American Atheists place sign in Times Square

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2012, 02:33 PM
American Atheists place sign in Times Square
They do this annually.

This year's sign seemed to hit a nerve with the Catholics.

Read here.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
12-12-2012, 02:40 PM
RE: American Atheists place sign in Times Square
I like the last quote in that article.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like lucradis's post
12-12-2012, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2012 04:06 PM by Vosur.)
I can't say I agree with David Silverman when he claims that "most Christians are really atheists who feel trapped in their family’s religion". Neither is there a way for him to know this, nor is there a way for him to validate his assertion. As such, it's hardly anything but an intentionally provocative statement that shouldn't have been made by a reasonable person.

At the same time, I also don't agree with Bill Donohue who says that "when you depict Jesus on the cross with a crown of thorns, this is exploitative. We as Christians never harass, intimidate or insult atheists. But they can't seem to say, 'We simply disagree with you.' They have to insult us." Not only is this demonstrably false, but it is a slap to the face for every non-believer on the globe who suffers from the consequences of coming out as an unbeliever to his friends and family. Additionally, the very doctrine of Catholicism teaches that everyone who doesn't worship the Christian deity Yahweh will go to hell, because they are filthy sinners, not worthy of heaven. Frankly, I don't see how calling Jesus a myth is an insult to Catholics. It appears to be another case of equating oneself with ones belief, consequently feeling insulted if someone attacks the latter.

Unfortunately, both sides are being hypocritical to some extent. No

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 13 users Like Vosur's post
12-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Both sides are acting immature IMO, and like Vosur said, saying false things about each other.

It's silly.

There's nothing insulting about the sign... no more insulting than the "God" signs are towards atheists.

[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
12-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Third to last sentence in the article:
"We as Christians never harass, intimidate or insult atheists."

Oh really? Do you live on this planet? Didn't think so...

Silence is only golden when it's not synonymous with a failure to speak out against injustice.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes." --Gene Roddenberry
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
12-12-2012, 03:02 PM
(12-12-2012 03:01 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Do you live on this planet?
Sadly enough, they do.

(Sorry, KC Tongue)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
12-12-2012, 03:05 PM
(12-12-2012 02:48 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Additionally, the very doctrine of Catholicism teaches that everyone who doesn't worship the Christian deity Yahweh will got to hell, because they are filthy sinners, not worthy of heaven.
This is a minor point, but that's not completely correct. Catholicism does allow for people to go to heaven who worship other deities with dedication and in full "ignorance" of the "correct" god.

Silence is only golden when it's not synonymous with a failure to speak out against injustice.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes." --Gene Roddenberry
12-12-2012, 03:06 PM
(12-12-2012 03:01 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Third to last sentence in the article:

Well... in all fairness... based on the context, I think he probably meant organized Christian groups funding intentionally insulting and malicious commercials, billboard, etc. towards atheists for the public.

I don't think he meant Christians in a collective sense.

12-12-2012, 03:10 PM
(12-12-2012 02:59 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Both sides are acting immature IMO, and like Vosur said, saying false things about each other.

It's silly.

There's nothing insulting about the sign... no more insulting than the "God" signs are towards atheists.
Yeah, they seem to be insulted in part because Jesus is depicted on the cross with thorns. It's ironic coming from a church that has Jesus with thorns on just about every crucifix on or in its churches.

12-12-2012, 03:11 PM
(12-12-2012 03:06 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 03:01 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Third to last sentence in the article:

Well... in all fairness... based on the context, I think he probably meant organized Christian groups funding intentionally insulting and malicious commercials, billboard, etc. towards atheists for the public.

I don't think he meant Christians in a collective sense.
If so, he didn't say so. And what about laws allowing for the arrest of atheists? They go far beyond signs...

Edit:
I should add that I don't mean Christians collectively either, but that sign wasn't posted by atheists collectively either.

[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post