will be offended, but then just write it off as angry god-haters. It's sort of like watching a campaign ad about your favorite candidate being bashed by the other party. It usually goes in one ear and out the other as soon as you recognize the source. It's too bad they couldn't have used a neutral organization name. I think it would have seemed more credible to people if they didn't see the word Atheist.

Nicely said. So how about starting a so called christian religion and calling for everything in the bible as literally true, including the enslavement of dark skin people to serve the lighter skin based on the curse of Hamm.

Not a bad idea. Can we include being gods of our own planets and populating them with our many wives?

This also makes me think of the "I'm a Mormon" tv ads. Seems a little too convenient that these ads coincide with Romney's run for president. I'm still waiting for the ad that says, "I'm a Mormon and I baptize dead Jews."

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
07-03-2012, 08:23 AM
UPDATE!!

Last night, vandals tore the billboard down.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.s...lboar.html

07-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Not really surprising is it? The same Christians who claim that their freedom of speech is being taken were also the first to get the bus billboards taken down in Vancouver. I figured it wouldn't take long.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
07-03-2012, 08:57 AM
Yes, the Christian Taliban. I suggested a new Billboard that mentions where Jesus said that children who don't listen should be killed in accordance to old testement law.

Show a picture of Jesus with a gun or something.

[+] 2 users Like FaceOfBoe's post