Poll: Will you be marking your bills?
Yes
No
I would if I had 'In God we Trust' money.
[Show Results]

American Atheists! Mark your bills!

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
07-05-2011, 07:57 PM
RE: American Atheists! Mark your bills!
It's not to draw attention from the government; that was simply a metaphor. It's to stand up to the majority of the Christians in this country and show them they can't win everything. Everything starts via small steps and this would be a great foundation to create awareness of Atheists and Atheism among the country. You have to understand where I am from most people are modern idiots and don't have their facts straight.

The fish who keeps on swimming is the first to chill upstream.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2011, 08:58 PM

If you want complete separation of state and church start by taking the word "God" off American currency.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LittleOne's post
07-05-2011, 09:10 PM
So take it off, don't just cover it up.

Petition, rally, protest.

When the Iraqis wanted Saddam off their currency, they didn't reach for the magic markers.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
07-05-2011, 09:22 PM

Atheist Dollar Bill
[Image: AtheistDollar.jpg]

Excellent and simple idea. I like it. The only precaution I would make is when you prepare to hand over your paper money in retail locations, make sure the bills are all face up. Otherwise, there stands the chance a cashier will see the editing with the marker and if they see one they may check all. In which case, you'd have some explaining to do if discovered to be handing over a lot of bills with the same handwriting, ink, and "atheism" inscribed in place of God.
Now days, with paranoia and national security one and the same, it could get you detained or even arrested as a person of interest for who knows what charge, since defacing currency is illegal.

I do think this is a great idea though. Especially since there's been news recently that atheist bus ad's are disappearing! It seem as if freedom of speech is not intended to be free for everyone. While the irony that regardless of paying for those bus ad's and even in cases where billboard ad's by atheists can be refused, making a free handed statement on currency still sends the message.

I love it.
08-05-2011, 07:12 AM
(07-05-2011 09:10 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  So take it off, don't just cover it up.

Petition, rally, protest.

When the Iraqis wanted Saddam off their currency, they didn't reach for the magic markers.

I'm with you on this, I don't see the point. And, given the rate that money is taken out of circulation, you could do this for decades and never make a dent.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
08-05-2011, 10:33 AM
It's not illegal to deface American bills anymore and I'm not sure where you read that at but it's wrong. I've seen many dollars around since 1972 but honestly they stay in circulation for a good while especially the new currency. It just depends on the bills condition.

Source - Uncle who is a supervisor at the Department of Treasury in Washington, D.C.

The fish who keeps on swimming is the first to chill upstream.
08-05-2011, 03:00 PM
I checked the link in GassyKitten's post and found this statement:
Quote:Defacement of currency in such a way that it is made unfit for circulation comes under the jurisdiction of the United States Secret Service.
Since what you are proposing doesn't make the money unfit for circulation it seems that it doesn't meet the legal definition of defacement.

As a Christian, I think the phrase "In God we trust" is inappropriate because it simply isn't true. Our government doesn't trust in God or base its policies on God's laws and it seems hypocritical to claim it does. We should either remove the motto or start living up to it.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes theophilus's post
08-05-2011, 10:47 PM
(08-05-2011 03:00 PM)theophilus Wrote:  As a Christian, I think the phrase "In God we trust" is inappropriate because it simply isn't true. Our government doesn't trust in God or base its policies on God's laws and it seems hypocritical to claim it does. We should either remove the motto or start living up to it.

That is the first post I have read by you that I agree with.

Oh, by the way, speaking about trusting in god, did you sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor like jesus told you to do?

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
09-05-2011, 10:51 AM
(08-05-2011 10:47 PM)No J. Wrote:  Oh, by the way, speaking about trusting in god, did you sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor like jesus told you to do?
He has never told me to do this. He only gave that command to one person, and the purpose was to test him to see if he was really ready to put God first in his life. I try to obey God in the way I use my possessions and I do give to people who are in need.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2011, 04:17 PM

I like this.

Did it on all my $ bills.